Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

.2 RS Track-focused Alignment Specs...?

 
Old 12-23-2018, 10:41 AM
  #1  
PhilT3 (PT3)
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
PhilT3 (PT3)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,148
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .2 RS Track-focused Alignment Specs...?

Calling all Track Rats with a 991.2 GT3 RS.

Iím looking to learn what alignment specs you all are using as a base-line starting point.

Appreciate anything you can share.

Thanks!
PhilT3 (PT3) is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 12:37 PM
  #2  
orthojoe
Super User
 
orthojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 7,611
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Believe it or not, stock is the best baseline. I practice what I preach. Stock sway bar settings. Only change I did was max aero settings and the car felt fantastic. The front cup2 tires wear evenly and the rear tires have the unavoidable outer edge wear. Running Dunlops now and will see how they do. I think Dunlops are the better tire.

orthojoe is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 01:32 PM
  #3  
MaxLTV
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
MaxLTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Vancouver and San Francisco
Posts: 2,726
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Believe it or not, stock is the best baseline. I practice what I preach. Stock sway bar settings. Only change I did was max aero settings and the car felt fantastic. The front cup2 tires wear evenly and the rear tires have the unavoidable outer edge wear. Running Dunlops now and will see how they do. I think Dunlops are the better tire.

https://youtu.be/R6RCbL1Woh4
How many days on Dunlops (fast and total)?

These modern multi-compound tires are not sensitive to alignment at all - more camber just pushes more of the hard inner compound into the tarmac, potentially even reducing the grip. But still, stock alignment is probably optimized for highway more than track, so maybe there are gains to be had, if not at speed probably in balance and/or longevity.

I wonder what the Manthey Racing recommended set up is. I know some people took GT2 RS and GT3 RS cars to them for set up. As much as I value their intellectual property rights, I'd love to copy their set ups.
MaxLTV is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 02:48 PM
  #4  
mdrums
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mdrums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 14,924
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

A lot of it depends on driver likes, track, tire pressure and tires. TrakCar has tried a lot of set ups and tires...check his posts.
mdrums is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 02:53 PM
  #5  
PhilT3 (PT3)
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
PhilT3 (PT3)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,148
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
A lot of it depends on driver likes, track, tire pressure and tires. TrakCar has tried a lot of set ups and tires...check his posts.
Totally agree. However, I know the stock set-up is likely optimized for tire longevity and typical street driving. From previous GT-car experiences I do know I want more camber front and rear.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV View Post
How many days on Dunlops (fast and total)?

These modern multi-compound tires are not sensitive to alignment at all - more camber just pushes more of the hard inner compound into the tarmac, potentially even reducing the grip. But still, stock alignment is probably optimized for highway more than track, so maybe there are gains to be had, if not at speed probably in balance and/or longevity.

I wonder what the Manthey Racing recommended set up is. I know some people took GT2 RS and GT3 RS cars to them for set up. As much as I value their intellectual property rights, I'd love to copy their set ups.
Wonder if they would sell me their specs.....

Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Believe it or not, stock is the best baseline. I practice what I preach. Stock sway bar settings. Only change I did was max aero settings and the car felt fantastic. The front cup2 tires wear evenly and the rear tires have the unavoidable outer edge wear. Running Dunlops now and will see how they do. I think Dunlops are the better tire.

https://youtu.be/R6RCbL1Woh4
Thanks Joe!
PhilT3 (PT3) is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 03:45 PM
  #6  
orthojoe
Super User
 
orthojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 7,611
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
How many days on Dunlops (fast and total)?
Only one day on them so far. I've missed out on 4 track days I was planning on going to because of this pdk vent line leak on my car that PAG is taking their sweet time on deciding what to do.
orthojoe is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 04:15 PM
  #7  
orthojoe
Super User
 
orthojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 7,611
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

