Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to pull trigger on .1 GT3... Need Feedback

Old 12-13-2018, 01:41 PM
Neebs
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ready to pull trigger on .1 GT3... Need Feedback

I plan to have a 991.1 GT3 in my garage by the end of December. This is an awesome community and I have learnt a lot. Have identified 3 cars, each lacking 1 of the key must have options for me, but ready to deal if price is right. To that end, any feedback / guidance on price or any recent data points would be extremely helpful. The contenders:

1) 2015, LWBS, FAL, leather, CPO, 2k miles, low $150k MSRP. Listed for ~$140k (missing SC and couple of other smaller options which I would have liked; has bunch of interior options I don't care about that inflate MSRP)
2) 2015, LWBS, FAL, leather, SC, CPO, 14k miles, low $150k MSRP. Listed for ~$135k (perfectly optioned but GT Silver - I have never been a silver person)
3) 2016, FAL, leather, SC, CPO, late 2015 delivery, under 4k miles, $155k build. $141k price with minimal room for negotiation (does not have LWBS and I am struggling to get over that)

What would be a good price range for 1 and 2? How good of a deal is 3? Overall, .1 market feels quite soft - we are in winter, year end is coming up for dealers and cars don't seem to be moving. I have been looking for past 2-3 weeks and see no movement in inventory; just small recurring price drops and more cars listed.

Thanks all!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:44 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I would not buy a color you don't want or buy a car with seats you don't want.....the SC is not a huge deal....offer $132K on car 1 and deal to $135-136K.....don't let a few grand get in the way......
Old 12-13-2018, 01:47 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I can't comment on the price as I have not been following it. But I will say this. There are plenty of cars out there so wait until you get a spec you really want. It took me months. The market for all cars in this price range (and even higher) is soft right now, so work for a good deal.

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:51 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Sport Chrono is useless and GT Silver is a stunning colour in the flesh. Just my $0.02.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:00 PM
garudatwo
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm curious how much you can negotiate on the huntsville one (2). I imagine maybe 10k off.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:06 PM
Neebs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I would not buy a color you don't want or buy a car with seats you don't want.....the SC is not a huge deal....offer $132K on car 1 and deal to $135-136K.....don't let a few grand get in the way......
That is where my head was at in terms of pricing - low to mid $130s feels reasonable for 1. Agree on SC as well

Originally Posted by robmypro
I can't comment on the price as I have not been following it. But I will say this. There are plenty of cars out there so wait until you get a spec you really want. It took me months. The market for all cars in this price range (and even higher) is soft right now, so work for a good deal.

Good luck!
Thank you. Just worry you start loosing some leverage post December. I have been looking on and of for 2 months and its not easy to find the perfect spec!

Originally Posted by WantA997
Sport Chrono is useless and GT Silver is a stunning colour in the flesh. Just my $0.02.
That seems to be the consensus on GT Silver. I went to dealership last night and saw a Carrera T and Cayman GTS at night under lights in GT Silver. Liked it more than I thought and felt I would be fine with it. I bet it looks even better on a GT3. Heart had been just stuck on white...
Old 12-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Neebs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garudatwo
I'm curious how much you can negotiate on the huntsville one (2). I imagine maybe 10k off.
Haha.. are you looking at the same car!? That is not even close to a $136k car in this market... at least I don't think
Old 12-13-2018, 02:12 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

I just recently picked up 2015 GT3 MSRP 173k for 135k w/ just under 5k miles. They were asking 145k originally. Pretty much every option except LWBS which were a no go for me anyway since the wife would not have it lol...

#1 is a decent deal if it has PCCB and PDLS. If not, it's about 5-7k high even with that mileage.

#2 I realize this is a CPO car but the mileage would give me pause. That's fairly high in GT3 terms. I would want a third party PPI done and focus on wearable parts. If the car has PCCBs, I would have those inspected carefully.

#3 Honestly this is the best deal. 141k for a 2016 and under 4k miles is pretty sweet. If you can get over the LWBS not being there, this is the car I would focus on.

Hope this helps Good luck!

Last edited by phow; 12-13-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Neebs
That seems to be the consensus on GT Silver. I went to dealership last night and saw a Carrera T and Cayman GTS at night under lights in GT Silver. Liked it more than I thought and felt I would be fine with it. I bet it looks even better on a GT3. Heart had been just stuck on white...
Color is subjective.

Having said that....white is .....yuck. LOL . Unless you plan to put some kind of graphics on it later. OTOH, I do love silver. Obviously .

Everyone else has said what needed to be said. GL picking and negotiating on one of the 3, and enjoy whichever you choose!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

As a 2 time GT Silver owner I have really come to love this color. It does not photograph great as all metallics do not but in person it looks awesome. Another big plus on GT Silver is it doesn't show swirl marks and is easy to keep clean. I wasn't much a a silver fan either until I got my 2017 GTS in GT Silver....when looking for my GT3, GT Silver was at the top of the list for sure.

I just went through what you are going through. I will say the LWBS are a must..this car just needs them and they are comfortable...I'm 6'5" tall 230 something lbs, 53 years old and fit in them...anyone under my height should love these seats...plus again the just look so so awesome.

Sport chromo is not needed in a GT3.

