Sponsored by:

Chris Harris: The last NA engine thing might be over

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 05:15 AM
911Touring
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, first post here on Rennlist!

Personally, I find Chris Harris car reviews to be quite entertaining and informative...but they seem to be getting shorter!

I think that with the 488 he was truly impressed with the engine and response. Worth noting that he has owned Porsches and Ferraris, and that his latest acquisition was a GT3 Touring (which he recently crashed).

I'm a happy owner of a GT3T myself and wonder why he hasn't posted a video about his car at all.

Hopefully we see his review of the GT2RS soon!
Old 01-07-2019, 05:21 AM
911Touring
Track Day

Hi, the manual found in the GT3T is the most advanced that I am aware of.

In 'SPORT' mode, transmission will automatically match the revs on downshift (auto-blip) and allows the driver to keep foot on accelerator while up-shifting. Kind of like an auto-clutch management system.

With the sport button de-activated the car drives like any other manual.

Best of both worlds (full manual / assisted manual) but you still get some jerkiness while upshifting at high-rpm.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:19 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

^^^it is still WAY easier to drive engage the clutch well at start and drive smoothly than a completely than a 997/996 GT or any sport manual from a decade, plus ago. Even the gt4 is SO easy to drive (no sport mode selected); it practically feels like a manual select automatic. It's almost impossible to stall/jerk/etc. again, I like it in the sense that it makes a manual much more practical in everyday use.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:32 AM
911Touring
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
^^^it is still WAY easier to drive engage the clutch well at start and drive smoothly than a completely than a 997/996 GT or any sport manual from a decade, plus ago. Even the gt4 is SO easy to drive (no sport mode selected); it practically feels like a manual select automatic. It's almost impossible to stall/jerk/etc. again, I like it in the sense that it makes a manual much more practical in everyday use.
Agree that the clutch is way easier to operate than previous high performance 911's. With regards to the biting point, still quite precise and nothing like what you would find on any modern manual BMW - you don't think?
Old 01-07-2019, 07:46 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I think the 991 and 981 GT 6-speeds are incredible transmissions; and like almost every other aspect the car, makes you feel like a god behind the wheel, compared to the previous gens. Which is progress and happens with every new gen, but the leap forward in "usability" on the 991gt/RS platform is HUGE. I can only compare the manual in the 991 GT to another Porsche. I haven't owned any modern BMW manuals; so I can't compare.

I personally think the 981 and 991 GT transmissions are big upgrades. I don't know how much of that is just a better mechanical device and how much is electronic management of throttle / clutch boost/ etc? No idea. I just know I can drive thru central London with a conference call, a coffee and traffic and not have much trouble. I'd have wanted to blow my brains out trying that in any prior GT/RS (the easy 6-speed being a big piece of that, but not all).

Porsche is making better track toys that are infinitely better dd/road cars. They are making some impressive stuff. That doesn't take away from the occasional drive in an older car that will punish you to get it to behave well; that's fun too, just different.

Back OT! I am an NA die-hard, but I'm hopeful turbo or hybrid tech will win me over. I'm not one of these guys that hopes the last car I bought is the "last great thing"......that's boring and depressing imo. I hope Harris is right and manufactures make turbos and hybrids win over the NA crowd; that's exciting to me. New experiences are what it's all about.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:58 AM
911Touring
Track Day

Hi, you are absolutely right with regards to usability of the 991 GT cars.

PS: Haven't owned any modern BMWs... that was a vacation rental, fun but not something I would spend my money on
Old 01-07-2019, 08:08 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
oh, that's only b/c you haven't driven F50. you will not want F40 after that.
yes I know which looks prettier.
I always found the F50 to look much better in person than in pics. Never driven either but looks wise, I'll take the F50.

Ofcourse CLK GTR wins over both.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:51 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
^ Part of the reason I will probably never replace my 996 GT3 with anything new, turbo or not. I prefer that it wasn’t built to be driven daily and 380hp is more than plenty for my backroads. Even 300hp probably is, too. Car journalists must peddle the newest ware, it’s their job. I don’t have to buy it, nor do I have to accept their definition of “progress” in sports cars.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:48 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
CH has to suck up to Ferrari after being blacklisted by them for years. Plus he knows where the wind is blowing, and that there will be no more new NA cars coming so he better start upselling the turbos. He’s not a moron. Repeating that NA is better while testing the newest turbo would get old fast and no one will invite such a buzzkill to new car tests anymore. I don’t believe a word he’s saying in that video.

