Sponsored by:

Chris Harris: The last NA engine thing might be over

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 02:40 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Personally I feel we live in a great era where we have so many choices and versions of cars. There is a version of car no matter what turns you on.
So true. Also, so many different driving experiences are available past, present and in the future. I personally think any purchases i make moving forward will be from past generations (458, e46 M3, 964 Turbo, 1969 Z/28, etc.). Enough variety exists already to pick whatever checks the right boxes. No need to really look for something brand new.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:58 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

So true. Also, so many different driving experiences are available past, present and in the future. I personally think any purchases i make moving forward will be from past generations (458, e46 M3, 964 Turbo, 1969 Z/28, etc.). Enough variety exists already to pick whatever checks the right boxes. No need to really look for something brand new.
Same here. It's the cars from the past that get me more emotionally involved. These newer turbo type cars don't stir the soul.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:06 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by isv
Remind me again, which car won both Le Mans in GTE and the Nurburgring 24 last year? I seem to recall it being a NA one and a Porsche to boot.... It's not exactly struggling to remain competitive given those kinds of results I'd have thought. If BoP didn't exist - yes it would be an issue but given it does, well....
Yes, but it's increasingly difficult for Porsche to remain competitive even with BoP. Which is why most of the other manufacturers have switched. And if Corvette goes turbo as they're expected to, it will be more difficult still.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:09 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Same here. It's the cars from the past that get me more emotionally involved. These newer turbo type cars don't stir the soul.

drive a 675 or 600 in anger...they finally got that "extra" feeling to them vs a lot of the turbo'd cars that you're right, can lose that part of the plot (like the 720, 488 etc etc).
Old 01-06-2019, 03:16 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eilig
For me it depends on the car. 2RS and 488 Pista look pretty exciting. And though I prefer NA, I can't say that I'd have ever turned down a Ferrari F40. It depends on the complete package. None of the McLarens do anything for me. But then nor do any of the Lambos, and they're not turbos. So it's more than just the engine, it's the entire car.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:21 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
There isn’t anything for me beyond the .2 GT3 because it ticks the all the boxes. Important to know when the apex has been achieved and goal is to stay there.
+10000000000
Old 01-06-2019, 03:40 PM
Miamistv
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
I've always preferred NA but with the improvements to turbos it's clear at this point that they have a huge advantage in performance over NA. Even looking at IMSA GT racing...Ferrari, Ford, and BMW have already switched to turbos, Corvette likely is doing the same with the C8R. Porsche is going to have no choice but to move to a turbo engine (or hybrid) for racing in order to remain competitive. So NA is really for people who just want higher revs and more sound. Yes, turbo lag can be an issue and the immediacy of throttle response - and linearity of throttle response, which has always been my biggest concern - can be an issue, but it's gotten so much better that I'm not sure how much that matters anymore. Even as far as revs go, that to me is really about sound. If my engine revs to 10,000 RPM but there were no sound to go along with it, would I care about the revs at that point? Probably not. Which means I think for me it really comes down to sound. Turbo cars are getting better, the 488 Pista doesn't sound bad. GT2 RS doesn't sound bad either, though I want to hear it in person. If the manufacturers can get turbo engines to sound better, maybe a lot of the issues people have with them will go away.
Very well put. Agree 100%. Moreover, absent the track where time matters over sound how often are you redlining anyway?

Old 01-06-2019, 03:56 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
Yes, but it's increasingly difficult for Porsche to remain competitive even with BoP. Which is why most of the other manufacturers have switched. And if Corvette goes turbo as they're expected to, it will be more difficult still.
Haven't most switched because their homologation road cars are all turbo (for emissions control/efficiency ie non racing related reasons)? If BoP does it's job properly I still struggle to understand why a NA engine necessarily is going to not be competitive tbh. That's what it exists for - to ensure the cars are competitive.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:46 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by isv
Haven't most switched because their homologation road cars are all turbo (for emissions control/efficiency ie non racing related reasons)? If BoP does it's job properly I still struggle to understand why a NA engine necessarily is going to not be competitive tbh. That's what it exists for - to ensure the cars are competitive.
I think for the manufacturers it's been a mixture of the two...turbos for road cars because of emissions/mileage requirements, but also power. Certainly BMW could have retained an NA motor as an option if they thought there was a performance advantage. Same with Ford. I'm not sure what the rules are for a small manufacturer like Ferrari, and obviously they've stayed NA for their "GT" cars but went turbo for the 488, which is what the race car is based on. It will be telling to me if Corvette goes twin turbo with the C8 because GM is obviously large enough to use turbos on the other millions of cars they sell so an inefficient, non-turbo engine on the 30K (or whatever the number is) C8s they sell each year won't impact their overall averages if they feel doing so offers a performance advantage. Which is not to say that GM will make their engine choice for the C8 based on the desires of the race team, but Corvette Racing is a significant effort for them and if there was an advantage to an NA motor in their opinion Chevy could certainly retain an NA option for the C8. My guess is that will be a twin turbo V8 in the race car.

Forgot to add...I still wonder if the GT2RS CS and 935 is a way for Porsche to start testing the waters with a new turbo-based race car.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:46 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

The response from the 488 engine is really great I must admit. I wonder what engine the 488 replacement will have? Will it be the Pista engine or a turbo with hybrid setup?
Old 01-06-2019, 05:06 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,797 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
The response from the 488 engine is really great I must admit. I wonder what engine the 488 replacement will have? Will it be the Pista engine or a turbo with hybrid setup?
Turbo hybrid. V6TT and V8TT
Old 01-06-2019, 05:21 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

CH has to suck up to Ferrari after being blacklisted by them for years. Plus he knows where the wind is blowing, and that there will be no more new NA cars coming so he better start upselling the turbos. He’s not a moron. Repeating that NA is better while testing the newest turbo would get old fast and no one will invite such a buzzkill to new car tests anymore. I don’t believe a word he’s saying in that video.

No matter how good a turbo is, it will never match a NA engine while throttle-steering mid-turn at the limit of adhesion. Sure, you could always point and shoot a turbo and be faster, but why would anyone want that? And I need 700hp on backroads like I need a bullet to my head. This HP race as turbo cars get fatter is completely unappealing to me. I’ll take the 2.7L NA base boxster for $35k instead, thanks.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I like big torque for street driving. I’ve no idea what my DD redlines at.
It burbles V8 sounds And that’s what I want in my DD performance wise.

My 6.9L relic is NA. and slow but it’s fun. Sounds fun, hangs on the throttle ...
350lb torque spinning skinny tires In a 40 year old car. Fun.

On track the turbo’s are faster, but NA is easier and more fun to drive and wails away, fun stuff.
On track, I want a good feeling, good sounding car that performs consistently.
Tires are already going off fast this side of slicks and upgraded the rotors to ST ceramics in order to keep a nice hard pedal for an entire session.

I’ve come to the point where I wouldn’t have heat soak of the engine and worsen tires and brakes going off to go faster.
I really don’t want to go any faster on the straights. 150/160 is really enough for my talent, I don’t need to go into T17 at Sebring at 170 or T10 at Road ATL at 180.
Its not free either, fuel, tires and brakes will go even faster.

Faster yes, but better, no.
Electric TQ assisted NA, yes, better if they start making them
light enough.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Define Turbo. Porsche has already said top of the line Taycan EV will be called Turbo.....

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/25664/w...e-called-turbo
Old 01-06-2019, 06:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ Yeah, they need to come up with some new model names....

Quick Reply: Chris Harris: The last NA engine thing might be over