Sponsored by:

Lizard RS with FabSpeed side bypass + Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 05:47 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lizard RS with FabSpeed side bypass + Pictures

As some of you might remember I was seeking some help with removal of rear bumper from RS as it's slightly different from the 991.1 GT3 I had. With some input from you guys I got it off ok after jacking it up which did provide enough space to get in there and lose screws I couldn't otherwise have got to. Also thank you to @Loess who reminded me of the hidden screw under the wheel liner. So other than a few different screws holding on the .2 RS bumper the only other real difference (if you're using Matt Moreman's video as a reference) is that the .2 has a back-up camera so that wiring needs to be disconnected. So for back up camera and license plate light you need to un-do three connectors. Why is every electrical connector on a car different?? Anyway with a bit of time they all came apart and the bumper was off. Then it was a fairly easy job of removing the OEM side mufflers and replacing them with the Fabspeed bypasses. Even though I got the valved bypass I decided, to begin with, to leave the valves disconnected and see how I got on. I don't really care about drone too much as I don't use the car to go touring in and I've always found if it starts droning I just feather the throttle a bit of drop a gear. I just wanted the option if I choose to connect them up later - a two minute job. So far I've had no issues with drone btw - should add that I NEVER drive the car in auto though, always on the paddles.
One thing that did catch me out after connecting everything up was the alignment of the OEM center muffler. I was looking at the location of the valves wrt the diffuser and spent a while trying to figure out why the muffler looked to be dead center yet the valves were mis-aligned with the diffuser. I couldn't see the wood for the trees!! If you look at the photo below you can see that the LHS and RHS of the diffuser are not symmetrical. So I was trying to fix a problem that didn't exist!! I'd just assumed the diffuser was the same both sides.
So we're all good and happy with the quality of the Fabspeed bypasses for sure. How does it sound? Well it is deeper and from the cabin marginally louder. The wife says, with rolling eyes, that it is definitely louder but I'm not sure its going to be loud enough for me yet? I will drive for a while longer before deciding if a center bypass is also needed? I haven't made any videos of the car as I've never seen one yet that reflects the real quality. However, when messing around with a buddy he took a few clips with iPhone hanging out of his car window - not great quality at all so please don't expect much.

I've also included a few pictures of the internals and externals of the titanium center muffler and tips as I love the colors they have turned. I really like the OEM tips and think that if I do add a center bypass I will have to get one where I can use the OEM tips.

Fabspeed valved side muffler bypass

Bits and pieces!!

Titanium colors of OEM muffler

Just got to leak test the joints now

Internals of OEM center muffler

Left OEM exhaust tip

Right OEM exhaust tip

LHS of the rear diffuser - note cut out size and position of the valve line connector compared to the RHS in next photo

RHS of rear diffuser - cut out smaller than LHS and valve line outside of diffuser

The extraction is complete!!
Old 01-06-2019, 05:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Cool, I have the same with a steel OEM center.
I will bolt over on the .2RS Lizard
Old 01-06-2019, 10:55 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice - thanks for posting. Did you have to use use anti-seize paste on any of the bolts?
Old 01-06-2019, 11:05 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Nice work! You will feel it’s too quiet shortly, lol.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:59 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by audiophilitis
Nice - thanks for posting. Did you have to use use anti-seize paste on any of the bolts?
I’m no expert but I’ve never used anti-seize on any exhaust system and never had an issue when returning to OEM.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:01 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fastmd
Nice work! You will feel it’s too quiet shortly, lol.
I think I, deep down, knew this before I started lol!! Appreciate ur help on this one ☝️.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:51 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

nice

Quick Reply: Lizard RS with FabSpeed side bypass + Pictures