I wonder what the Manthey Racing recommended set up is. I know some people took GT2 RS and GT3 RS cars to them for set up. As much as I value their intellectual property rights, I'd love to copy their set ups.
There was a great post by someone in another thread where they said that stock works well for almost all of us and those that could use a change know enough where they don't go to a forum to ask for setups. Driving styles vary greatly. I can give you a great example I saw in spec miata racing this year. A guy I know is always trying to 'copy' what the top drivers setups are and each time he messes around with trying emulate them, the car gets slower. I bought his car off of him during a race weekend to use as a spare between my buddy and surely enough I needed the car for the last race. My mechanic warned me that the setup would be janky and sure enough I found it to be very unstable and had a hard time keeping it under control. What works for one does not work for all.

If you guys really want to know, the factory driver at Leipzig told me they run -3 up front and -2.7 in the rear. However, that is on a cup2R setup, which grips a TON more than oem rubber and will need more camber.
orthojoe is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 04:22 PM
  #8  
usctrojanGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
usctrojanGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10,308
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
There was a great post by someone in another thread where they said that stock works well for almost all of us and those that could use a change know enough where they don't go to a forum to ask for setups. Driving styles vary greatly. I can give you a great example I saw in spec miata racing this year. A guy I know is always trying to 'copy' what the top drivers setups are and each time he messes around with trying emulate them, the car gets slower. I bought his car off of him during a race weekend to use as a spare between my buddy and surely enough I needed the car for the last race. My mechanic warned me that the setup would be janky and sure enough I found it to be very unstable and had a hard time keeping it under control. What works for one does not work for all.

If you guys really want to know, the factory driver at Leipzig told me they run -3 up front and -2.7 in the rear. However, that is on a cup2R setup, which grips a TON more than oem rubber and will need more camber.
Interesting that the factory setting comes with that much camber. I was thinking of going -3+ camber front and rear. I'll probably get adjustable sway bar links after I add the roll bar, lithium battery, and take out the side paper weights. What do you have your sway bars set at? Did you remove the pucks from underneath the car in the front (like the GT4)? I was also thinking about adding a wing lip gurney along with going max downforce on the wing.
usctrojanGT3 is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 04:33 PM
  #9  
orthojoe
Super User
 
orthojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 7,611
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Interesting that the factory setting comes with that much camber. I was thinking of going -3+ camber front and rear. I'll probably get adjustable sway bar links after I add the roll bar, lithium battery, and take out the side paper weights. What do you have your sway bars set at? Did you remove the pucks from underneath the car in the front (like the GT4)? I was also thinking about adding a wing lip gurney along with going max downforce on the wing.
I don't know what factory setting is, actually. I'm having dealer check to see if mine is in factory spec while there. The setting i quoted above is what Porsche used during their sub 7 min run at the ring on cup2 R tires.

My sway bar settings are middle middle right now. The car feels pretty damn good. Not sure if I will change it. Will drive some more and then see. Yes, I removed the air dams under the car like in the GT4.
orthojoe is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 05:18 PM
  #10  
ljahearn
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ljahearn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Littleton CO
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I would check with Mike Levitas. They have done many setups on modern GT cars plus all the laps they did developing the DSC module for the 991.1.
ljahearn is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 05:18 PM
  #11  
SCCAForums
User
 
SCCAForums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Typically at a race track near you!
Posts: 609
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
I don't know what factory setting is, actually. I'm having dealer check to see if mine is in factory spec while there. The setting i quoted above is what Porsche used during their sub 7 min run at the ring on cup2 R tires.

My sway bar settings are middle middle right now. The car feels pretty damn good. Not sure if I will change it. Will drive some more and then see. Yes, I removed the air dams under the car like in the GT4.
Nice updates Joe!

My inclination is the Dunlop is the quicker track tire, and the Michelin the better street tire.

For me, I'd run 20" Hoosier R7 on track and cup 2's on the street.

