Sponsored by:

PPF question for inbound GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 03:49 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts
Default PPF question for inbound GT3RS

We have a 991.1 GT3RS with LED lights that hopefully is here soon. I was planning on placing PPF on the entire car. That being said would it be wise to do it on the head lights and tail lights as well? I didn't know if the LED headlights have some sort of coating that would be damaged by PPF if it is eventually removed. Thanks
Old 12-21-2018, 08:11 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes there is some sort of UV coating on the headlights. Mixed opinion on here on whether PPF removal will strip the coating or not. Some are saying in their experience it hasn’t stripped the coating but most installers will warn against coating the headlights

I have full PPF on my car but didn’t wrap headlights for fear of the coating being stripped

Heres more info: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...eadlights.html
Old 12-21-2018, 08:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Some shops will do it some won't and it depends on the brand and series of pdf that particular shop is using. My local shop uses SunTek and I just had my GT3 done. They did an amazing job, cant tell pdf is on the car....I actually thought they forgot to do my side mirrors and had to look under a magnifying glass to tell.

My shop highly urged me not to PPF the headlights. They have seen delimitation themselves even using steamer and heat gun to remove PPF. Id say if you are keeping the car for a few years and never plan on removing PPF for a re-do job the if your shop will do it you might consider it. But if planning on keeping car longer and will have a re-do job in 4-5 years then I'd say don't chance it.

The head lights are going to get marks on them...either the PPF gets marked up...you remove it and serious change on screwing up the headlight.....or you dont do the PPF and still get mark on the headlights.

Quick Reply: PPF question for inbound GT3RS