Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 GT3 RS Leasing - Anyone have experience in this? Money Factor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 02:04 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 258 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
1. This entire post makes absolutely no sense.

2. You never pass an opportunity to make underhanded claims that other people aren't as wealthy as you, whether it was the discussion about McLaren depreciation, or here when you claim that "people can't write the check." In fact, the overwhelming majority of GT buyers pay cash and don't even blink; a good portion have multiple Porsches in their garage. Many of the guys on this forum could buy a dealership if they truly wanted to. Some choose to lease, not because they "can't write the check," but because it's simply smarter and they've seen how it works to their advantage. You have this strange misconception that you're in some unique class and others "can't write checks" like you. It's incredibly annoying.
I am reading the same thread as you are and I don't see him making any "underhanded claims" about others. He is simply trying to understand what/where the benefits are and if you read up, you will see that orthojoe, explained it well enough for him.. and he acknowledged as much.
.... likely a simple misunderstanding.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:22 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
You should have bought Scott's GT4.
I agree! That one would have worked. Wasn't smart enough back then to figure out I could play this AZ tax game. Remember, I'm new to AZ and still do most of my business in UT. How's the car? Itching for a new one yet?
Old 12-28-2018, 02:39 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
I am reading the same thread as you are and I don't see him making any "underhanded claims" about others. He is simply trying to understand what/where the benefits are and if you read up, you will see that orthojoe, explained it well enough for him.. and he acknowledged as much.
.... likely a simple misunderstanding.
Agreed.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:52 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

A HELOC is probably the worst decision you could make. Banks advertise an extremely low interest rate on HELOC’s which always lure buyers, but they don’t tell you how many years your balance is amortized. Low rates amortized over a long period is dramatically more expensive than a slightly higher fixed rate amortized over 5-6 years.
Either I didn’t make my point well or you aren’t familiar with how those loans work. The HELOC suggestion was an alternative way to achieve an interest only repayment option. But since a HELOC is at the core a credit line, you can pay whatever you want and you’re charged interest on the balance. The rate is just a rate and works like any other. You can pay interest only so of course you would never pay it off at the minimum rate. But a sensible approach is to pay any interest monthly plus pay off principal as it’s convenient to the business needs. (And if the company is solo owned, “piercing the veil” isn’t that hard anyway so the lien isn’t as big of a deal, but otherwise personalizing the liability may be a big negative to this.) The term of a loan doesn’t change the interest cost - you pay the interest rate on the balance every year no matter what, but with a line of credit you can change the principal on demand by paying it off for a while and then drawing money later on as required... so you can reduce the effective rate by managing the average balance. And typically it’s 15 years before it enters repayment, so simply close it before that happens.

That said, I’d expect I agree with you in your conclusion and a better way to go for the OP would be a car loan or lease for the car and just about every loan vehicle can be assessed independently as a way to fund the business. And that can keep business vs. personal liability separate which is good form regardless of the details.

If the owner just wants to flip the GT car for a profit and the state of residence allows him to pay sales tax on the use only, then leasing is a great option. (Maybe that’s the hidden detail.) Otherwise, it’s hard to beat financing with little down to minimize cash outlay. Financing brings a higher payment obligation precisely because of the repayment term. If drawing money for a business is another goal and 8% isn’t too expensive, it seems like a loan or credit line for the right amount to invest in the business will solve that problem and the OP can take the cheapest overall package to pay for the car by considering cash outlay, taxes, depreciation, and risk as a total package. Open lease, closed lease, traditional financing, long term up to interest only financing, whatever.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:14 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by konaforever
Agreed.
Disagree.

This is the continuation from another thread where another RL’er called him out on the same thing. He always circles back to the same argument: a judgement on whether others can afford “to write the check” like he can. It’s ridiculous.

On this leasing topic, it’s not a function of affordability. It’s a function of maximizing your equity, especially since your tax obligation is minimal unlike paying cash or financing.

And you can do this regardless of what state you live in. The only exception would be those states which tax the entire lease upfront.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:49 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

1. This entire post makes absolutely no sense.

2. You never pass an opportunity to make underhanded claims that other people aren't as wealthy as you, whether it was the discussion about McLaren depreciation, or here when you claim that "people can't write the check." In fact, the overwhelming majority of GT buyers pay cash and don't even blink; a good portion have multiple Porsches in their garage. Many of the guys on this forum could buy a dealership if they truly wanted to. Some choose to lease, not because they "can't write the check," but because it's simply smarter and they've seen how it works to their advantage. You have this strange misconception that you're in some unique class and others "can't write checks" like you. It's incredibly annoying.
Did someone pee in your Cheerios this am? I’ve made no underhanded comments or assumed anything negative about anyone.

Its rs a simple discussion about leasing vs buying. Not quite sure why you are taking it so personally. Others seemed to be able to have a logical and polite conversation about the subject at hand without getting their panties in a bunch. Not sure why you can’t.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Question: If I had an LLC that generates decent income, and assuming I'm going to keep a GT car long-term, how would I structure a lease for maximum tax benefit? Would the lease still offset the "cheaper" alternative of financing long-term since I will be keeping the car for more than a couple years?
Old 12-28-2018, 05:36 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 89 Posts

Disagree.

This is the continuation from another thread where another RL’er called him out on the same thing. He always circles back to the same argument: a judgement on whether others can afford “to write the check” like he can. It’s ridiculous.

On this leasing topic, it’s not a function of affordability. It’s a function of maximizing your equity, especially since your tax obligation is minimal unlike paying cash or financing.

And you can do this regardless of what state you live in. The only exception would be those states which tax the entire lease upfront.
As a target of his comment, I’m not offended. I can’t write a check for one. But understood his point.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:49 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by konaforever

As a target of his comment, I’m not offended. I can’t write a check for one. But understood his point.
Thank you. There is hope for humanity in that two people can have a conversation on the internet without offending each other. . Cheers.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:54 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1809
Question: If I had an LLC that generates decent income, and assuming I'm going to keep a GT car long-term, how would I structure a lease for maximum tax benefit? Would the lease still offset the "cheaper" alternative of financing long-term since I will be keeping the car for more than a couple years?
i would check with your accountant. Some are very hesitant to keep a high end car on the books as a car payment for fear of triggering an audit. Don’t get me wrong people do it all the time but there is a risk involved with it.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:04 PM
Aparsh
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uhn2000
I am about to finalize, how is black with WP, CCBs, and "gold" rims? I am fairly new to the GT Porsche world so looking for some help

@aparasch , are you structuring the lease personally or corporate?
Personal. I wouldnt risk putting a car like that on my corp.
That being said, im being told a lot of people are doing that and getting away with it.
I dont want to mess with the feds like that though, not worth it to me.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:30 PM
cacpa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1809
I'd ask your CPA, which I would assume you have considering you have an LLC and a GT car.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:56 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
I agree! That one would have worked. Wasn't smart enough back then to figure out I could play this AZ tax game. Remember, I'm new to AZ and still do most of my business in UT. How's the car? Itching for a new one yet?
UT is sales tax on full amount correct ?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:09 PM
MFC993
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Long term loan makes sense on cars that maintain value.
Just think about the lucky sucker who paid off his 1997 993 Turbo S over six years ...
Old 12-28-2018, 10:55 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
UT is sales tax on full amount correct ?
Yes, UT is sales tax on the full amount, but you do get trade in credit just like AZ. AZ does have a private seller clause that you don't have to pay sales tax if the car I used and not buying from a dealer. So here in AZ, buy a couple used cars and trade them in against the new one to get rid of the sales tax. Crazy loop hole. I had a friend recently buy a car on Sunday and trade it in on Monday.

Another thought. If you are crazy enough to try to write off the car in your business as a company vehicle. You do the 3-5 year lease with high miles so the residual is really low. Then buy it personally at the end of the lease. I would have to do the numbers, but might be a good way to write off most of the payments and own it personally at the end.

Quick Reply: 2019 GT3 RS Leasing - Anyone have experience in this? Money Factor?