Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on GT3 vs GT3RS vs GTS vs Turbo (991 / 991.2 / 992)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 02:08 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

You need to drive more of these cars. They all have a very different character. If you're seriously considering all 5, then you don't really understand any of them. Your post just described the obvious statistics, but you clearly don't understand the different feel and soul of these cars.

You need to drive these cars, do whatever test drives the dealers will allow and find local PCA/RL members to fill in the rest.

Basically you yourself don't really know what you want yet, and random people on the internet can't help very much with that.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:18 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I'm fortunate to have both a GT car and a Turbo S, but if I had to pick one it would have been Turbo S. It has 4 seats (rears work well for kids 5ft and under, I use them all the time), it's much better for long journeys or stuck in traffic (less fatigue, Burmester etc.), better at dealing with bad roads (important in California), and it's almost as fun at the track, even a little faster if you compare to .1 GT3 at least. Resale is a negative, but that can be alleviated by buying CPO rather than new.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:34 PM
Aparsh
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I agree - i do need to drive more, but the dealerships are just not very nice about test driving it seems. And on top of that finding 1 dealership that has all of those cars (manuals etc) in stock to get it all done back to back is even harder.
One of you mentioned that one will speak to me. I think you might be right. And honestly i did feel that the 991.1 GT3 RS was "the one" when i drove it, but since i had not driven the others I wasnt sure if it could just be the overall porsche feel was something i was liking.

And now that all these 911's are turbo'd it seems that things are that much more confusing. The Carrera T was not even considered by me because i didnt even know what it was, but now that i do its a good deal too. But i've read the GTS has bigger stock turbos and with a simple and cheap COBB tune + a few other bolts ons guys are getting over 500rwhp/500rwtq. So then that has me thinking do i look at the Turbo / Turbo S or consider getitng something like the GTS manual with a tune.

All you guys that are saying "you dont know what you want" are right! The problem to me is that Porsche is literally making too many good cars with all these little baby steps between them.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:03 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Aparsh
I agree - i do need to drive more, but the dealerships are just not very nice about test driving it seems. And on top of that finding 1 dealership that has all of those cars (manuals etc) in stock to get it all done back to back is even harder.
One of you mentioned that one will speak to me. I think you might be right. And honestly i did feel that the 991.1 GT3 RS was "the one" when i drove it, but since i had not driven the others I wasnt sure if it could just be the overall porsche feel was something i was liking.

And now that all these 911's are turbo'd it seems that things are that much more confusing. The Carrera T was not even considered by me because i didnt even know what it was, but now that i do its a good deal too. But i've read the GTS has bigger stock turbos and with a simple and cheap COBB tune + a few other bolts ons guys are getting over 500rwhp/500rwtq. So then that has me thinking do i look at the Turbo / Turbo S or consider getitng something like the GTS manual with a tune.

All you guys that are saying "you dont know what you want" are right! The problem to me is that Porsche is literally making too many good cars with all these little baby steps between them.
you should be able to find a Porsche dealer who will let you drive each of the non GT cars, such as the GTS, Turbo, etc. Driving them back to back will be hard to do unless you visit multiple dealerships on the same day.

As for GT cars, I would go to your local cars and coffee and ask GT cars owners if you can take a ride with them.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:26 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

I agree, its the dealer markup that's stopping me.
If you shop around, you should be able to negotiate close to MSRP at the moment. Just don't drag your heels so long that you wait until production has ended and spring is here.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Aparsh
Rennlist Member

I just want to put an update here for all that are interested.
I am now currently shopping for a 991.2 GT3 RS. I did test drive a Ferrari 488 GTB Coupe and a McLaren 600LT.
I also was going to test drive the Lamborghini Huracan LP580-2, but after sitting in it for literally all of 1 second i immediately knew i would never want that car. The visibility out of the front windshield was so terrible i can't believe it's a real car that people buy. Ive heard the drivers height matters a lot, i'm 6ft. The dealership had an SVJ, Chiron, 918, and a Huracan GT racing car on the floor too!

The 488 felt absolutely amazing. The feel and sound was great. It has a lot of features/technology that are a little busy in my opinion, but a great car and an amazing test drive.
As for the 600LT, man am I lucky to even get a test drive on that. The 600LT was originally 100% the car i wanted but i had changed my mind and was waffling between this and other cars and then settled more on porsche. That top rear lid exhaust is amazing and the car feels pretty good. I did not like how the brakes felt and i did not like the turbo lag. The turbo lag was a lot more apparent than in the 488. (Mind you this is coming from someone thats owns/has owned a GTR, 18 raptor, 135i, 335i, TT 350z, and even an X5 35D). Great car but after driving it i felt like maybe its a car to wait some years for and that the GT3 RS felt like a better fit for today.

So yes, now on the hunt for the right GT3 RS 991.2, but if i cant find one for the right price i may end up waiting so long that i go a different route.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Not clear. Your daily driving this???
If daily driving and all your doing is public roads buying new is crazy imho. Even the .2RS will depreciate substantially with DD mileage but certainly less than a Mac.

