Manthey Racing components in U.S.A. - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Manthey Racing components in U.S.A.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:36 PM
  #46  
krell
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
krell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 219
Default

Originally Posted by ilovecarbs View Post
Never seen anyone run the front cup lip on the regular bumper. Are there higher res pics of this? Curious to see what the sides look like up close since they're missing the vertical trim pieces that connect to the cup fender flares.
I'd be interested in this too. Would keeping the stock GT3 wing be ok if the Cup lip was added? On the surface adding more front downforce to a rear engined car seems like a good idea but I'd like to know more.
krell is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:43 PM
  #47  
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
GrantG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 9,235
Default

Originally Posted by krell View Post
I'd be interested in this too. Would keeping the stock GT3 wing be ok if the Cup lip was added? On the surface adding more front downforce to a rear engined car seems like a good idea but I'd like to know more.
Adding more front downforce could be a good thing up to a point, but at really high speeds it could be a very bad idea without balancing with more rear downforce. Suppose you are at Nürburgring or some place with very high speed corners. More downforce would push the front tires further into the track (good) but it would tend to raise the rear of the car like a teeter-totter (bad). I wouldn't do one without the other...

Maybe using the high downforce setting on rear wing would be enough to offset the extra downforce on most tracks - would have to inquire of Manthey.
GrantG is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:00 PM
  #48  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,945
Default

funny that MR do not mention the (cup) front splitter/lip in their MR product catalog; esp since even with the OEM wing, the manual states that on high df setting some additional understeer may be experienced?
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:07 PM
  #49  
krell
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
krell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 219
Default

Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
Adding more front downforce could be a good thing up to a point, but at really high speeds it could be a very bad idea without balancing with more rear downforce. Suppose you are at Nürburgring or some place with very high speed corners. More downforce would push the front tires further into the track (good) but it would tend to raise the rear of the car like a teeter-totter (bad). I wouldn't do one without the other...

Maybe using the high downforce setting on rear wing would be enough to offset the extra downforce on most tracks - would have to inquire of Manthey.
It's all speculation to some degree, hence the request for more information. Does 311RS have specific (empirical?) data and feedback from MR that shows you can run the front Cup lip on its own with the OEM rear wing.

High speed corners? You mean like The Kink at Road America? Eh, it's only 105mph through there in my M3 on slicks without aero.
krell is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:10 PM
  #50  
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
GrantG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 9,235
Default

Originally Posted by krell View Post
High speed corners? You mean like The Kink at Road America? Eh, it's only 105mph through there in my M3 on slicks without aero.
Or the approach to Schwedenkreuz at the Nürburgring where speeds are nearly 160 mph. You want your rear end tied down there!
GrantG is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:12 PM
  #51  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,945
Default

Originally Posted by krell View Post
It's all speculation to some degree, hence the request for more information. Does 311RS have specific (empirical?) data and feedback from MR that shows you can run the front Cup lip on its own with the OEM rear wing.

High speed corners? You mean like The Kink at Road America? Eh, it's only 105mph through there in my M3 on slicks without aero.
worth noting that the manual warns about incremental understeer when the OEM wing is in high DF mode ... question is how much more DF does the Manthey Wing add over the OEM - clearly (Manthey) who know their stuff have installed the cup splitter to counter that, however they make no mention of it as part of their MR kit in their catalog???
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:16 PM
  #52  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,945
Default

Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
Or the approach to Schwedenkreuz at the Nürburgring where speeds are nearly 160 mph. You want your rear end tied down there!
+1 Not too mention you really don't want *less* front traction (or any imbalance in grip at either end) once you crest it!!! you only have to browse youtube to see all the calamities that occur when a car "gets out of shape" on that downhill left hander between the crest of Schwendenkreuz and the downhill straight into to Aremberg ...
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:20 PM
  #53  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,945
Default

Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
Or the approach to Schwedenkreuz at the Nürburgring where speeds are nearly 160 mph. You want your rear end tied down there!
another one is the Kesselchen "kink" Ive never been able to go thru that without a "confidence" lift just before turn in, until I took the .2 GT3 there ... car understeers on the exit anyway and at those speeds you use up *all* the track as it is ... having more push there could get ugly fast!

So anyone know of a source for the cup lip?
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:30 PM
  #54  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,945
Default

Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
Adding more front downforce could be a good thing up to a point, but at really high speeds it could be a very bad idea without balancing with more rear downforce. Suppose you are at Nürburgring or some place with very high speed corners. More downforce would push the front tires further into the track (good) but it would tend to raise the rear of the car like a teeter-totter (bad). I wouldn't do one without the other...

Maybe using the high downforce setting on rear wing would be enough to offset the extra downforce on most tracks - would have to inquire of Manthey.
I also wonder if they increase the rear spring rates to compensate?
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:34 PM
  #55  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,945
Default

Originally Posted by Szpet View Post
The wing is really big but very discreet.


holy sh*t! ... that is huge compared to the OEM wing ... so whats' your experience with it? - obviously much less rear vis ... but how about the handling - and did you combine with other MR mods or not?
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:13 PM
  #56  
krell
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
krell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 219
Default

Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
Or the approach to Schwedenkreuz at the Nürburgring where speeds are nearly 160 mph. You want your rear end tied down there!
Indeed!

The Kink is a bit of a pucker as there are concrete walls about two car widths off the track, and they bear a lot of paint from impacts over the years.
krell is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:43 PM
  #57  
Szpet
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Szpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 147
Default


The front lip is the Cup lip with Mantheys own sides that are wider. The sides are still prototypes.


Szpet is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 PM
  #58  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,945
Default

Originally Posted by Szpet View Post

The front lip is the Cup lip with Mantheys own sides that are wider. The sides are still prototypes.


very cool, I wonder when MR will offer this as part of their aero kit?

any comments on your experience with the MR wing on your car?
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:26 PM
  #59  
311RS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
311RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 170
Default

We've emailed to ask about the use of the Cup front lip in combination with the larger rear wing - will report back. We weren't part of the development of that setup so cannot comment much other than the obvious, clearly they were attempting to balance with the larger rear wing.

Here's a clearer picture of the latest front lip setup on the Manthey Racing 991.2 GT3, taken in September during our visit. Also - note the extreme angle that the rear wing is set at.

__________________
311RS - Minneapolis-based Motorsport development firm

phone - (612) 547-9311 email - [email protected] web - www.311RS.com
311RS is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:36 PM
  #60  
ilovecarbs
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 115
Default

Originally Posted by 311RS View Post
We've emailed to ask about the use of the Cup front lip in combination with the larger rear wing - will report back. We weren't part of the development of that setup so cannot comment much other than the obvious, clearly they were attempting to balance with the larger rear wing.

Here's a clearer picture of the latest front lip setup on the Manthey Racing 991.2 GT3, taken in September during our visit. Also - note the extreme angle that the rear wing is set at.

Can you inquire with MR about when the vertical side pieces for use with the cup lip will be available? Very interested in this.
ilovecarbs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: