F12

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 03:29 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by eilig
Suggest you take one for a test drive and it will all become really clear. I have an F12 Tdf and the car is absolute magic. A beautiful beast. The aesthetic, the sound, the build quality, the brutal power. It is addictive. Many well-spec'd F12s on the market now at reasonable prices.
HA! I'm quite sure you are correct. Unfortunately, there's also a huge difference in price between the F12 and a TDF.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:43 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default F12

Have one, very much a date car for me. The steering is a bit sensitive as well but the sound of the v12 is pretty special and I love the body style especially the front fender vents. I think the car is a bit too big but only notice it when parking.
My Bianco doesn't really stand out , it's an italian corvette

(and yes, fuel mileage is pretty bad &#128540
Old 12-29-2018, 10:02 PM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I dreamed about owning a Ferrari for 20 years! After owning more than a dozen P-cars, I found a mint gray F12 with black interior + red stitching. The car is gorgeous, has sinuous curves, amazing sound, endless power, etc. So much hotness. All that said? I wasn’t delighted by the F12 - driving 2 hrs to Carmel gave me a sore back and I would long after my wife’s 991 TTS.

It’s a bummer because the Ferrari experience was so much better in my dreams than in real life. Lol!

I sold it a few months ago and ordered a 991 GT3T with the express desire to have an engaging, powerful, touring car that blended into the background. YMMV.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:00 AM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Had an f12 for about a year, didn’t lose much. Just find one and buy it right. Capristo exhaust made it sound beautiful. It is a great all around gt car but if you don’t have a lot of open roads around you, you won’t enjoy that much. I loved the f12 for a weekend cruiser, occasional track day. 488 is better for whipping around town and track like the gt3rs for me.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:00 AM
treynor
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 44 Posts

I love my F12 TDF. Does everything I'd want from a front-engine GT car, and more. Sounds amazing, looks amazing, fabulous handling, very fast... one of my all-time favorite Ferraris.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:20 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
If you are not going to track the RS- why get it?
YES the F12 will depreciate but the better way to look at it:

How much will it cost to enjoy the car for the next XX months? 40k? 50? 75?

If an F12 was a 150k car I'd buy it in a heartbeat. By the time the cars get to that price range I think that's a while to go- but if it has 4-5k miles and you throw 10k miles extra on it in 18 months you will have LIVED and enjoyed it.

Its a regular car you can take on trips. Its pretty. It could use a cat back exhaust for more aggressive noises.

It is not a track car. The steering is different. It has a lot more buttons to play with. People will assume you are a jerk, people will assume you are a millionaire philanthropist.

If I was single, an F12 would be a better date car than an RS. Since I'm married its a better daily/ "drive to the coast with the wife" car.
Thanks for the input. Yes, I do ask myself the same question, but I will definitely and mostly track the RS if I get it. The thing is I have always lusted for a v12 Ferrari. I just can't justify buying it in my head as I don't want it to be a garage queen. And the SHOW aspect does bother me too, the reason I have the GT3 now.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:19 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon

why not a Lusso?
for the price range of an F12 you are closer to Lusso than FF
Interior is much nicer, RWS, infotainment more up to date, second screen for passenger, more years of warranty and of the 7 year service plan, etc

Eric (3 posts above) traded his 458 for GTC last year, so he can answer questions on that
FF is here around 140k€ vs. Lusso 220k€
i would love the Lusso - also the backside of it. but 80k€ difference and i will probably not keep it longer than a year...

Panamera, Continental GT, Cayenne, M3/M5 (maybe the E60 or E90 but too old), RS6, etc. don´t fulfill the "special factor" as Ferrari does with their V12 4seater.
for me the FF or Lusso are the only good cars for people / familie fathers / road trip lovers like us.

bringing the TDF is unfair - would be also my dream GT car
will come... as soon as i´m 40 y/o, found some class, got the funds, kids are bigger and the wife is new
by then: FF
Old 12-30-2018, 10:27 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
FF is here around 140k€ vs. Lusso 220k€
i would love the Lusso - also the backside of it. but 80k€ difference and i will probably not keep it longer than a year...

Panamera, Continental GT, Cayenne, M3/M5 (maybe the E60 or E90 but too old), RS6, etc. don´t fulfill the "special factor" as Ferrari does with their V12 4seater.
for me the FF or Lusso are the only good cars for people / familie fathers / road trip lovers like us.

bringing the TDF is unfair - would be also my dream GT car
will come... as soon as i´m 40 y/o, found some class, got the funds, kids are bigger and the wife is new
by then: FF
what does a used F12 go for where you live?
i just figured a lightly used Lusso (and there are a ton for sale in the USA because Ferrari dealers requires buyers to purchase this car to get in the 812 and Pista “list”) is about the same price as the older F12 (again here in USA).

tech in FF=F12
tech in Lusso=812

i agree, TDF would be my choice, but 💸💸💸
Old 12-30-2018, 10:54 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Unless you can commit 3-5 years to the car you will take a huge beating on the 4 seater.....Right now the F12 is definitely the best bang for the buck if your looking at 12-25 months with the car.....
Old 12-30-2018, 11:11 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by VECCA
Just gotta ask... What are your thoughts on the F12? Who has one, and is it a good compliment to a GT car? I'm smitten!
TREMENDOUS PANDEMONIUM. If you like to get a bit overwhelmed, get one. Great compliment to a gt3 (rs), had nothing to do with it, but offers a similar or more excitement/thrill using totally different ways to achieve it.
Really likes to be drove with few nannies.
p.s. it needs AT MINIMUM exhaust valve mode. A aftermarket backbox is ideal and it will make the experience so much better.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:11 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I love my F12 as does my wife
mine is Grigio titanio which I think really suits the lines
i personally find the 812 unattractive
let’s put it this way
as you can see I have a lot of cars
the f12 is always in my garage while others are swapped back and forth from storage
Old 12-30-2018, 12:17 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

always hear about dct troubles with used ferraris to tune of $25k. i know its same trans used by amg which doesnt seem to have any warranty issues. is it also same as pdk? thats what always keeps me out of ferrari. otherwise would love 458 and ff.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:26 PM
treynor
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
always hear about dct troubles with used ferraris to tune of $25k. i know its same trans used by amg which doesnt seem to have any warranty issues. is it also same as pdk? thats what always keeps me out of ferrari. otherwise would love 458 and ff.
We've had over a dozen DCT Ferraris, including 7 458s. None of the street cars have had a transmission issue - not one. They've been similar in reliability to our modern Mercedes, which was initially a surprise but is now something we simply take as evidence that Ferrari's manufacturing and parts sourcing has entered the modern age.

The only transmission repair we've done on a DCT Ferrari was on my wife's 458 Challenge EVO race car. That car's DCT started slipping after 23,000 km of hard track driving (!) which is about 2.3X the rebuild interval we've seen quoted for other similarly-powered racing cars.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:07 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I find the rear end of the 812 quite unattractive... Can't beat the Pininfarina design of the F12, which in some ways is reminiscent of the 275 GTB.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:16 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
I find the rear end of the 812 quite unattractive... Can't beat the Pininfarina design of the F12, which in some ways is reminiscent of the 275 GTB.
In the flesh the 812 is much nicer than the pics....
The following users liked this post:
cadster (12-25-2019)

Quick Reply: F12