Sponsored by:

Chris Harris: The last NA engine thing might be over

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 11:34 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

More than a few guys on FerrariChat are wondering how long before 488 and 458 prices reach parity, if that means anything.
My 458 stays V8 9k rev does it for me ......HP is not the end all when is enough enough. Passed up several 488’s at great prices you can alway buy a turbo, and they will get better.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:37 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
My 458 stays V8 9k rev does it for me ......HP is not the end all when is enough enough. Passed up several 488’s at great prices you can alway buy a turbo, and they will get better.

Yep. Looks awesome, btw!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:52 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Superchargers don't make as much power as turbos and also get lower fuel economy. Their advantage over turbos is better throttle response. However, that's about to change with e-turbos coming. Expect e-turbos to show up in 2 years or so and turbo lag will be nearly extinct.
Yeah - I've had a little demo of the 48V systems in some, err... prototype... cars. Very impressive.

cheers!
Old 01-06-2019, 12:12 AM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

NA's time will eventually end, and the successor will no doubt be "better" objectively. Whatever form that takes, it will be faster, better response, etc. However, NA powered vehicles will have their place in automotive history, and they will be cherished even though they have been "bettered".
Old 01-06-2019, 01:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

too focus on PDK vs stick. vs turbo vs hybrid vs NA.
a car has to be evaluated in a package.
991GT2RS turbo doesn't drive like the turbo or yore. and it SOUNDS like NA.

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I saw this, and realised my experience in owning a 488 and GT2RS is the opposite. Both great engines, very little lag and approaching responsiveness of an NA.
And in being so good, actually reinforce that they will never be able to match the best n/a.

I think everything going turbo is helping me lose my mojo for new cars. (Amongst lots of other factors)

In fact, I think I prefer my turbos to be old school with massive lag and hard to keep on boost! At least then they had their own character, instead of trying to be something they’ll always be second rate at.
(and hybrids are too heavy...)
totally agree

Originally Posted by tstafford
Slowly but surely the nostalgia gives way to the improved results for most of us (not all, but most). Water cooled, PDK, turbo, etc.
for some yes
I went from stick to pdk and love it, then to air-cooled 150 hp old tin cans. sometimes I think more fun than my 4.0

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Turbos will be so good soon they’ll be making NA engines that replicate the driving experience of a turbo.
I love you
Old 01-06-2019, 01:38 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree with Alexio, and no to your question because Porsche will announce the 992 GT3 at the Geneva auto show 14 months from today.
Yeah, after researching the 991.1 mule testing and launch of the 2014 GT3, there’s nothing unusual with the timing. I do think the performance delta between the 992 GTS & GT3 will shrink. It sounds like we don’t have that long a wait.

I’m staying put with my Touring; GT appetite satiated.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:49 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

What a news!
Chris Harris: The last NA engine thing might be over for the journalists
otherwise how they could still get paid by auto industry going for turbo cheap HPs?
Old 01-06-2019, 07:19 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

What a gorgeous stormtrooper
Forza!
Originally Posted by Maverick787

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Superchargers don't make as much power as turbos and also get lower fuel economy. Their advantage over turbos is better throttle response. However, that's about to change with e-turbos coming. Expect e-turbos to show up in 2 years or so and turbo lag will be nearly extinct.
Superchargers output constant boost, a real plus
Old 01-06-2019, 11:48 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
What a news!
Chris Harris: The last NA engine thing might be over for the journalists
otherwise how they could still get paid by auto industry going for turbo cheap HPs?
GENAU!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2019, 12:36 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

ch is correct that there will come a day when no one misses na engines anymore. but that day is not here yet despite all the turbo advances in recent years. turbos will need to sound much better and rev much higher before they get to the top of the exotic car pyramid.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:30 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

After spending time in the 600lt...I don't have a need for newer high performance cars that are NA for the sake of being NA only...granted I'm still a sound guy so they do need to sound good, but it seems companies have managed to do that pretty well.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:55 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always preferred NA but with the improvements to turbos it's clear at this point that they have a huge advantage in performance over NA. Even looking at IMSA GT racing...Ferrari, Ford, and BMW have already switched to turbos, Corvette likely is doing the same with the C8R. Porsche is going to have no choice but to move to a turbo engine (or hybrid) for racing in order to remain competitive. So NA is really for people who just want higher revs and more sound. Yes, turbo lag can be an issue and the immediacy of throttle response - and linearity of throttle response, which has always been my biggest concern - can be an issue, but it's gotten so much better that I'm not sure how much that matters anymore. Even as far as revs go, that to me is really about sound. If my engine revs to 10,000 RPM but there were no sound to go along with it, would I care about the revs at that point? Probably not. Which means I think for me it really comes down to sound. Turbo cars are getting better, the 488 Pista doesn't sound bad. GT2 RS doesn't sound bad either, though I want to hear it in person. If the manufacturers can get turbo engines to sound better, maybe a lot of the issues people have with them will go away.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:27 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
I've always preferred NA but with the improvements to turbos it's clear at this point that they have a huge advantage in performance over NA. Even looking at IMSA GT racing...Ferrari, Ford, and BMW have already switched to turbos, Corvette likely is doing the same with the C8R. Porsche is going to have no choice but to move to a turbo engine (or hybrid) for racing in order to remain competitive. .
Remind me again, which car won both Le Mans in GTE and the Nurburgring 24 last year? I seem to recall it being a NA one and a Porsche to boot.... It's not exactly struggling to remain competitive given those kinds of results I'd have thought. If BoP didn't exist - yes it would be an issue but given it does, well....
Old 01-06-2019, 02:30 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Personally I feel we live in a great era where we have so many choices and versions of cars. There is a version of car no matter what turns you on.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:34 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess it all comes down to your reason for buying a car in the first place. If it's purely lap times that interest you, then turbo all the way. In which case, why are you hanging out in the GT3 section, shouldn't you be in the 911 Turbo section? A new 911 Turbo almost always runs circles around it's NA GT3 brother. If you're buying a car due to the emotion and passion that it evokes, then generally speaking the NA is the way to go. It creates a far nicer sound, revs nice and high in a dramatic way, delivers the power in a very nice and predictable manner, and evokes memories of wonderful NA engines of the past.

Lap times or emotion?

For me, it's about emotion. I'm not a pro driver. Never have been, never will be. I don't care about lap time, I care about how I feel before, during, and after the drive. I like the excitement and passion from the drive. In which case, for me, NA will always be better. And I don't give a $@&!# what CH says, I buy what makes me happy, not what makes CH happy.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris: The last NA engine thing might be over