Sponsored by:

Relationship or my own spec

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 12:13 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Remember that you'll have some very compelling trade bait for your next car. So use that to eventually build the relationship. For now get the car you want and enjoy it.
Compelling trade bait even if it's a yellow?

I hope you'll be objective.. if that green rs is yours (beautiful, btw) :-)
Is it like a 10k penalty for yellow vs white at trade in time? 20k?
Old 12-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend

Are you seriously comparing mass produced cars to surgery?

It was suppose to be stupid, its all getting stupid, most responses are, "who cares" relationships are SH@T, F the dealer, F the person etc etc. It just backs up why they are pounding people of ADMS. Its a business, just like every business. Its got to make money, but repeat business is the key to success. If they had reasonable deals with reasonable people consistently it would be much easier to maintain stable growth and make more profit at lower margins. Just move more cars. Because every deal has to be a no money deal, They are pounding profit from GT cars, cant blame them, if they cant find balance in the market, they are going to make money on units that can gross high margins. Just happens to be these cars. I am not a car salesman, but its not an easy job. Long hours, everyone is wanting something for nothing, and they rely on making their living on gross margin %. Top it with a bad stigma and everyone treating them like lawyers, i meant liars, you can see why its the way it is.

This is priceless. Just add one more day of work and save it up for ADM in the future than wasting time sucking up to car salesman.
I

t was suppose to be stupid, its all getting stupid, most responses are, "who cares" relationships are SH@T, F the dealer, F the person etc etc. It just backs up why they are pounding people of ADMS. Its a business, just like every business. Its got to make money, but repeat business is the key to success. If they had reasonable deals with reasonable people consistently it would be much easier to maintain stable growth and make more profit at lower margins. Just move more cars. Because every deal has to be a no money deal, They are pounding profit from GT cars, cant blame them, if they cant find balance in the market, they are going to make money on units that can gross high margins. Just happens to be these cars. I am not a car salesman, but its not an easy job. Long hours, everyone is wanting something for nothing, and they rely on making their living on gross margin %. Top it with a bad stigma and everyone treating them like lawyers, i meant liars, you can see why its the way it is.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:26 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

In this market I would not pay any ADM. Tell them you want an allocation at MSRP.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:15 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spoke to a local Porsche dealer about how to get my name on the next GT3 list. He said he will have to look at the list and there will be a ADM. I said, how do I get an allocation for MSRP. He said only if you spend $1 million + a year. I guess I will never be able to get one at MSRP.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:25 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by yxc145
I spoke to a local Porsche dealer about how to get my name on the next GT3 list. He said he will have to look at the list and there will be a ADM. I said, how do I get an allocation for MSRP. He said only if you spend $1 million + a year. I guess I will never be able to get one at MSRP.
Buahhahahahahhaa
Old 12-24-2018, 12:37 PM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3% of a million dollars is $30,000. So yeah, that sounds about right. They’re getting that money one way or the other.

To the OP’s question: Look at the end of the day it comes down to this: are you willing to compromise on the now for the chance of not having to compromise later? How likely is there to even be a later for you? How high do you think that chance of not having to compromise is? Do you really think that chance is particularly high for a single-car purchase when you compare yourself to the other whales in your local market that will be competing for allocations?

My advice is buy the car you want, now. Don’t gamble on the future over $10k on a $150-200k deal. Unless you planning on buying 2-3 cars a year for the next 4 years between now and the 992 GT3 release, your “relationship” with your local dealer likely won’t be worth very much. Certainly not $10k plus 4 years of having not quite what you wanted.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:39 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

when they call you back in 3 months, you can laugh in their face.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:41 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
One GT car won’t establish a relationship. Get the car you want. Later you will have a desirable trade.
+1, words of wisdom.

Get the car you want, don't get stuck playing games as my experience is that the dealer will not reciprocate.

Last edited by Perimeter; 12-25-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:52 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie

1 AMU= 1 airplane monetary unit= $1000. If you buy car parts and think they are expensive, add a 0 to the end of that price and that’s what it would cost in an airplane.
Fortunately I get paid to fly them and don't have to pay to fix them
Old 12-24-2018, 08:54 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
Fortunately I get paid to fly them and don't have to pay to fix them
Only problem with that is the plane isn't going where you want to go..... . I do agree though that flying them while getting paid would be a pretty good gig.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:01 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
Only problem with that is the plane isn't going where you want to go..... . I do agree though that flying them while getting paid would be a pretty good gig.
true. or when you want to. I have to fly ATL-SFO tomorrow night.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:40 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinker23
Building a business relationship used to mean going out of your way to please a customer, not the other way around.

Build a relarionship with the dealer that enables you to buy what you want.
ding ding ding! we have a winner..
I kept thinking about this post.. why am I trying to be loyal to a dealer that had what I wanted (allocation) but wouldn't give it to me, then instead offered me someone else's cancellation. That, and the one about the whales. I'm no whale.. A large tuna maybe :-)

So I made the 5k deposit on the credit card and drove up to give the rest in person (they want 10%, must be cause I told them I wanted yellow). I'm not crazy about 10k over but it's market right now... If I can get 75-80% of my money back after 2 years and 4000 miles then I'll be happy. So it'll be 165ish + 10 + taxes = 185ish. Can I get 140 for it later? Who knows... yellow? white and a wrap?? cosmetic interior options? wheel color? My freeze date is Jan 8 so I guess I will know by about a few days before that.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-26-2018, 12:22 PM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Glad you where able to come to a decision. I think you’ll be really happy with getting exactly what you wanted, so much so that that $10k will probably be forgotten the moment you first see *your* car

Quick Reply: Relationship or my own spec