Sponsored by:

Relationship or my own spec

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 01:22 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Relationship or my own spec

This will be my first Porsche. I have found a GT3 allocation for 10k over about 3 hours away. In the local dealer the sales guy offered me an allocation at msrp but the GM shot it down. Instead, they offered me a canceled or stock incoming GT3 at msrp. The local car would be chalk and red dials (yuck). They say I have to start a relationship to get allocations.

I kinda like some consideration locally from buying from the local dealer. So, I could save 10k (principal) and start my relationship or get exactly what I want 3 hours away.

Any thoughts on sacrificing the build slot to do a local deal?

thanks
Old 12-23-2018, 01:27 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Get the car you want. Chalk and red dials is $5k.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:28 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Personally I’d save the 10knand go local if the spec they have is close to what you want- color options etc.

you will have Plebty if oppirtunities to build your dream spec later. But me, I’d likely try to establish that relationship, not that the dealer won’t likely screw you in the future but at least you get to save some money.

good luck.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:30 AM
latinlava
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by victorc31
This will be my first Porsche. I have found a GT3 allocation for 10k over about 3 hours away. In the local dealer the sales guy offered me an allocation at msrp but the GM shot it down. Instead, they offered me a canceled or stock incoming GT3 at msrp. The local car would be chalk and red dials (yuck). They say I have to start a relationship to get allocations.

I kinda like some consideration locally from buying from the local dealer. So, I could save 10k (principal) and start my relationship or get exactly what I want 3 hours away.

Any thoughts on sacrificing the build slot to do a local deal?

thanks
congrats! Both seem like great options. For the amount you will spend, go with the build you exactly want. 3 hours not that far away, you could consider that you are building a relationship with that dealership that is actually giving you an allocation. Makes me hopeful as those both sound like great deals, as I’m looking to trade in my GTS for a GT3.
All depends on what 10k vs getting exactly what you want means to you. Good luck and happy holidays
Old 12-23-2018, 02:11 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy what you want and build a relationship afterwards. You can always build one elsewhere.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:51 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Get what you want for $10K. Fairly small number given the overall cost of the car.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:13 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/me...S&Store_Code=P

Save $10k and build relationship. Get extra points by having them install gauges in your color choice.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:31 AM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Building a business relationship used to mean going out of your way to please a customer, not the other way around.

Build a relarionship with the dealer that enables you to buy what you want.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:02 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Get the car you want, nothing worse than having a car you don’t like color wise? You’re paying a premium of less than 10% is another way to look at it. Good luck .......offer 5k and walk end of the year is coming.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:22 AM
Dot23RS
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinker23
Building a business relationship used to mean going out of your way to please a customer, not the other way around.

Build a relarionship with the dealer that enables you to buy what you want.
bingo, adm just means market price. Go with the dealer that works to your needs, not one trying to off load inventory.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:26 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Remember that you'll have some very compelling trade bait for your next car. So use that to eventually build the relationship. For now get the car you want and enjoy it.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:42 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

get the car you want. consider allowing the local dealership to do some of the maintenance - if they treat you right,
Old 12-23-2018, 08:11 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

May have misunderstood.If you don’t like Chalk then I agree with getting the car you want provided gm represents to you you get next purchase at same price he is giving locals for whatever that’s worth and screw local dealer. I would also take the car to the local dealer and tell them you will trade the car in with them next time if you get allocation at msrp. Now you have two things they want. Money on new car and money on trade.

If it’s just the guages you don’t like I agree with me with my first post

but I also think Chaulk and red look great

Last edited by Waxer; 12-23-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:55 AM
Spdrcrj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve learned that building relationships in the car/parts business means money for the vendor, nothing for the customer. All they want is your money. Once they have your money or your not willing to spend money, they won’t give you the time of day. I say go wherever gives you what you want.

The only exception to the above in 30 yrs of car/parts buying is the two service managers and original techst at Ferrari Las Vegas.

I fell for the “we’ll swap gauges for you” and the dealer attempted to extort money from me after the deal was over in an round about way of getting me to pay for the gauge swap process. I’m not giving them money and would place a large wager that they will not honor the “we owe” (expires in feb).
Old 12-23-2018, 09:56 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I would have to think that many of us, on this forum, are in business or work in a business environment that is dependent to relationships. Quality, long term relationships with understanding from both sides. Understanding that principle, business is getting harder and harder each and every year. Ignoring PCAR business, but business as a whole. I fear the future, scary to think that every thing will be based on transaction. I want to have a relationship of trust and value. I want the process to be the driving force not just price. I want to like the people i work with, buy from and support. Maybe its because I am a salesman. I usually pay more, ask for less, and believe that there is money to be made and money to be saved.

This is not directed to the car deal. Its MSRP or 10k over, there is money to be made! Either way, but the number of cars making the dealer, techs, parts folks, paper pushers, cleaning crew etc etc is contingent to all parts being profitable. Some deals are winners and some are losers. The dealer needs to make profit on the 5 or so cars (gt cars) to cover the losers that do not profit. They will sell each and every car GT car at MSRP. If you don't want it, they will have someone who does, but they have cars rotting in the lot that lose money too.

I would buy what you want, but I would not ask or expect the closer dealer to give you preference over a customer who bought from them. Their customers earn their support first, then non purchasing customers come second.

Quick Reply: Relationship or my own spec