As far as price...2016-2016..very few and rare are the 2016's seem to be selling around $135K-$145k depending on original MSRP and condition of car.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:47 PM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

My date point:
It's true that it's so hard to find the exact spec you want on a used GT3 (since there are so many different options, obviously). I looked for about 3 months, daily, across the country. Test drove some local cars and set my mind on the EXACT spec that I wanted. In the end I picked up a loaded PTS '14, $180K MSRP with 16K miles for $135K which included enclosed shipping from dealer ($2K value). I could've added CPO but I decided not to because of the 10 year powertran warranty and the additional 1 year comp warranty on the '14's. There were quite a few I passed on because it didn't have all the options I wanted and a couple I missed out because I felt like negotiating for a better price etc. After a while I decided that waiting and pay for the exact car I wanted was more important than settling or saving $$$ on anything else, and I'm completely happy with my decision and purchase.

Good luck, the hunt can be frustrating but it definitely is part of the fun. Your new car will reward you tremendously in the end.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:50 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
That's fairly high in GT3 terms.
107,000 miles: https://www.porschemonterey.com/used...b8b7665529.htm
Old 12-13-2018, 02:55 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
I think you may have missed my point. The mileage is high for pre-owned GT3's in the 2015-2016 year range that are listed at over 130k. But good job using the search tool
Old 12-13-2018, 02:58 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Plenty of supply right now. . . take your time and be picky
Old 12-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Neebs
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the amazing feedback. Overall, it seems to me that most of these cars are listed materially higher than where they eventually transact. And given the market, I should not be embarrassed to offer 7-10k lower in most of these cases.

Originally Posted by phow
I just recently picked up 2015 GT3 MSRP 173k for 135k w/ just under 5k miles. They were asking 145k originally. Pretty much every option except LWBS which were a no go for me anyway since the wife would not have it lol...

#1 is a decent deal if it has PCCB and PDLS. If not, it's about 5-7k high even with that mileage.

#2 I realize this is a CPO car but the mileage would give me pause. That's fairly high in GT3 terms. I would want a third party PPI done and focus on wearable parts. If the car has PCCBs, I would have those inspected carefully.

#3 Honestly this is the best deal. 141k for a 2016 and under 4k miles is pretty sweet. If you can get over the LWBS not being there, this is the car I would focus on.

Hope this helps Good luck!
Appreciate the data point - you got quite a deal! No PCCB on any. Looking for stealies. 2016 has a clock - owner trades it in the next 1-2 days for his next car and I don't think I will be able to get over the no LWBS hump, so probably unlikely. Low 130s for 1 seems to be the right play if it works out, although I feel like 2 can be good option for 126-128k as well if PPI checks out
Originally Posted by Palting
Color is subjective.

Having said that....white is .....yuck. LOL . Unless you plan to put some kind of graphics on it later. OTOH, I do love silver. Obviously .

Everyone else has said what needed to be said. GL picking and negotiating on one of the 3, and enjoy whichever you choose!
Thanks! Plan would be to put some but minimal graphics on white, although, seeing GT Silver properly in person yesterday has created lots of confusion in my head

Originally Posted by mdrums
As a 2 time GT Silver owner I have really come to love this color. It does not photograph great as all metallics do not but in person it looks awesome. Another big plus on GT Silver is it doesn't show swirl marks and is easy to keep clean. I wasn't much a a silver fan either until I got my 2017 GTS in GT Silver....when looking for my GT3, GT Silver was at the top of the list for sure.

I just went through what you are going through. I will say the LWBS are a must..this car just needs them and they are comfortable...I'm 6'5" tall 230 something lbs, 53 years old and fit in them...anyone under my height should love these seats...plus again the just look so so awesome.

Sport chromo is not needed in a GT3.

As far as price...2016-2016..very few and rare are the 2016's seem to be selling around $135K-$145k depending on original MSRP and condition of car.
Completely agree with you on LWBS - at least that's how I feel as well even though car will see the track only 2-4 weekends a year. Photos threw me off on GT Silver. Videos made it look a little better. In person, it seemed like it had a lot of personality. Seems like a popular color in a tough crowd, which should count for something!

Originally Posted by driIve
My date point:
It's true that it's so hard to find the exact spec you want on a used GT3 (since there are so many different options, obviously). I looked for about 3 months, daily, across the country. Test drove some local cars and set my mind on the EXACT spec that I wanted. In the end I picked up a loaded PTS '14, $180K MSRP with 16K miles for $135K which included enclosed shipping from dealer ($2K value). I could've added CPO but I decided not to because of the 10 year powertran warranty and the additional 1 year comp warranty on the '14's. There were quite a few I passed on because it didn't have all the options I wanted and a couple I missed out because I felt like negotiating for a better price etc. After a while I decided that waiting and pay for the exact car I wanted was more important than settling or saving $$$ on anything else, and I'm completely happy with my decision and purchase.

Good luck, the hunt can be frustrating but it definitely is part of the fun. Your new car will reward you tremendously in the end.
Good wisdom. I sold 15 Cayman S to buy GT3 over a month ago and now I am just getting restless with nothing fun to drive!

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Plenty of supply right now. . . take your time and be picky
Yup, no need to rush for an unideal spec and no need to over pay. I will take my time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ready to pull trigger on .1 GT3... Need Feedback