PCCB - Am I being too picky?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 09:35 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts
Default PCCB - Am I being too picky?

All,

I've avoided PCCB religiously. Only reason is fear of the maintenance costs. Thinking I'm being too picky maybe. Currently searching for a low spec used .2 GT3. Car will be a weekend car, driven to track days and probably tracked two or three times per year. (I do most of my track time in the Radical). I've nearly talked myself in to being agnostic to PCCB other than the initial purchase price. Or should I go back to my iron-only POV?

Opinions please.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 01-06-2019, 10:12 AM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 92 Posts

If you value wheel cleanliness and yellow calipers, and are able financially to replace the brakes in the future if something happens to them (e.g. obliterate them on a track, etc.), then they shouldn’t be a problem.

If squeaky brakes is a no-go, then PCCB’s are a no-go.

I feel that the steels (or irons as it were) have just as much braking capability as the PCCB’s and that the tires on the car are the limiting braking factor, not the brakes themselves. The only appreciable difference would be maybe some fade noticed on track with hard use.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:22 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

All my GT3s have always had pccb. Put 20k miles one time within one year between street and track. No issues. Love how pccbs bite, no dust, no fade. Used green pagids brake pads when tracking and changed break fluid regularly. But always tracked with TC off. No significant signs of use after that period. I would always get pccbs on any GT car. I can only assume that those stories about accelerated wear are attributed to poor maintenance, wrong pads, and/or tracking hard with TC on.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:24 PM
ljahearn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Clark at Apex Performance will sell you a rotor and pad kit for $3800. Put this on and shelve the ceramic rotors if you're really worried about it.

My PCCBs squeak a little bit every once in a while right as you creep to a stop. No other noises so far.

I'm confident that if I'm not trying to coax the last 1.5 seconds out of a lap time, that the PCCBs will withstand 2-3 track days a year no problem. This assumes you know how to drive; most certainly someone that doesn't know how to drive smoothly and does not know the track but wants to lay hard on the loud pedal at every opportunity could generate quite a bit of unnecessary heat and accelerate wear on any brake set, PCCB or otherwise.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:33 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

So, 4 to 6 track days per year. I think the current gen PCCBs would last a long time. There was a thread here on the .1 PCCBs including actual wear rates with track use. Can't recall the details but overall they seemed to be holding up well. Just have to be extra careful with wheel swaps to avoid damage.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

The PCCB rotors should last over a decade doing 2-3 fast track days per year based on some recent 991.1 GT3 RS use data.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:11 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got PCCBs on my .2 GT3 and they squeak pretty much all the time....12K miles on the car at this point. So if you don't want to deal with squeak on the street then avoid the PCCBs. On the other hand, the pads really don't dust at all, so if cleanup is your concern they are a good way to go. For limited track use as you describe I think the PCCBs will last you for a long time. If you're going to get into heavier track use then as others have said I'd pull them off the car and go with an iron setup. Much cheaper and they stop just as well unless you're really abusing them for a long time, don't maintain your brakes, and heat buildup becomes an issue. Biggest drawback to irons on track is the increase in unsprung weight compared to PCCBs, but if you're not worried about every tenth of a second on your lap time it doesn't matter.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:24 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I can’t tell you what the better setup for you is, but I will say this.

If you go with the irons, never drive the same car on track with PCCBs. You’ll regret your decision. Perhaps forever.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

After 4 GT cars with PCCBs, I've read the .2 GT3 complaints about barrel-to-caliper proximity lodging rocks and I am going to Red calipers
Old 01-06-2019, 01:50 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

My reds squeaked on my GT3 all the time even after a seating session or track time and my PCCBs on Turbo S are silent all the time..........can't say one makes noise over the other.............
Old 01-06-2019, 02:04 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

No real downside to PCCB's on a pre-owned car. You don't pay the initial up front cost and you can always replace the rotors with cast iron if needed. Don't need to buy the absurdly expensive ones.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:07 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a 991.1 GT3 with iron brakes, currently have a 991.2 GTS with irons and a 991.2 GT3 with PCCBs. The 991.1 GT3 and the 991.2 GT3 both squeak, the GTS doesn't. I think it's kinda hit or miss. However, the lack of dust on the PCCBs as well as the insane initial bite has spoiled me, and I will order PCCBs on every car from now on. To me they are definitely worth it, especially since I don't track my cars and don't have to worry about track longevity.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:11 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The current gen PCCBs last longer than the prior gen, so a lot of the concern regarding PCCBs was from prior gen not holding up well. The newer stuff in the 991s holds up very good. For a couple track days a year go with the PCCBs. They are the best brakes. Lighter. No dust. Better on track. Cheaper replacement options exist now. No brainer imo.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:14 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't track and do most of my GT car driving in the mountains. I've certainly noticed the difference in braking between the two and its pronounced when the instancy of braking matters. I'm a PCCB convert and putting $'s aside, would prefer them to steels.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

I’ve seen PCCBs damaged from track days and would not use them on track. In my mind, just one less thing to worry about in a very expensive hobby.

Having said that, I still ordered PCCBs on my RS because I like the flexibility of putting them back on later when I find the next track toy.

Quick Reply: PCCB - Am I being too picky?