Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Don't mess up your cars guys.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:10 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Don't mess up your cars guys.
There are things even full PPF and ceramic coating can’t protect. Drive fast. F- value. Need paint.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:32 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Local high end body shop has never had any difficulty w/ adding painted trim to wife’s Boxster (RS Orange) or either of my two PTS 991s (Birch and Linden Green). Perfectly matched by their machines and records. I got my touch paint from them. Did washer nozzles and wart on the .2 GT3 since factory refused to do in PTS.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:11 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Something to think about on getting PTS for sure!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:05 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=GT3;15548509]

Really? Post the link to the Porsche Pure Green Y56 paint formula for the 991 and I’ll pay you $100. RAL6037

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/7dfc3f07-4001-4640-92f8-3a537137ec0e[/img]
send my money

Last edited by James Walker; 01-07-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:16 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Local high end body shop has never had any difficulty w/ adding painted trim to wife’s Boxster (RS Orange) or either of my two PTS 991s (Birch and Linden Green). Perfectly matched by their machines and records. I got my touch paint from them. Did washer nozzles and wart on the .2 GT3 since factory refused to do in PTS.

Nice work...
Old 01-07-2019, 10:29 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Even if they gave you the formula the chances of it matching are limited. It is up to each paint system company to generate formulas with their tints,etc that match the OEM finish. Even then, there are usually a number of alternate formula's that each company has. "darker", "lighter", "finer" etc.

A good shop never mixes to formula and shoots that as a given match anyway. They start with the color code, do a few sprayouts with careful notes regarding pressures, setup, undercoat, number of passes, etc adjust and get the color as close as possible, and blend mating panels.

If you have the color code for the color that is as close as you are going to get. The main downside you face is that it is not like 10K cars were painted in that color from a big batch tank with a robotic spray system so the color match for your car is going to be unique.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:35 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by James Walker
This is somewhat embarrassing, isn’t it?

It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for. Perhaps searching can help.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:30 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

It can be tough for reputable paint shops to even get the standard colors right. Note that they painted my replacement agate grey tow hook cap too dark. Fortunately, the dealership will replace free of charge with what will hopefully be the correct color.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3

Really? Post the link to the Porsche Pure Green Y56 paint formula for the 991 and I’ll pay you $100. RAL6037 does not count.

Send my money
Old 01-08-2019, 12:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

sorry for your trouble but I have much of the same experience. after 30 years of buying Porsches, I chuckle.. bc there is nothing else I can do.

Originally Posted by fxz
Did anyone at dealer, from Porsche, on Rennlist, wherever, told you when you bought your PTS 991 that the paint formula can not be disclosed neither to the car owner? That touch-up bs indeed will never replicate the exact color nor Glasurit have the right formulas (just approximative ones)
so the solution is

1 you go to the local dealer (for the car lifetime??) and cross the fingers they know how to handle that crap CXX or PTS stuff

2 you go to your paint shop and they will scan the color which will turn in a 99% correct formula

After spending 200k for s car this is simply the most rubbish customer service ever

some cultures do not understand service. study their history and culture, you will agree.

the formula is published by the paint manufacturer, it’s not a secret.
then after spending $10k+ on the PTS color I think porsche should help and let you know what it is. and preferably provide a can of spare.
when I order mushu pork, I know the skin can be bought, it's not a secret recipe. but usually my mushu pork comes with the skin. why can't a $200k car come with a tube of paint? SERVICE may not be understood in that part of the world.

Originally Posted by krell
Germans being German.
I see u know that.

Originally Posted by fxz
this the reply from Porsche Germsny

" unfortunately, I got the following information. It´s not allowed giving out the formula. I know, the external painter has often problems to create the original colour. He can only try to copy it from a other part of your car(optical scanner) "

that is you have a PTS? Go to a Porsche dealer for the car lifetime and pray they have the knowledge how to handle it

in my case my local Porsche deeler came out first with the wrong formula (glasurit based) then with an opticsl scanner..

So dear P AG eitherways you disclose the formula through an nda to the car owner
or you have to properly instruct with exams all the porsche dealer network on how exactly a PTS a CXX must be handled

i can t imagine how this will be in 10 years when everyone will have forgotten all the thousands paint combination

wasn t easier to provide a damn paint formula??
I have had MANY contact with our clients from parts off the world were porsche is made and many interactions with PAG as well.
they move slow
usually very polite
but tell you nothing of value.

it is very frustrating I know....

I much rather they just tell me yes, no, go fk yourself.
polite with ambiguous answer drives me nuts.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:50 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
sorry for your trouble but I have much of the same experience. after 30 years of buying Porsches, I chuckle.. bc there is nothing else I can do.

some cultures do not understand service. study their history and culture, you will agree.[LEFT]

then after spending $10k+ on the PTS color I think porsche should help and let you know what it is. and preferably provide a can of spare.
when I order mushu pork, I know the skin can be bought, it's not a secret recipe. but usually my mushu pork comes with the skin. why can't a $200k car come with a tube of paint? SERVICE may not be understood in that part of the world.

I see u know that.

I have had MANY contact with our clients from parts off the world were porsche is made and many interactions with PAG as well.
they move slow
usually very polite
but tell you nothing of value.

it is very frustrating I know....

I much rather they just tell me yes, no, go fk yourself.
polite with ambiguous answer drives me nuts.
totally agree

they can keep their stupid secrets that all the competitors know except their customers

in 2018 i can not spend 200 for paint plus porsche damn taxes to buy 1 liter of f*g paint

they prefer people try to guess it by spraying left n right or going to the porsche dealer
to check their failing willingness roulette

i don t think is the way to implement a service
anyhow i have some ltd free time and i ll share the outcome

Last edited by fxz; 01-08-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:14 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

The reason why some painted surfaces won't match the code is because they use different colored primer on different body parts to neutralize the different materials. Carbon does not absorb paint the same way as aluminum or magnesium or steel or plastic.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Send my money
Thanks James. I hope that’s correct. Getting it checked out this week and will let you know.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:21 PM
hushypushy
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Send my money

GT3 asked for Pure Green Y56...that screen says R9A, which is "Sand White". How would you get a bright green by mixing white with a bit of black and yellow?

Quick Reply: Porsche PTS (another) crap customer service