GT3 Door Handles --> GT3RS Door Straps

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 02:35 PM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts
Default GT3 Door Handles --> GT3RS Door Straps

Hey guys,

Has anyone converted their door handles in their GT3 into the GT3RS with Door Straps?

If you have, is it as simple as take one off and put this one on?

I know it's not necessary or whatever... but I loved the look and feel of the straps in my GT4.

Here is the link from Suncoast: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...1GTSTRAPS.html

Thank you!

Old 12-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

It's a pretty big job, but doable in your garage. Someone posted instructions within the last 2 - 3 years, I think. Not sure what you'd search for, but it is here somewhere.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:43 PM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140
It's a pretty big job, but doable in your garage. Someone posted instructions within the last 2 - 3 years, I think. Not sure what you'd search for, but it is here somewhere.
Thank you... trying to find it.

Also, Carrera T door pulls are the same exact part number as the GT3RS.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:58 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1034...-retrofit.html
Old 12-12-2018, 05:17 PM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I saw this and there is no answer in there unfortunately. Will keep looking.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:03 AM
Porschestitute
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking about the same thing.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:14 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

On my 1st GT4, I replaced the standard platinum door pulls with red ones (to match the belts and calipers). That exchange was a breeze.

However looking at the mechanism, changing from a standard handle to a strap/pull will be a PITA for one main reason - the assembly itself is permanent. IIRC it was actually heat bonded to the door element, so you can't simply unscrew the handle assembly and install the strap/pull assembly.

Probably a DIY project where some creativity (and fearlessness) is required, but these doors are expensive (especially in CXX stitch and full leather which is my case), so likely won't attempt. Better off finding a a set from a stripped track car. That is why PAG charged $7K IIRC for those that wanted it, there have been a few owners that opted for it despite the price.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:45 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
On my 1st GT4, I replaced the standard platinum door pulls with red ones (to match the belts and calipers). That exchange was a breeze.

However looking at the mechanism, changing from a standard handle to a strap/pull will be a PITA for one main reason - the assembly itself is permanent. IIRC it was actually heat bonded to the door element, so you can't simply unscrew the handle assembly and install the strap/pull assembly.

Probably a DIY project where some creativity (and fearlessness) is required, but these doors are expensive (especially in CXX stitch and full leather which is my case), so likely won't attempt. Better off finding a a set from a stripped track car. That is why PAG charged $7K IIRC for those that wanted it, there have been a few owners that opted for it despite the price.
I actually inquired about this initially and got denied, and then saw it in a photo and was pissed so I sent an email and got this response...

"The door pulls were only possible to request for a very short window earlier this year (after January at some point they were tested feasible and added as a CXX project as part of the full door panel project only $8630) until PAG discovered technical complications with installing them in a non-RS door panel. The standard GT3 door panel does not have the same type of provisions to allow the fabric RS door strap module to trigger the window-drop upon egress.

So there will be a few that pop up that were commissioned after the project became available and before the technical restriction was put in place, and thus honored."

The following users liked this post:
RS911 (01-21-2020)
Old 12-14-2018, 01:03 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by zmon
I actually inquired about this initially and got denied, and then saw it in a photo and was pissed so I sent an email and got this response...

"The door pulls were only possible to request for a very short window earlier this year (after January at some point they were tested feasible and added as a CXX project as part of the full door panel project only $8630) until PAG discovered technical complications with installing them in a non-RS door panel. The standard GT3 door panel does not have the same type of provisions to allow the fabric RS door strap module to trigger the window-drop upon egress.

So there will be a few that pop up that were commissioned after the project became available and before the technical restriction was put in place, and thus honored."
Hah, good to know the details. Funnily enough, I had also inquired circa late Jan as my build was to lock in Feb, and in fact was extra cocky (or should I say CXX-ey) and asked for the door pulls to be in... Gulf Blue LOL

The Gulf was naturally declined, but I was allowed standard colored straps (which makes sense given timeline), but price killed it for me. Now that I know a few German engineers sweated over this to resolve the 'technical restriction', perhaps makes it a bit more palpable LOL
Old 12-14-2018, 07:29 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

I have an incoming RS and am looking for Miami Blue door pulls. Any ideas for a source?
Old 01-21-2020, 12:59 PM
Porschestitute
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

re hashing this old thread.... so it is not possible ? because the non strap handle is bonded?
Old 01-21-2020, 01:26 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Just had the yellow door strap pulls done by Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas. Since I have yellow seat belts thought this would look better than the GT Silver ones. Of interesting note they don't show up as a GT part. Rather a GT4 part. Pretty common thing on some of the parts they told me. Parts cost with labor (3-hours total) was right around $1,100 if I recall. But oh well. I like them.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschestitute
re hashing this old thread.... so it is not possible ? because the non strap handle is bonded?
It may not be impossible, but it cannot be done with simple hand tools (nuts and bolts). This is a major modification. Changing on GT4 or GT3 RS (yellow one above) is no big deal, as they came originally with straps.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:01 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,708 Likes on 712 Posts

If I recall correctly someone had done it on rennlist. I think he bought two new door panels. Around $2k each
Old 01-21-2020, 05:35 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbravo23
If I recall correctly someone had done it on rennlist. I think he bought two new door panels. Around $2k each
This is correct, you need to buy new door cards from an RS or GT4, not exactly cheap. Not like the old days with the 993 and installed the RS door card with the pull strap.

Quick Reply: GT3 Door Handles --> GT3RS Door Straps