Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edmunds review of GT3 touring, journalist does not know about launch control

Old 01-05-2019, 06:35 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts
Default Edmunds review of GT3 touring, journalist does not know about launch control

I was all excited and then he manually launched the car. Guy clearly has no idea what he is talking about. The 7 speed could not withstand 9000rpm — there are not rev limits on transmissions, there are torque limits.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:06 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 78 Posts

Manuals have launch control which he obviously didn’t use. I can’t tell if he did the no lift shift as I watched video on my phone. You can keep your foot planted on the throttle and hit the clutch and grab the next gear. Makes for very fast up shifts when you don’t have to lift off of the gas to shift.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:26 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSA964993
Manuals have launch control which he obviously didn’t use. I can’t tell if he did the no lift shift as I watched video on my phone. You can keep your foot planted on the throttle and hit the clutch and grab the next gear. Makes for very fast up shifts when you don’t have to lift off of the gas to shift.
Exactly. If you are going to do a comparison, at least do it right. Not that it matters to me (my lifetime g-meter reads at .64 acceleration), but still. How do these people get these jobs and not do any actual diligence/research?
Old 01-05-2019, 07:46 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

Exactly. If you are going to do a comparison, at least do it right. Not that it matters to me (my lifetime g-meter reads at .64 acceleration), but still. How do these people get these jobs and not do any actual diligence/research?
Very odd, considering that Carlos Lago. Former Motor Trend presenter, knows a thing or two about cars. His presenting style, however, has definitely been "dumbed down" since he started Edmunds videos.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:31 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Very odd, considering that Carlos Lago. Former Motor Trend presenter, knows a thing or two about cars. His presenting style, however, has definitely been "dumbed down" since he started Edmunds videos.
I thought it was Ben Affleck

What track was that? Was it the PEC in LA?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:39 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Wait, isn't this what he did?

Not my picture:

Old 01-05-2019, 08:46 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

No, he specifically said he took TC off. He just brought the rpm up to 5k and dumped the clutch while modulating the throttle.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:12 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Give him a break. He assumed it was a real manual not whats in the gt3 touring
Old 01-05-2019, 10:13 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

No, he specifically said he took TC off. He just brought the rpm up to 5k and dumped the clutch while modulating the throttle.
He only turned of the stability control. He did in fact follow the procedure in that picture. He said when you roll into the throttle, it would only go to 4k rpm. Pressing quickly let it go to 5k rpm just as the picture says.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:23 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
He only turned of the stability control. He did in fact follow the procedure in that picture. He said when you roll into the throttle, it would only go to 4k rpm. Pressing quickly let it go to 5k rpm just as the picture says.
Why did he say it was hard and you had to modulate things? I thought the whole point was to plant your foot?
Old 01-06-2019, 01:07 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Why did he say it was hard and you had to modulate things? I thought the whole point was to plant your foot?
he was involved with driving the car, isn’t that the whole point of the manual to begin with?
Old 01-06-2019, 01:14 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd B

he was involved with driving the car, isn’t that the whole point of the manual to begin with?
Well, the pitch of the review, in part, was to see the acceleration difference between manual and PDK so if he did not use launch control then it is not really an accurate comparison. Maybe I am being to hard on the guy, but I like people who are precise and accurate and I have not seen a video which compares the 6MT to PDK in acceleration so I got all excited when I saw the headline and then was let down.

i wish autogefuhl would do one as they are the most detailed reviewers on YouTube in my humble opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Edmunds review of GT3 touring, journalist does not know about launch control