Sponsored by:

Ready to pull trigger on .1 GT3... Need Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 05:46 PM
iczer34
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
These .1s have held their value really well imo. If only i could say that about my BMW lol.
Very true indeed. I tend to lease BMWs but lately their lease programs have been terrible (no more MSDs, low residuals, and high money factor). Lease numbers for an F90 M5 are horrendous!
Old 12-14-2018, 05:58 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Is the conventional wisdom on the higher mileage 2014-2015 GT3's (20k+ miles) with original engines that -- if they were going to break due to the cam/rocker/finger follower issues -- they would have already done so by that point? Or is it simply too hard to know? Sorry to re-plow that ground but I'm a GT car newbie looking to get his feet wet like the original poster.

I'm toying with going the 991.1 GT3 route when the equity markets really hit the skids next year, but I'm also considering a 570s. I expect that the market for these cars will continue to soften into next year. The risk seems to be the .1 GT3 cam assembly weakness versus the McLaren gremlins. But what great cars.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:11 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffDweller
Is the conventional wisdom on the higher mileage 2014-2015 GT3's (20k+ miles) with original engines that -- if they were going to break due to the cam/rocker/finger follower issues -- they would have already done so by that point? Or is it simply too hard to know? Sorry to re-plow that ground but I'm a GT car newbie looking to get his feet wet like the original poster.

I'm toying with going the 991.1 GT3 route when the equity markets really hit the skids next year, but I'm also considering a 570s. I expect that the market for these cars will continue to soften into next year. The risk seems to be the .1 GT3 cam assembly weakness versus the McLaren gremlins. But what great cars.
I think with the 10 year 120K mile engine warranties it should not worry you. I am possibly in the market as well (have a Shelby 350R I may sell). Watching the GT3 Market closely. Will continue to see good buys going into 2019. I think the .1 is a great car with a great extended warranty on the engine.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:13 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

It depends. If a GT3 with 20k+ miles has seen zero track days and just some spirited driving here and there, the issue may not have had a chance to show up yet. You could take it to the track and after a few hard laps have an engine failure.

But on the other hand, if the car was tracked regularly and has this type of mileage and no engine failure, it's unlikely it will show up later on. But you will most likely looking at other items that will need attention soon with that kind of mileage and lots of it being track time.

The bottomline is that the .1's have a 10yr/100k warranty on the motors. I bought my 2015 with less than 5k on the clock and don't plan to track it. I will just be doing spirited canyon runs on the weekends. If the engine blows, I will just take it into Porsche and have a new one installed.

It's also worth noting the most .1 GT3's will never experience this issue. IMO the .1 engine warranty is one of the best reasons to buy a .1 GT3 and drive the hell out of it

Last edited by phow; 12-14-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:38 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

It's also worth noting the most .1 GT3's will never experience this issue. IMO the .1 engine warranty is one of the best reasons to buy a .1 GT3 and drive the hell out of it
Exactly why I circled back to a 15 this week.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:41 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
It depends. If a GT3 with 20k+ miles has seen zero track days and just some spirited driving here and there, the issue may not have had a chance to show up yet. You could take it to the track and after a few hard laps have an engine failure.

But on the other hand, if the car was tracked regularly and has this type of mileage and no engine failure, it's unlikely it will show up later on. But you will most likely looking at other items that will need attention soon with that kind of mileage and lots of it being track time.

The bottomline is that the .1's have a 10yr/100k warranty on the motors. I bought my 2015 with less than 5k on the clock and don't plan to track it. I will just be doing spirited canyon runs on the weekends. If the engine blows, I will just take it into Porsche and have a new one installed.

