991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank God for Pobst

Old 12-26-2018, 01:41 AM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I hang on his every word because the dude was paid by top motorsport brands to race their vehicles. While I also enjoy the CHarris and MFarahs of the YouTube world, their reviews don't carry the gravitas of a top pro driver with decades of wheel-to-wheel experience.

With that said, that Lieberwhatever is the worst.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:17 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
I really like Randy Pobst reviews but find it strange you would put his name in the same sentence as Chris Harris.

I think Chris Harris and Henry Catchpole are the clowns of the reviewing world. Those last two seem more interested in their own celebrity than reviewing the capabilities of cars. They ran out of punch lines years ago and usually just whine about “ soul” or some such nonsnse. Randy seems down to earth, unemotional and concerned more about the cars than his own personnna. He’s one of a ha divulged of guys, I’ll actually pay attention to in a review.
+1,
Chris Harris reaches for hyperbole. I can not stand listening to him as my BS meter is just pegged when he pushes emotion without facts.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:26 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Randy Pobst is simply the best reviewer in the business IMHO. World class racing pedigree, numerous SCCA National AutoX championships, infectious enthusiasm and an uncanny way of getting straight to the meat of the matter. He captures the emotion and subtle nuance of each and every car without resorting to mindless hyperbole. I had the pleasure of meeting and working with Randy as a guest at our 50th anniversary PCA AutoX event. He is a true gentleman, and his enthusiasm is genuine, as he spent the day riding with novice and advanced participants alike, and treated each just the same. I can't count how many folks he rode with, instructed, or cars he drove, as everyone wanted a piece of him! So giving of his time! Bottom line he is just like us, crazy about cars, and eager to share without reservation. One of the best Porsche experiences I ever had, or could have ever hoped for!
Old 12-26-2018, 07:13 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I find ironic how some go for the jugular of those who try to put into word the feelings and sensations on review and how they focus on how a car feels rather than their time laps, on a gt3 board. That's the whole point of a gt3, it's more visceral and communicative than the competition.

And another thing, the emphase that people put in racing drivers (not pobst in particular) is a bit strange, because for one pro drivers don't usually care too much for road cars and two, and another big chunk like an understeery messes.

And guys like Chris Harris are exactly the types of journalists that people should hear, he has owned probably more supercars than every journalist on his trade put together, he likes lively yet balanced cars, he has raced quite a lot, not shooting star talent but quite fast (the infamous story of the 997 gt3 rs that raced the 24 h nurburgring and was driven to the factory was him that took the car there, he was 1 of the drivers and I think he took it to base), raced on mclarens, bentley gt3, myriad of Porsches, competed as an amateur on rally with his own e30 m3 rally car, likes all types of cars, from cheap hot hatches to old range rovers to **** classics and supercars.

Chris Harris is the quintessential car guy, and there is literally anyone even remotly qualified to match all of his skills and background.

I know I'm sounding like a fanboy and I really am not, but following his work for quite a while (Drivers Republic) and from time to time I get surprised by what he is owned or what he has done or drove.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:28 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Just to showcase how much more experience Chris Harris has than pretty much anyone in his trade or even here, this is a public list of ONLY Porsches he has OWNED, not only driven:
911 st made by tuthill (as a project, the same guys that do the 997 rally cars for RGT in wich he was a main campaigner)
993 gt2
996 gt2
997 gt3 with a full set of rally suspension from exe-tc
997 4.0
If we had the cup cars he drove in competion it's pretty much every cup gt3 from the 996 to now.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:43 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Owning lots of cars and being a successful paid journalist have little to do with each other. Guys like Probst have little to no financial incentive to generate buzz, stroke the manufactures, and validate audience beliefs. What Harris and other journos may actually think and what they say are often very different if only for commercial reasons. You think these guys would continue to have major Porsche access if they said the 992 interior was awful?
Old 12-26-2018, 08:25 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Just to showcase how much more experience Chris Harris has than pretty much anyone in his trade or even here, this is a public list of ONLY Porsches he has OWNED, not only driven:
911 st made by tuthill (as a project, the same guys that do the 997 rally cars for RGT in wich he was a main campaigner)
993 gt2
996 gt2
997 gt3 with a full set of rally suspension from exe-tc
997 4.0
If we had the cup cars he drove in competion it's pretty much every cup gt3 from the 996 to now.
Is Chris Harris "funded" ? It seems like an impressive resume of cars and experience that someone could not afford on a journalist/youtuber salary. Though I am guessing he doing quite well these days with Top Gear.

(btw, I really like Chris Harris videos.)
Old 12-27-2018, 12:19 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like Randy’s approach in writing. I may not agree with his opinions, but he has just the right amount of salt and sweet.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:23 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by pkh
Is Chris Harris "funded" ? It seems like an impressive resume of cars and experience that someone could not afford on a journalist/youtuber salary. Though I am guessing he doing quite well these days with Top Gear.

(btw, I really like Chris Harris videos.)
A bit tacky talking about someone else finacial status, but ALL those cars were his OWN cars, I think I was explicit enough to mention that these were NOT press cars.

And this were just Porsches, add Ferraris and M cars and other weird cars and it quadruples, just on known cars, as I said, dude had cars that we don't even know ala the rhd 575 manual that I mentioned.

I see 0 reasons to even not put Chris Harris on a car journalist pedestal, great driver, automotive geek (actually knows his engineering), loves cars of all shapes and prices, motorsport fanatic, great writer, funny witty guy, actually owns cars in the categories he writes on, always talks in a 'fun to drive on road' perspective, what could the guy do more?

Really don't understand the hate.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:22 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
A bit tacky talking about someone else finacial status, but ALL those cars were his OWN cars, I think I was explicit enough to mention that these were NOT press cars.

And this were just Porsches, add Ferraris and M cars and other weird cars and it quadruples, just on known cars, as I said, dude had cars that we don't even know ala the rhd 575 manual that I mentioned.

I see 0 reasons to even not put Chris Harris on a car journalist pedestal, great driver, automotive geek (actually knows his engineering), loves cars of all shapes and prices, motorsport fanatic, great writer, funny witty guy, actually owns cars in the categories he writes on, always talks in a 'fun to drive on road' perspective, what could the guy do more?

Really don't understand the hate.
agree rennoracle, I think it’s that some folks don’t like harris offering his subjective opinion (i.e. how the car feels, how it excites him etc) as opposed to Randy’s more subjective approach. I take something from each of them. And heck, while we certainly want to know the technical aspects of a car, I also want to know how’s its feels and make one feel. And how exciting it can make the driver feel. It sounds as though when Harris offers this, folks call it hyperbole. To me, it’s just his subjective view of the car.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:59 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Randy thanks to his age and history is one of the very few honest and competent journalist around,
how could be the others when they need or needed cash to pay the house loan? temporary bitches?
Old 12-29-2018, 10:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

This is why we have so many people reviewing cars, this is why I review cars.

Because its important to view a matrix as one man in no way the best all the time or the one true voice for all.

Henry, Chris, Randy, etc all have plusses and minuses. Johnny, Doug, Matt, etc all have their own benefits or place in the matrix.

Very rarely will these guys all hate one car, randy loves it, he's right they're wrong. I don't know of one instance.

More likely- henry and chris agree, johnny cant fit, randy likes it but thinks another car does something better etc.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:17 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree CJ and generally enjoy watching all of these guys but I don't take any one thing that is said by any of them and make every decision based on that. What happens on these threads is a reflection of what goes on in society. People are looking to reinforce their own perceptions by something they hear or read and rarely stay objective and take in the data and process it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thank God for Pobst