Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes Headers that increase power for the .2 without any CEL issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:01 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Who makes Headers that increase power for the .2 without any CEL issues?

I want to go for a full exhaust setup that adds hp and cuts weight, but don’t want to remap or have engine light issues or similar.

Anything out there? I know Dundon are working on it and so are JCR.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2019, 12:14 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

GMG, I believe. Akra u have to refresh to remove CEl.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:30 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
GMG, I believe. Akra u have to refresh to remove CEl.
Akra says you have to do an ECU flash in their sales and marketing language, but I’ve been using nothing but an O2 spacer with their race headers (high flow cats and no side mufflers). No CEL. Others have been running the same system with no spacer, and still no CEL.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:53 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
I want to go for a full exhaust setup that adds hp and cuts weight, but don’t want to remap or have engine light issues or similar.

Anything out there? I know Dundon are working on it and so are JCR.

Thanks
We have it, full street setup and loud muffler many many installed.

https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/po...aders?carid=40

991.2 GT3 Dundon Street Headers,

jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 01-07-2019, 06:46 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

We will be releasing end of the month, we have stuck to catless in our design. Reality is that with sensible design, EL runners, correct tapers, port matching and a high quality collector the majority of the gains associated to aftermarket headers come from removing the restrictive factory cats. Without cats its really impossible to guarantee no CEL without some form of additional electronic trickery.

In testing we have never had a CEL but thats not to say that we won't, the .2 sensitivity is up as many have discussed.

Our design focusses on all of the above but I would never go as far to claim that we will guarantee no CEL even though in reality its highly unlikely.

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 01-07-2019, 01:40 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

We are using a very high flowing cat from HJS Germany and do not have any CEL lights. Using cats is ideal for a dual purpose setup that can still be comfortably street driven and not have to worry about engine lights. Through design, sensor placement and rigorous testing, we were able to release them over two years ago with no engine light issues to this day. This design has given us great mid-range torque gains that translate to usable power on corner exit at the track, and all around drive-ability on the road. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me via call or email for more information

Video:

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 01-07-2019, 01:50 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I had a set of Dundon race headers on my GT4, first set delivered, with around 18,000 miles on them when I traded the car. I never had a CEL. I know it's not an apples/apples comparison but it does speak to their design and quality. Installing a set of Dundon race headers on my '15' GT3 this week.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:52 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gmgracing
We are using a very high flowing cat from HJS Germany and do not have any CEL lights. Using cats is ideal for a dual purpose setup that can still be comfortably street driven and not have to worry about engine lights. Through design, sensor placement and rigorous testing, we were able to release them over two years ago with no engine light issues to this day. This design has given us great mid-range torque gains that translate to usable power on corner exit at the track, and all around drive-ability on the road. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me via call or email for more information

Video:

https://youtu.be/BsdI4IPyReM

https://youtu.be/8ONTJpgLPBY

What are the gains?
Old 01-07-2019, 01:53 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I had a set of Dundon race headers on my GT4, first set delivered, with around 18,000 miles on them when I traded the car. I never had a CEL. I know it's not an apples/apples comparison but it does speak to their design and quality. Installing a set of Dundon race headers on my '15' GT3 this week.
Thanks Alan and congrats.

I want to go for race headers but don’t want the CEL.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The 981 GT4 is the same generation as the 991.1 GT3 (neither had CEL issues with race headers). The 991.2 and forthcoming 718 GT4 are the same generation and I guess the issue is that Porsche is now setting the ECU's to be far less tolerant of these (cat-less) changes than they were before.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:00 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts

I put my Fabspeed long tube race headers(and valved side muffler delete pipes) from my .1 on my .2, had a CEL and it drove me nuts since the .2 is so finicky compared to the .1, and at the time(March ish last year, and still) most vendors did not know how to correct this without a reflash which I did not want to do, but I did a little fooling around with mini cats(inline mini cats that screw into the bungs ahead of O2 sensor) and something else I'd rather not share with all the vendors(lol) and no CEL's for 2500 miles and no tuning/reflash. Car runs great and sounds great. It can be done, Dundon will probably have their full race system CEL free in no time ,if not already.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've had both race and street on my cars and am happy to discuss the pros and cons of each. It really comes down to your goals and what you want from your car. And as far as "all headers all the same" we disproved that 4 years ago when we introduced our tuned length headers. It takes more than equal length, port matching etc... to make optimum power.

Feel free to PM and I'll send my cell number and we can chat.

Jamie
Old 01-07-2019, 05:17 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
And as far as "all headers all the same" we disproved that 4 years ago when we introduced our tuned length headers. It takes more than equal length, port matching etc... to make optimum power.

Jamie
I’m not sure anyone suggested that, Jamie?

Its hard to deny that the majority of the gains come from removing the factory cats. Diminishing returns on the various other elements of the design. Plus, important to remind that the Gen1 3.8 / Gen1 4.0 & Gen2 4.0 in theory can all be optimised, although not commercially viable to offer specific versions so we test across all three and settle on the best compromise.

JC
Old 01-07-2019, 05:45 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

I have Dundon Race headers on my Touring. Very well made product, offered great weight savings and big gains at 4.5k rpm. Love the sound. I did get cel after the first 300 miles. No limp mode of anything, only the sport button wasn’t available. Cleared itself 50-100 miles later and sport button became available. Cel came and went for the next 1000 miles a few times and I just cleared it with a code reader (takes 5 second). Now, no cel for over the next 1600 miles. Nothing. Always have the sport button available. Perhaps while the .2 ecu is more sensitive, it can also adapt?
Old 01-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche

I’m not sure anyone suggested that, Jamie?

Its hard to deny that the majority of the gains come from removing the factory cats. Diminishing returns on the various other elements of the design. Plus, important to remind that the Gen1 3.8 / Gen1 4.0 & Gen2 4.0 in theory can all be optimised, although not commercially viable to offer specific versions so we test across all three and settle on the best compromise.

JC
Not trying to be a pest, but don't want folks to get the wrong impression that our design ethos is remove cats = make power. From our extensive dyno testing removing the factory cat doesn't account for the majority of the gains. Our Street systems that include 200cel cats are able to achieve very close to what our race systems achieve, as Singer would say, everything is important. If the majority of the power on an NA car was from removing the cats then our designs would have been no better than what was already available 3 years ago.
Removing cats from downpipes on a turbo car, like a GTR or Ford GT, yes, that helps to make power but for very different reasons.

Just don't want folks to think it's remove the cats on a NA and car makes power, it's definitely more complicated and nuanced than this,

Quick Reply: Who makes Headers that increase power for the .2 without any CEL issues?