The warranties expire 10 years from the original in service date, if I understood right, so they are half gone at this point. 5 years is nothing to sneeze at, though.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:36 AM
phow
Pro

The warranties expire 10 years from the original in service date, if I understood right, so they are half gone at this point. 5 years is nothing to sneeze at, though.
That is correct. Though I doubt many here will still own their cars after the warranty ends. I’ll probably keep mine for 18-24 months. All depends on when I can get my hands on a 992 GT3
Old 12-15-2018, 02:04 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be more worried about cars that have had spirited drives here and there. It’s 50 / 50, some of those spirited drives could have been and some likely have been revved when cold, mostly people that don’t know or don’t care. Usually, but not always, people who track, know their cars well and do take care of them well.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:14 AM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by gago1101

I would be more worried about cars that have had spirited drives here and there. It’s 50 / 50, some of those spirited drives could have been and some likely have been revved when cold, mostly people that don’t know or don’t care. Usually, but not always, people who track, know their cars well and do take care of them well.
eh... during the PPI one of the main points of concern is if the vehicle has been heavily tracked or not. It’s extremely obvious if it has been since the added stress from the track shows itself throughout various components.

No matter how well someone knows or cares for their car, if they are tracking it regularly, they are putting hard miles on the vehicle.

I’ll definitley take a weekend canyon car over someone’s track toy. But that’s just me
Old 12-15-2018, 02:39 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

eh... during the PPI one of the main points of concern is if the vehicle has been heavily tracked or not. It’s extremely obvious if it has been since the added stress from the track shows itself throughout various components.

No matter how well someone knows or cares for their car, if they are tracking it regularly, they are putting hard miles on the vehicle.

I’ll definitley take a weekend canyon car over someone’s track toy. But that’s just me
I am not arguing at all on your point that tracking will put more stress on the engine and other components. It is kind of obvious. But I have seen in person and watched countless videos on youtube how people go from cold start to 9k redline from standstill, makes me cringe. I am just saying be careful and keep this in mind. A good weekend worrier, I agree, will be better than a heavily tracked car. But it can take a few stupid mistakes to ruin an engine, or at least f- it up in some way.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:07 AM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by gago1101

I am not arguing at all on your point that tracking will put more stress on the engine and other components. It is kind of obvious. But I have seen in person and watched countless videos on youtube how people go from cold start to 9k redline from standstill, makes me cringe. I am just saying be careful and keep this in mind. A good weekend worrier, I agree, will be better than a heavily tracked car. But it can take a few stupid mistakes to ruin an engine, or at least f- it up in some way.
I see what you are saying and it’s a valid point.

I just feel tracking puts a guaranteed level of stress on the car. Sure there is a chance of added stress as well if someone did something stupid during the ownership period of the car that was lightly driven. But I would personally choose the latter. That’s just me.

Combine that with the extended engine warranty and it would honestly be the least of my concerns. But I agree in other situations it’s a much more immediate concern.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:27 AM
jimmermd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT Silver (in the foreground) is very different from the neighboring Rhodium Silver.Name:  photo790.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  219.1 KB
Old 12-15-2018, 12:00 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Mine is a 2015. Just finished the first 4 years so 6 more years to go, or 120k miles, on the engine itself. These cars are holding their value very well because the only knock on the car was eliminated, and they are a bargain relative to the new ones. Best car for the money out there. A real beauty too!

Old 12-15-2018, 12:59 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is a 2015. Just finished the first 4 years so 6 more years to go, or 120k miles, on the engine itself. These cars are holding their value very well because the only knock on the car was eliminated, and they are a bargain relative to the new ones. Best car for the money out there. A real beauty too!

+1 on that. I am possibly in the market as I have always wanted one. Keeping an eye out on prices. Love my 350R but man the GT3 is such a beautiful car and a monster on the track
Old 12-15-2018, 03:32 PM
phow
Pro

Agreed 100%. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a .2. The .2 is a fantastic car but for ~40k less, you get 90% of the .2 with the .1 and I’m not nearly good enough of a driver to extract that last 10% anyway. I also personally like the front bumper design better on the .1 but that’s completely subjective.

This car will definitely hold me over until the 992 GT3 becomes available.

Quick Reply: Ready to pull trigger on .1 GT3... Need Feedback