If it for DD and fun on public roads I would buy a 991.1 GT3 for $150,000 that's already had the engine swap. Goes like stink, not as in your face as the RS, has already taken the depreciation hit and you have a 10 year warranty on the .1 GT3. If you have to have "in your face looks" the .1RS is a no brainer for your use. Dead reliable, goes like stink+ and will depreciate less because ...RS. Price delta between .1RS and .2RS is at least $50K to $70K now.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:28 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Honestly, the deal of the century is a 997.2 TTS...w/ some minor tweaks it’s a real monster! I know because I owned one, but in the end I sold it and bought a 16 RS. Why? Well, for me it has “the look,” the PDK in the RS is amazing (even at half throttle) and the exhaust note at nearly 9K is insane! Overall, I find it’s just a more fun car to drive...
I think we all have paradigms what a Porsche should be...and after many years of reading Road&Track and other mags...The RS and probably GT3 too is what a Porsche is to me. Again, that’s me.
You really should be sure before you pull the trigger and drive several versions to ensure you buy the Porsche that fits your paradigm.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:09 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like the GTS and T both have a lot of potential with COBB tunes...but then i have a voided warranty, right?
My memory is that under the Magnuson Moss warranty act, the warranty is not void unless the manufacturer can demonstrate the problem was caused by the modification. As always, verify on your own.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffDweller
My memory is that under the Magnuson Moss warranty act, the warranty is not void unless the manufacturer can demonstrate the problem was caused by the modification. As always, verify on your own.
Thats not what that law was written about....it’s more about warranty replacement parts..

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act Law and Legal Definition. ... Passed by Congress in 1975, the Act requires manufacturers and sellers of consumer products to provide consumers with detailed information about warranty coverage

Any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty must disclose, fully and conspicuously, in simple and readily understood language, the terms and conditions of the warranty to the extent required by rules of the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC has enacted regulations governing the disclosure of written consumer product warranty terms and conditions on consumer products actually costing the consumer more than $5. The Rules can be found at 16 C.F.R. Part 700.

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

an oil filter for example....the manufacturers can’t say you have to use a ac delco oil filter in your Chevy...Ford can’t say you have to use Motorcraft oil in your Ford.

Magnoson Moss Warranty Act is very misunderstood in car forums. PCNA...not the dealer...can and will void power train warranty if you tamper with the cars ECU
Old 12-27-2018, 12:28 AM
Aparsh
Rennlist Member

you in Cardiff san diego?
Old 12-27-2018, 01:19 AM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

you in Cardiff san diego?
Formerly. 13 years then sold the house and moved. It's still a great neighborhood albeit it seems to be more and more congested all the time.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:27 AM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdrums

Thats not what that law was written about....it’s more about warranty replacement parts..

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act Law and Legal Definition. ... Passed by Congress in 1975, the Act requires manufacturers and sellers of consumer products to provide consumers with detailed information about warranty coverage

Any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty must disclose, fully and conspicuously, in simple and readily understood language, the terms and conditions of the warranty to the extent required by rules of the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC has enacted regulations governing the disclosure of written consumer product warranty terms and conditions on consumer products actually costing the consumer more than $5. The Rules can be found at 16 C.F.R. Part 700.

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

an oil filter for example....the manufacturers can’t say you have to use a ac delco oil filter in your Chevy...Ford can’t say you have to use Motorcraft oil in your Ford.

Magnoson Moss Warranty Act is very misunderstood in car forums. PCNA...not the dealer...can and will void power train warranty if you tamper with the cars ECU
The manufacturer can expressly void the warranty, which may very well be likely ("if you modify the car's engine control unit, the power train warranty is void") or it has to prove the modification caused the failure. Also, as one example, if you do an ECU flash but your air conditioner fails, the modification likely had nothing to do with the failure and that aspect of the warranty should not be affected. I wish I could come up with a better cite but here's a discussion: https://www.dummies.com/home-garden/...rranty-intact/
Old 12-27-2018, 02:35 AM
Aparsh
Rennlist Member

Formerly. 13 years then sold the house and moved. It's still a great neighborhood albeit it seems to be more and more congested all the time.
Yeah, highway 5 is just so packed all the time. Traffic all the time these days, it seems to just keep getting worse.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:37 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Given that track time is just a 'wish' any Porsche car will do, even a panamera, but of that list you really don't need a 991.2 rs, even if you were a track rat, makes no sense given 991.1 rs prices.
To me is very simple, 991.2 gt3 manual, touring or not (does track work just as well as the winged gt3), and if you want pdk 991.1 gt3 rs, really no question about this.

bin the turbo and the carreras out of that list. GTS is fun but it's not a gt3, especially if you have lawless roads.

Quick Reply: Advice on GT3 vs GT3RS vs GTS vs Turbo (991 / 991.2 / 992)