No matter how good a turbo is, it will never match a NA engine while throttle-steering mid-turn at the limit of adhesion. Sure, you could always point and shoot a turbo and be faster, but why would anyone want that? And I need 700hp on backroads like I need a bullet to my head. This HP race as turbo cars get fatter is completely unappealing to me. I’ll take the 2.7L NA base boxster for $35k instead, thanks.
I really like Chris Harris reviews and I respectfully don’t agree. He deuced all over the Rolls Cullinan so bad my wife was asking why I was laughing so much.

Originally Posted by Taffy66
I had my new 458 Italia delivered yesterday and i'm already in love..I considered a 488 but went for a 458 instead as i couldn't imagine a scenario where the extra poke of the 488 would be needed over the 458..Absolutely no regrets whatsoever as its already too fast to use responsibly on public roads.
The 458 is so involving to drive at sane speeds and as the lower gearing makes it even more responsive to drive compared to my 991.2GT3 PDK..All my fun cars are NA including a 981 Spyder and i see no Turbos on the horizon for me at least..
Congratulations and wise move Taffy and I hope she makes you smile every mile. Back when I had a 458 it had true Italian character. I miss her and I will likely consider a 458 or speciale if finances improve down the line and values don’t shoot up.

Originally Posted by 911Touring
Hi all, first post here on Rennlist!

Personally, I find Chris Harris car reviews to be quite entertaining and informative...but they seem to be getting shorter!

I think that with the 488 he was truly impressed with the engine and response. Worth noting that he has owned Porsches and Ferraris, and that his latest acquisition was a GT3 Touring (which he recently crashed).

I'm a happy owner of a GT3T myself and wonder why he hasn't posted a video about his car at all.

Hopefully we see his review of the GT2RS soon!
I agree... watch the Cullinan review for a chuckle
Old 01-07-2019, 02:04 PM
911Touring
Track Day

That was a funny one! Agreed
Old 01-07-2019, 02:20 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

That Cullinan review was good. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:48 PM
sbriscoe
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

I felt very little turbo lag on my '15 and '17 911 TT. I feel no lag at all on my Ferrari 488 GTB. Variable vane technology on the Porsche twin turbos was awesome.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:49 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always find it entertaining how just about anything Chris Harris says these days gets a huge response, positive from those looking to reinforce their beliefs and negative from most everyone else. Chris Harris is ultimately an entertainer, talented driver with some level of journalistic integrity but he is first and foremost an entertainer and has the pressure any entertainer has which is to say something interesting, controversial or just something to fill air time while he is driving. Rarely does he say anything that hasn't already been said and at the end of the day I'm not sure why he is taken any more seriously than anyone else. Anyway, the video was a success because it has created 103 responses in short order here on Rennlist.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
I always find it entertaining how just about anything Chris Harris says these days gets a huge response, positive from those looking to reinforce their beliefs and negative from most everyone else. Chris Harris is ultimately an entertainer, talented driver with some level of journalistic integrity but he is first and foremost an entertainer and has the pressure any entertainer has which is to say something interesting, controversial or just something to fill air time while he is driving. Rarely does he say anything that hasn't already been said and at the end of the day I'm not sure why he is taken any more seriously than anyone else. Anyway, the video was a success because it has created 103 responses in short order here on Rennlist.
So:
1. ..."gets a huge response, positive from those looking to reinforce their beliefs and negative from most everyone else. "...
2. "pressure to say something interesting, controversial or just something to fill air time..."
3 . ..."Rarely say anything that hasn't already been said..."
4. ..."taken any more seriously than anyone else".

So basically you're saying CH is just like a rennlist forum post.. totally agree there
Old 01-09-2019, 10:36 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So:
1. ..."gets a huge response, positive from those looking to reinforce their beliefs and negative from most everyone else. "...
2. "pressure to say something interesting, controversial or just something to fill air time..."
3 . ..."Rarely say anything that hasn't already been said..."
4. ..."taken any more seriously than anyone else".

So basically you're saying CH is just like a rennlist forum post.. totally agree there
Nail. On. Head.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris: The last NA engine thing might be over