Sponsored by:

Christmas Came Early - My new 991.2 GT3 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 08:46 PM
MtnFlying
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NICE

That Santa sure know his cars, congrats. Also interested why you did not like the 570?
Old 12-24-2018, 08:46 PM
sheerk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!! Had the same cars 997 gt3 then 570s which I traded for a Manual .2gt3...I bought 570 new so I didn’t really have any mechanical problems (except the second key never worked, the center console as you said always had to be restarted then a few minor things) but the biggest issue was lack of sound and boring if not flooring it!! Gt3 is just special..so much more engaging and fun to drive! I have a sharkwerks too amd it’s perfect!! Amazing tone! Had grp before which sounded awesome too but waaay to loud for my liking!
Old 12-24-2018, 09:26 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
welcome home! I almost bought a new NSX. Felt the same thing, too numb on the streets.
I almost did the same with the new NSX. That would have been a worse mistake, you cant give those away.

Originally Posted by MtnFlying
That Santa sure know his cars, congrats. Also interested why you did not like the 570?
Post 14 has my list of things i didnt like about the 570s

Originally Posted by sheerk
Congrats!! Had the same cars 997 gt3 then 570s which I traded for a Manual .2gt3...I bought 570 new so I didn’t really have any mechanical problems (except the second key never worked, the center console as you said always had to be restarted then a few minor things) but the biggest issue was lack of sound and boring if not flooring it!! Gt3 is just special..so much more engaging and fun to drive! I have a sharkwerks too amd it’s perfect!! Amazing tone! Had grp before which sounded awesome too but waaay to loud for my liking!
Thank you! Seems like we had the exact same thought process, Haha! Also sounds like like the same things about each car!
Old 12-24-2018, 09:30 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Welcome back
Old 12-24-2018, 11:45 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
I almost did the same with the new NSX. That would have been a worse mistake, you cant give those away.!
they had giant incentives. was going to trade my 991.1 C2S and M4 in on it, but when driving my 991 home from the dealership, I had to downshift and lane change to pass someone and knew right then it wasn't for me. Which is awesome, because I wouldnt have my GT3 if I did that. I was going to pay 145 for a car with a 205 sticker though.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:54 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Awesome man, congrats!
Old 12-25-2018, 12:00 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Congrats, interesting reading about the reliability issues with the 570S
Old 12-25-2018, 12:33 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

hey MKIV, we are on the same forums, so you know my story from the Mclaren forum....Almost identical to yours. My 570S had all the flaws yours did, plus corrosion issues and a bunch of limp-home problems too.

Mclaren picked up the tab for my extended warranty and the yearly services....so you can imagine how bad my car was. They were very polite however, and my dealership appeared to be first-rate.

Sadly, After a while, the "specialness" of the 570 was not enough to overcome the headaches. If Mclaren could fix our cars within a week like any other brand.....maybe, just maybe, they would by acceptable. But every repair I had took a month or longer!

I wrote a pretty huge review of the 570 when I had it running well and will post a comparo when I get my GT3 in January. I have a silver manual model coming my way. Can't wait to get back into a car that actually runs right for more than 500 miles at a time!

Good luck and happy miles in the GT3!
Old 12-25-2018, 01:20 AM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJG911
they had giant incentives. was going to trade my 991.1 C2S and M4 in on it, but when driving my 991 home from the dealership, I had to downshift and lane change to pass someone and knew right then it wasn't for me. Which is awesome, because I wouldnt have my GT3 if I did that. I was going to pay 145 for a car with a 205 sticker though.
That would be a great deal for a NSX, even though the deal would be good I see them sitting all day long in the 120-130 range.

Originally Posted by WantA997
Awesome man, congrats!
Thanks Cam, was gunning for an 16 RS but this one came up in manual and I just had to get it.

Originally Posted by Akunob
Congrats, interesting reading about the reliability issues with the 570S
Its hit or miss with the 570S, a few of my friends 570S have been absolutely perfect.

Originally Posted by docjohnM
hey MKIV, we are on the same forums, so you know my story from the Mclaren forum....Almost identical to yours. My 570S had all the flaws yours did, plus corrosion issues and a bunch of limp-home problems too.

Mclaren picked up the tab for my extended warranty and the yearly services....so you can imagine how bad my car was. They were very polite however, and my dealership appeared to be first-rate.

Sadly, After a while, the "specialness" of the 570 was not enough to overcome the headaches. If Mclaren could fix our cars within a week like any other brand.....maybe, just maybe, they would by acceptable. But every repair I had took a month or longer!

I wrote a pretty huge review of the 570 when I had it running well and will post a comparo when I get my GT3 in January. I have a silver manual model coming my way. Can't wait to get back into a car that actually runs right for more than 500 miles at a time!

Hey John, Yes I did see your post on my for sale thread on Mclaren life. I am sorry to hear all that you went through with yours, it really made me sick to see that many issues. I just had to get out from the 570S while it was still under warranty and before the bleeding got worse on the depreciation of the vehicle. Overall I am happy i got to own a 570S and experience the exotic car at a small cost. I didnt lose as much as most people who bought new.

Will def be enjoying the miles on the new GT3, glad to hear yours is on its way. Post pics when its here.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:35 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

This thread explains difference between residuals on the two brands. This is why used gt3 still sell at or above msrp
Old 12-25-2018, 09:51 AM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys for your candid and factual reviews of the 570s. I have a feeling lots waver between the 570 and GT3. And it sounds like many with a GT3 like myself always wonder about a car that looks more exotic and it seems it may be the safer bet to only add to a GT3 (if you can) instead of replace.

I've read about Mac repairs taking longer than normal. Wouldn't be ideal at all where driving season is really 8 months of the year in Canada.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:00 AM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM

Could you share the post please?
Old 12-25-2018, 12:24 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This thread explains difference between residuals on the two brands. This is why used gt3 still sell at or above msrp
Your post is pretty spot on. McLaren in my opinion is still going through some growing pains on their cars, its hit and miss on reliability and the depreciation hit from brand new to a year old is killer.

Originally Posted by mike.baa
Thanks guys for your candid and factual reviews of the 570s. I have a feeling lots waver between the 570 and GT3. And it sounds like many with a GT3 like myself always wonder about a car that looks more exotic and it seems it may be the safer bet to only add to a GT3 (if you can) instead of replace.

I've read about Mac repairs taking longer than normal. Wouldn't be ideal at all where driving season is really 8 months of the year in Canada.
You're welcome, Just giving my honest opinion between the two cars..... I feel like a lot of GT3 owners contemplate this since the cars are in similar price ranges. I dont know about Mac repairs as I was fortunate enough not to have that problem but as far as the exotic thing goes I am pretty happy to not be chased down by people taking photos all the time and follow me around town or follow me home.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:53 PM
3GO1GO
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

White, just White...Beautiful, and remember- the fastest of all colors!
Old 12-25-2018, 01:14 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.baa
Could you share the post please?
hi Mike, I don't want to hijack the thread, and I won't get my GT3 for a few weeks, so I will def post a thorough "No Kool-Aid™" review as soon as I get the GT3. The 570S is a complex ownership experience and MKIV chewed the same fat that I did, so I am sure he will give tons of feedback!

Quick Reply: Christmas Came Early - My new 991.2 GT3 Manual