Sponsored by:

GT Car Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 10:30 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by NCheok
For owners who are having "problems" with this, follow this process.

- With 1 door open (either driver or passenger).
- Plug charger into "cigarette" 12V socket.
- Initiate charge by selecting mode "Motorcycle, Car, Li-Ion" on CTEK unit.
- Charge active with 1 green, 2 yellows on CTEK unit.
- Now close door, lock and arm using Porsche FOB.
Guys, this was a big issue on the GT4 side. There's a tech bulletin (WG38) that addresses this issue and I believe it's for the 991 platform as well. The 12v sockets need to be coded to stay on for the charger to work. I just had the software update yesterday and it works as advertised........Phil
Old 12-22-2018, 10:48 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by audiophilitis
where did you get 0.5 amp charging rate for this unit? I have the same unit and has a charging current of 4.3A.
That's great it provides current of a higher amperage than the prior models but what you are not getting is conditioning or desulphation of the battery. If you are pleased with the Porsche labelled unit, then stay happy and enjoy, but there are better options out there from the same manufacturer
Old 12-31-2018, 09:32 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Just go with CTEK, I use it on 3 cars. No issues. Two are connected to the cig port and the Shelby to a connector that I leave hooked up to the battery terminals year round.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:12 AM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazon Amazon
CTEK7002

I've used this on 2 total cars and it has been dead reliable.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:34 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by NCheok
For owners who are having "problems" with this, follow this process.

- With 1 door open (either driver or passenger).
- Plug charger into "cigarette" 12V socket.
- Initiate charge by selecting mode "Motorcycle, Car, Li-Ion" on CTEK unit.
- Charge active with 1 green, 2 yellows on CTEK unit.
- Now close door, lock and arm using Porsche FOB.
I did this a few years ago when putting my 997 to bed for the winter hibernation. When spring arrived and I went to unlock the car nothing happened. Turns out the Porsche charger took a dump sometime during the winter. Of course the car was covered all winter. I now use a Battery Tender that sit's out of the car, leave the hood unlatched and the window down with the cover on it. Multiply this times 7 cars and it's easy to just walk around the garage and look at the tenders lights. Seems to work for me.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:52 PM
zroom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
From sun-coast
Comes with cigarette lighter adapter
On a 2018 GT3, do you put this into the car mode shown in this photo or lithium ion?
Old 02-21-2019, 07:44 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zroom
On a 2018 GT3, do you put this into the car mode shown in this photo or lithium ion?
Car mode
Old 02-21-2019, 07:49 PM
zroom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome - thank you!
Old 02-21-2019, 10:48 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought this from the Company Vendor at Mechum Auction and it does the job for $100. Better than the CTeks.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:03 PM
Baxter1949
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings, I am thinking of purchasing a Ctek 3300 for my 2018 Targa GTS, is this a good choice?, second question , I know I will use the Cig adapter, will I need the extension /comfort cord to reach in through the drivers window. On my older Carerra i used a Ctek Charge O matt and I would place the unit beside the left wheel on the ground and it reached the center council fine, but i noticed the new Ctek's require a cig Adapter. About how long is the cord from the Ctek unit, not the electrical plug end. Thanks,
Old 10-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone use a multi car charger like this one?

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

CTek 3300 which is the Porsche branded one.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:37 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

I'm going to put in my 2 cents.... I do know about aftermarket chargers and their quality a bit since we did a lot of testing for our lithium versions of batteries.. and its all related to a degree from a quality and functioning perspective.

Yes we can argue what I will say, and people can say their Battery Tender Jr. that cost $15.99 worked fine for their Car for twenty years, and it might have. So I don't wish to argue with results that have worked for some of you because there are variables always. So I will talk from a known quality perspective of the components.

You guys have high end nice cars, you spent money on extra performance or quality for a brand you believe in. The same applies for chargers, or other products.... a $39 dollar charge does not have as high of quality circuits, compared to a company like CTEK or Optimate, who make a point to really make a quality product. Battery Tender and some other low cost brands are really just putting in much less expensive and lower quality PCBs and components. They are not focusing as much on a good charging profile and having some other features that a quality charger will have. Again there is no way $39 dollar chargers have the quality or components that another legitimate charger would have and that is economics aslo... you can't produce a $39 dollar charger if you buying higher quality power supplies and PCBs. The power supply will be inferior, or have a charging profile that cycles to much. There is a reason why OEM companies are not using the Battery Tender green brand for their OEM Labeled units... its just a cheaper product. So my suggestion is stick with a quality brand on your quality Car for what that is worth.

On another note... when chargers have a lot of features like 6v and 12v and Lithium all combined in one... they are not really a good charger and they are often using a lead/charging profile for a lithium battery yet saying it "does it all". They are not really doing it all well..they do all of it a lower quality. So I don't suggest that route so much.

Yes I understand sometimes the cheap products do fine. I also have bought Harbor Freight tools and power tools that work fine since I'm not wrenching on my vehicles daily, or cutting tons of wood for Construction... but I would never buy a cheap Harbor freight Charger or other Power tool if I was knowing I was going to be using that product alot and relying on it for accuracy and quality. As in most cases you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: GT Car Battery Tender