Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 GT3 RS Leasing - Anyone have experience in this? Money Factor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 12:31 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'm my own tax guy, I'm a CPA/MBA realtor remember? I'm not your typical realtor and my clients love that. All I have are GT cars and a Prius (designated as the personal car) so I can easily make the argument that one of my GT cars is used over 50% for realtor duties.
Sorry, writing off a GT3 lease payment won’t fly under “ordinary and necessary” business expense under audit (at least for a realtor). What are you going to argue, that your clients sign purchase and sign agreements easier with a lot of adrenaline pumped in them from a fast ride?”

And one thing I’ve learned over the years, IRS will look underneath your fingernails for more examples of this kind of thing. It’s not worth it.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:47 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE

Sorry, writing off a GT3 lease payment won’t fly under “ordinary and necessary” business expense under audit (at least for a realtor). What are you going to argue, that your clients sign purchase and sign agreements easier with a lot of adrenaline pumped in them from a fast ride?”

And one thing I’ve learned over the years, IRS will look underneath your fingernails for more examples of this kind of thing. It’s not worth it.
They took a much harder look at my commission rebates and they did with my vehicle depreciation and expenses. Sure helped to have good record keeping.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Most CPA's would suggest you're better off w/a new CPA.....

2015 991 TT
Old 12-30-2018, 04:59 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Best thing to tell the IRS is you need that big wing as a desk to sign contracts and eat lunch while you are out and about.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:01 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
Best thing to tell the IRS is you need that big wing as a desk to sign contracts and eat lunch while you are out and about.
Great idea, both of which I have done with my 997.2RS. haha
Old 01-15-2019, 03:55 PM
jspec997
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20k in tax UP FRONT on a purchase, cash or financing.

The reason peeps lease is they do not keep the car more than two years.

While some agree to disagree..... Business owners still write this car off.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

So I checked on this lease vs. buy stuff with my SA. The payment on the lease was $1,100 a month more than a 5 year loan/buy. Lease was a 3 year 5k miles per year. I think I'll stick to buying. Made absolutely no sense.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:22 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Sorry, writing off a GT3 lease payment won’t fly under “ordinary and necessary” business expense under audit (at least for a realtor).
Do you have a link to the tax code specifying this? Honestly curious. I have looked and cannot find anything stipulating requirements of an otherwise qualifying 'company' lease vehicle.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:33 PM
Aparsh
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I spoke with both my tax guy and my financial adviser about writing off a sports car as a business expense at length. They both 100% agreed that it's the first thing the IRS is looking for. Even if i was using the car for a youtube channel and/or renting the car out on turo, they still thought it would only cause trouble for me. Apparently a lot of people are still doing this though.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:35 PM
Aparsh
Rennlist Member

So I checked on this lease vs. buy stuff with my SA. The payment on the lease was $1,100 a month more than a 5 year loan/buy. Lease was a 3 year 5k miles per year. I think I'll stick to buying. Made absolutely no sense.
When you say SA do you mean sales adviser?
Yeah it makes absolutely no sense to lease a porsche 911 with PFS, their rates are TERRIBLE.
Terrible Money Factor and Terrible residual.
Residual is one thing, at least you get that back later when you sell the car instead of turn it back in.
But Money factors that are 8-10% when translated into an interest rate are absurd.
That's why i used Amazon Leasing.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:50 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Yes, Sales adviser. He ran it though finance I'm assuming. The money factor was terrible (I can't remember exactly, but close to 10%). In my case, buying makes more sense because I have trade ins that cover the sales tax. On top of that, I'm not willing to try and write it off as my company car.

Amazon only leases in California currently.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Aparsh
Rennlist Member

Yes, Sales adviser. He ran it though finance I'm assuming. The money factor was terrible (I can't remember exactly, but close to 10%). In my case, buying makes more sense because I have trade ins that cover the sales tax. On top of that, I'm not willing to try and write it off as my company car.

Amazon only leases in California currently.
Amazon does lease in other states too - just talked to Josh from Amazon leasing about that last night.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:38 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Here's amazon leasing on a gt3rs https://www.amazonleasing.com/auto-d...sche%20%20-911
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Aparsh
I spoke with both my tax guy and my financial adviser about writing off a sports car as a business expense at length. They both 100% agreed that it's the first thing the IRS is looking for. Even if i was using the car for a youtube channel and/or renting the car out on turo, they still thought it would only cause trouble for me. Apparently a lot of people are still doing this though.
Wondering what they based this on, as I cannot find specific IRS rules for what constitutes an acceptable company lease vehicle. Especially if it is 3rd party leasing company like Amazon, to my knowledge the IRS would not know what brand or type of vehicle is being leased. If adding a GT3RS lease throws total company expenses into a grey area, I definitely understand being advised against it. But the brand or type of car itself triggering an audit? Again, genuinely curious.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:29 AM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aparsh
For anyone landing on this thread with a similar situation, this information is VERY interesting.
With $100k down PFS was at $1800/mo 36mo 5k/year.
Amazon is $50k down $1650/mo 36mo 5k/year.

Amazon is very good. Literally 3 different people recommended them to me today, including my Porsche dealership.
Whats the residual at the end of the lease, it can have an impact on payments. With the large up front down payment and approximately $65,000 in payments I would expect the residual, (the amount you owe at the end of the lease) to be favorable. With your down payment (cap reduction) and schedule payments you might be able to do a one pay lease. All payments made at drive off and either return or buy the car at expiration.

Quick Reply: 2019 GT3 RS Leasing - Anyone have experience in this? Money Factor?