Sponsored by:

PCCB - Am I being too picky?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I can’t tell you what the better setup for you is, but I will say this.

If you go with the irons, never drive the same car on track with PCCBs. You’ll regret your decision. Perhaps forever.
I've done both on 991 3rs's. I still don't quite like the initial "bite" the pccbs have on track and prefer irons. But I'm being really picky and the difference in feel between iron and pccb is getting negligible on track these days. On the street, I LOVE the bite of pccb over irons. And love the lack of dust.

There are arguments on both sides of the ledger and I order/buy cars with steel or pccb. On a true DD car that isn't washed most of the time after it's driven, the cleanliness of pccb is more important for me on dd-like car. For a fun occasional toy and/or a track heavy car, it's a toss-up for me.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:48 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Check out the tread I started back in 2015... Lots of valuable data from good contributors.

I dont see PCCB being a problem on a car that wont be tracked hard.
I had PCCB on my .1 GT3 and really liked it (no dust, look and lightness feel) but I did get a rock between caliper & wheel once... damaging the wheel.

I would get PCCB measured on a used car before buying.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:51 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Yeah, definitely get them measured. Good point.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:55 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 683 Likes on 377 Posts

People complain about the maintenance costs. Tracking a couple times a year you will need to drive the car to over 50K+ miles. Really are there that many people on this forum that keep their cars that long? and if you do are you tracking them? because then it is closer to 100K.

Buy PCCB, and when you do and drive a car with them you will never go back.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
All,

I've avoided PCCB religiously. Only reason is fear of the maintenance costs. Thinking I'm being too picky maybe. Currently searching for a low spec used .2 GT3. Car will be a weekend car, driven to track days and probably tracked two or three times per year. (I do most of my track time in the Radical). I've nearly talked myself in to being agnostic to PCCB other than the initial purchase price. Or should I go back to my iron-only POV?

Opinions please.

Thanks,
Tim
I sounds like you WANT them, just rationalizing why you won't get them. In the above scenario you painted, then I'd say get them. Yes, they will cost more initially and to replace but will last a long time with your use, and lower dust may make up for the street squeal.

That's me trying to think like you as I understand your post. Me, personally, I don't want PCCB's. They cost too much for little added benefit, I track my car a lot, and it's not much more to wash the brake dust off after I get done removing all the melted rubber off the car front, windshield, fenders, etc. But, that's for me, and likely not for you. Get the PCCBs
Old 01-06-2019, 03:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,786 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I've done both on 991 3rs's. I still don't quite like the initial "bite" the pccbs have on track and prefer irons. But I'm being really picky and the difference in feel between iron and pccb is getting negligible on track these days. On the street, I LOVE the bite of pccb over irons. And love the lack of dust.

There are arguments on both sides of the ledger and I order/buy cars with steel or pccb. On a true DD car that isn't washed most of the time after it's driven, the cleanliness of pccb is more important for me on dd-like car. For a fun occasional toy and/or a track heavy car, it's a toss-up for me.
I don't think the difference is just the bite of the PCCBs.

I think, for me anyway, the major difference is lower unsprung weight that contributes to different handling characteristics of the car and the confidence that whatever initial bite you had at the first turn on your first lap will still be there on that same first turn on your 10th lap in the same session. It's that latter confidence-inspiring feeling of the PCCBs with respect to brake fade that really makes the difference for me.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:21 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I had PCCBs on my GT4 and switched to Girodics from Clark. From a braking perspective I really didn't notice much of a difference For the last 1 1/2 years I went back to the PCCBs.

I recently switched back to a 15 GT3 with PCCBs. Since I'll only track the car once or twice a year along with a couple of leisurely Smokies GT trips per year I'll just stick with the PCCBs for now.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
All my GT3s have always had pccb.
Same, I wouldn't buy one without ceramics.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:29 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My PCCB squeak when NOT braking. Dealership took for a test ride, heard the squeak when NOT braking. I'm told this is normal as there is "play" in the rotors.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:34 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Had iron brakes on my first 5 - 911's. Always thought they were great. Then came the TTS which only came with PCCB. I was an instant convert for all the positive reasons above.
When time came to build a GT3T.... including PCCBs in my build was a no-brainer.

As mentioned above, on a used purchase it's wise to have PCCB rotors measured and inspected.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:53 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Why not go with ST Carbon Ceramics?
I'm planning to do this on my .2 GT3.. but still doing some research before pulling the trigger.

https://www.autoquestcars.com/custom-11

Old 01-06-2019, 05:39 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I can’t tell you what the better setup for you is, but I will say this.

If you go with the irons, never drive the same car on track with PCCBs. You’ll regret your decision. Perhaps forever.
I’ve driven back to back GT3 with iron and RS with PCCB. I’ve also driven back to back iron brakes vs the light AP BBK on same model GT3. In all cases I haven’t noticed any handling differences from the weight differences. But I did like the feel of the PCCB, as well as the OEM iron setup.

I track enough that I am happy to not have to worry about damaging discs or having to replace them within 2 years, so I spec iron.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:02 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Thanks all. This info helps. I'd still prefer iron all things being equal. But I'd like to cast a wider net on this search.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:56 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ljahearn
Clark at Apex Performance will sell you a rotor and pad kit for $3800. Put this on and shelve the ceramic rotors if you're really worried about it..

I will sell you my lightly used kit for about of half that^^^

PM me if interested
Old 01-06-2019, 08:11 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 428 Posts

For someone who tracks their car heavily it’s a no brainer to just get irons; rotors are a consumable item and will need replacing frequently if you are really driving hard. Best to keep costs low. However, if no tracking then by all means get pccb. Not just my opinion, AP said this as well in an interview.

Quick Reply: PCCB - Am I being too picky?