Sponsored by:

PPF question on 991.2 3rs

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts
Default PPF question on 991.2 3rs

Given the side skirt decals go over the top of that factory qtr panel PPF triangle, does everyone remove that factory piece and order new decals or does anyone just PPF over the triangle and decals? I've often PPF'd over decals but not that factory qtr panel POF piece.

On my 991.1rs, my car had cxx 997-style side skirt decals and no factory qtr panel PPF. So, i didn't have this issue. Although, I didn't order it with decals; it just showed up at the port with them on the car, in a matte finish, not on the build sheet and no factory qtr panel PPF (strange all around). So, i didn't have this issue on the last RS.

I'm taking this car to London before it hits the US. So I don't have my typical go-to PPF guys I know in the states. Doing a little research on my own.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

You must either remove the decals all together or remove/replace to keep the look.

Decals can always be replaced later (if you have a change of heart) but rock chips and rash live forever without a respray (urgh). This is one Porsche doesn't have a practical fix for as the decals are matte and the protective film is glossy. Had they overlaid the protective film on the decal, it would turn the appearance of the decal glossy just on the rear quarter/rocker. The ideal fix is someone makes the decals for just the part being removed available for purchase. The whole decal kit is in the realm of $300-$400 plus labor. Not a fortune but still, it would be nice to save that and have more appropriate protection.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Renndecals are a fraction of that cost, they look great and are easy to apply.
I bought 6 sets of decals in diff colors for my GT cars and the total shipped internationally did not come anywhere near that $300 figure
Old 12-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my .1 I got the OEM ppf removed and a full piece of Xpel Ultimate installed but no decals. On the .2 with the decals I talked it thru with the guy who did my ppf and he told me you cant remove and re-use as they will stretch when removed (the decals that is) so you'd need to replace them. Not a huge deal. Cant ppf over the top of everything as it would just look "messy" so also not an option. So its either everything off and reapply or do nothing. I decided to do nothing and see how bad the track rash is. When at the track I will cover the rear quarter in track tape so it would only be fully exposed on the road. If it becomes obvious that I need a bigger piece I will cross that bridge when the time comes. However, after about 900+ road miles only I've already noticed a few dings in the black decal but nothing on the paint yet. I think for me it will be a matter of time before I remove the decal and OEM ppf, get the full rear quarter ppf'd and put a new decal back over the ppf.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:57 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

I ordered my RS without decal since I knew it would get pulled for Xpel. I had them pull the rear stone guards. I then had the new decal applied over the Xpel. Plus, I had them pull the black Porsche wing decal before wrapping, replaced with a Lizard Green one so it is actually visible. So far happy with results.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:29 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Removed side decals
Xpel ultimate
Purchased a new decal and placed over PPF
The decals are taking a beating from road debris
Will definitely need to replace decal in future
Old 12-12-2018, 05:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

for ME
removed the any factory clear film
keep all factory decal (decal is not the same as clear film I am removing)
apply clear bra over everything.
u will see a faint line around the edges of the decals. I like that line.
some do not
Old 12-12-2018, 05:41 PM
GT Venum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I am going over the top of the decals and the film already in front of the rear tire with Xpel film. I think it will look good with the shinny decal. I had the door handles painted gloss black.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:48 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

On my .1RS I had factory cxx decals and they didn't put any clear ppf under the decals. I really didn't want to remove the factory original ones so I had ppf cut around the decal on the back quarter. I'm sure it was a lot of work but I thought it turned out great. The decals took some hits and they aren't very thick so that's not great. On my .2 I'll likely just have them pull the factory ones and ppf under them.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
for ME
some do not
‘I like this option ....I’m in the same boat and my guy says he has no problem covering everything. Thanks for the assurance.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:15 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
for ME
some do not
That's what I I'm doing I think.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:17 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

A preview of what a logo would look like with PPF over it.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:45 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787

‘I like this option ....I’m in the same boat and my guy says he has no problem covering everything. Thanks for the assurance.
Ditto, I'll do the same thing.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

If I understand some of the comments being shared correctly, I think there may be a misunderstanding.

The 991.2 GT3RS has a matte finish decal that is over the protective film on the rear hips. To remove the factory film is to remove the decals. To go over the matte decal with PPF would be to change the rear hip decal to glossy (but not the part on the door) and you would have a ratty looking finish from placing the new PPF over the factory protective film. Just an FYI.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:05 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I'm talking about bumper to bumper PPF: removing the factory triangle and decal, replacing piece of factory decal, and going over all decals with PPF entire car.

I realize the decals on side skirt aren't gloss, but they aren't the matte dark grey reflective looking decals that came cxx on my 991.1 uv. The current ones are more like "eggshell" in the home paint sheen world. my .1 graphics were like flat paint. PPF'ing over them will make them gloss or semi-goss. I think I'd rather have them protected and change their sheen a little. They get beat up pretty easily.

Quick Reply: PPF question on 991.2 3rs