Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relationship or my own spec

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 04:27 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,097 Likes on 2,343 Posts

If your finances can afford it, buy both cars. Establishing a relationship with an MSRP dealership is priceless (I learned this recently). Title the local GT3 through a Montana LLC, drive it until the other car comes in, and then trade it back to your local dealership.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:56 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

One GT car won’t establish a relationship. Get the car you want. Later you will have a desirable trade.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:07 PM
Vadaredevil
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
I lost $20k in the deal. But got to drive the car for 6 months waiting for the new one. Worth it to me. Mine was with 2 different dealers. Bought inventory from one dealer and allocation from another. Then traded in the inventory car on the allocation later. Again, it wasn't free in my case, but I didn't want to wait 6 months with nothing. Taking $20k hit and not driving it would have been tougher for me. Really paying $20k ADM. I probably still would do it for the right car (like the 3RS which I did pay $25k ADM for). It's all about your pain tolerance of getting ripped off. .
i love your logic and your pain tolerance. You must really love these cars.. it just reminds me that I made the right choice in car. Oh by the way no pain tolerance when it comes to money..😉

Old 12-23-2018, 05:15 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadaredevil

i love your logic and your pain tolerance. You must really love these cars.. it just reminds me that I made the right choice in car. Oh by the way no pain tolerance when it comes to money..��

My real problem is these rip off ADMS are small compared to what I lose in Aviation. I have a skewed sense of reality I guess.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:20 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joejenie
My real problem is these rip off ADMS are small compared to what I lose in Aviation. I have a skewed sense of reality I guess.
I know that BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand....how about with planes? haha
Old 12-23-2018, 06:33 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

If it flies, floats or f***s, its cheaper to rent it.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:02 PM
scooteria681
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ MJG...hilarious, but true.

get what you want...no Brinks truck at a funeral that I've ever seen.

and Merry Christmas to yourself.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:21 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

Who cares about relationship with a car salesman? Do you care about relationship when buying a toyota highlander? Once market bottoms out a bit more, its a buyers market.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:50 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Maybe your right, but if you were a doctor and someone needed a hip replacement, be ready for the negotiation because the bottom will eventually fall out. Hips are over priced, just need someone to do it for less. who cares who's doing it. All doctors are the "same" Sounds pretty scary.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:58 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
Maybe your right, but if you were a doctor and someone needed a hip replacement, be ready for the negotiation because the bottom will eventually fall out. Hips are over priced, just need someone to do it for less. who cares who's doing it. All doctors are the "same" Sounds pretty scary.
Are you seriously comparing mass produced cars to surgery?

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
X2 and that's assuming the dealer even honors the list instead bypassing those guys for the people who are willing to pay an ADM or buy some other Pcar

Gambling you'll get in good favors with your local dealer at the expense of getting the car you want, not worth it IMO unless you really really want to foster that relationship with multiple purchases, visits, etc... just my 2 cents. Then watch as the GM/GSM leaves lol
This is priceless. Just add one more day of work and save it up for ADM in the future than wasting time sucking up to car salesman.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:00 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinker23
Building a business relationship used to mean going out of your way to please a customer, not the other way around.

Build a relarionship with the dealer that enables you to buy what you want.
+1
Old 12-23-2018, 08:04 PM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Buy the car you want, otherwise you're just trusting the dealer to do the right thing for you. Highly doubtful imo.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:08 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silvertige
Buy the car you want, otherwise you're just trusting the dealer to do the right thing for you. Highly doubtful imo.
Good point, the number of good dealers who believe in a two-way relationship is small and continues to shrink but those dealers are still out there.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:40 PM
theunitedstates
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Totally understand your problem here. I move quite frequently, and honestly, all relationships I have attempted to establish has been for nothing. I have had to secure my new car with a new dealer every single time I wanted a Porsche for the best deal. Sometimes, the original dealer couldn't even get me the allocation at a market adjustment if I offered. Some don't want to deal with me as they won't consider me "local" due to moving around. I'm sure this means they assume I will not be servicing the vehicle there and won't have any attachment to the dealer.

Though I'm not equating a Subaru with a Porsche, over the past decade, I continue to go back to the same Subaru dealer and they always quote me such a great price, there is zero haggling. The entire mentality of the dealer is to give the customer the best price available, no questions asked. I have had 4 different SAs, and all of them have hooked me up time and time again due to the management of the dealer. Truth be told, I think I'm getting too old for STIs and it's time for a change anyway.

TL/DR - Offer the local dealer 5k-10k over and see if they'll give you an allocation. If not, go with your own. I was offered many GT3RSs inbound, wanted one customized to my specs since it was the dream car. Even if I would have had to pay more, I would have done it.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:38 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I know that BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand....how about with planes? haha
1 AMU= 1 airplane monetary unit= $1000. If you buy car parts and think they are expensive, add a 0 to the end of that price and that’s what it would cost in an airplane.

Quick Reply: Relationship or my own spec