Can you share some pics of tire wear on Cup 2's? And how many sessions have you run them?. Did you use them up before switching to the Dunlop tires?

Best Regards,
Dave
SCCAForums is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 06:26 PM
  #12  
orthojoe
Super User
 
orthojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 7,611
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Nice updates Joe!

My inclination is the Dunlop is the quicker track tire, and the Michelin the better street tire.

For me, I'd run 20" Hoosier R7 on track and cup 2's on the street.

Can you share some pics of tire wear on Cup 2's? And how many sessions have you run them?. Did you use them up before switching to the Dunlop tires?

Best Regards,
Dave
Thanks, Dave. I agree with you that the Dunlops are the better track tire and the cup2s are the better street tire. I still have to prove it for myself, but based on the experience of another good driver, I'm pretty sure we're right. I laugh at the people who complain about getting the Dunlops. The problem with the cup2s is that they are great for one day. The second day they are not bad, about 1 second slower. The third day they are 2-3 seconds slower, but still have decent tread left. I didn't take pics of my factory cup2s, but I had 2 long days at the ring and spa followed by one day at laguna for a total of 3. The front tires still had plenty of tread and the rear tires had the typical cup2 outer edge wear. The tires just didn't grip the way an r comp track tire should, so I tossed them. Sorry, I didn't take pics. I went back 2 days later and my lap time went from 1:36.5 down to 1:34.1 with the new Dunlops at laguna. I was going to run 2 days at laguna this weekend to prove the tires don't slow down, but Porsche is killing me by not being more proactive about getting my pdk leak fixed.

Last edited by orthojoe; 12-23-2018 at 07:36 PM.
orthojoe is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 07:38 PM
  #13  
MaxLTV
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
MaxLTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Vancouver and San Francisco
Posts: 2,726
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Thanks, Dave. I agree with you that the Dunlops are the better track tire and the cup2s are the better street tire. I still have to prove it for myself, but based on the experience of a another driver, I'm pretty sure we're right. I laugh at the people who complain about getting the Dunlops. The problem with the cup2s is that they are great for one day. The second day they are not bad, about 1 second slower. The third day they are 2-3 seconds slower, but still have decent tread left. I didn't take pics of my factory cup2s, but I had 2 long days at the ring and spa followed by one day at laguna for a total of 3. The front tires still had plenty of tread and the rear tires had the typical cup2 outer edge wear. The tires just didn't grip the way an r comp track tire should, so I tossed them. Sorry, I didn't take pics. I went back 2 days later and my lap time went from 1:36.5 down to 1:34.1 with the new Dunlops at laguna. I was going to run 2 days at laguna this weekend to prove the tires don't slow down, but Porsche is killing me by not being more proactive about getting my pdk leak fixed.
Not to rub it in but rather hoping it may help - Porsche Burlingame replaced my PDK entirely within 3 days of a drop-off for a recurring oil leak. The first time they replaced a pan, and it took ~5 business days because shipping took longer.

Anyway, looking forward to updates on Dunlops. MPSC2 are good, and I don't have as much of a problem with having a slow day when they get to wear bars, but I hate when fronts get there before rears and because of the grip impbalance the car starts to understeer so badly it's just plain frustrating.
MaxLTV is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 07:58 PM
  #14  
mdrums
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mdrums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 14,924
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Any of you tried Trofeo R ? Don’t hear much about them...plus I do t know how they do on the street. I don’t have a 2nd set of track wheels.
mdrums is offline  
Old 12-23-2018, 08:07 PM
  #15  
usctrojanGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
usctrojanGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10,308
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
Any of you tried Trofeo R ? Donít hear much about them...plus I do t know how they do on the street. I donít have a 2nd set of track wheels.
You get 6-8 good heat cycles and then the tires lose their magic. Best street tires I've tracked with are still the RE-71Rs on my GT4...good on the street and in the wet and great grip at the track when warmed up with lots of cycles.
usctrojanGT3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: