Sponsored by:

GT3, PSE, and winter.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default GT3, PSE, and winter.

Alright, I couldn't stand it anymore, so I took the trickle charger off and took the car out today for a long drive. No snow, salt got washed off by rain last few days, freezing cold but I'm replacing the tires in the spring anyway, so off we went. Had the smile on my face frozen even though the AC was set at 72.

Is it just my addled depraved mind, or does the cold air seem to make that 4.0 NA motor more torquey? I know it would for turbos, but I didn't think it would for NA engines. And the exhaust!! Cold air seems to make it more boomy, more baritone. More satisfying!
Old 12-23-2018, 04:29 PM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

if I remember ideal gas law right, then if all else constant, if t drops then moles have to increase. so higher O2 per stroke and I assume ECU dumps in more fuel to keep the A/F ratio gods happy. So, yes? Also denser air so greater conduction, therefore louder. I'm less certain why this is but I think it ends up being the right answer. Maybe because less dispersion of the pressure pulse in denser air? Please correct me if I'm way off-base here.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:24 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Is it just my addled depraved mind, or does the cold air seem to make that 4.0 NA motor more torquey?
Yes, cold air has higher density so more power and torque...

Old 12-23-2018, 08:14 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys. So I wasn't crazy!
Old 12-24-2018, 07:55 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Perfect formula. More power and sound and riding on tiresicles with all the traction of a billiard ball. Steer with throttle time and hope they keep the salt and sand away for a bit longer.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:17 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Perfect formula. More power and sound and riding on tiresicles with all the traction of a billiard ball. Steer with throttle time and hope they keep the salt and sand away for a bit longer.
All seasons are doing great for me. Heading out to get some more miles to get through the break in period. BTW anyone who can keep it under 4K is much better than me as I know I hit 4200 a couple times.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:08 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
LOL. On of the great things about the 0.2 GT3 is that it is an enjoyable car to drive whether you are in track attack mode, sport mode, or wuss mode. I was in "sedate" mode and had a whale of a good time. Sort of having a snarling beast on a leash!

Originally Posted by evilfij
All seasons are doing great for me. Heading out to get some more miles to get through the break in period. BTW anyone who can keep it under 4K is much better than me as I know I hit 4200 a couple times.
Congrats on the car! I feel you. Just keep taking the long way, on side roads and away from traffic where the car can go up and down all gears and not really have much chance to blast above 4K. Got 2k miles in about 4 weeks, grinning all the time. Bedding the brakes in was the issue for me, as the darn PDK would downshift aggressively on hard braking. Learned to hold up both paddles to get into neutral before standing on the brakes.

Quick Reply: GT3, PSE, and winter.