Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:19 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Given the side skirt decals go over the top of that factory qtr panel PPF triangle, does everyone remove that factory piece and order new decals or does anyone just PPF over the triangle and decals? I've often PPF'd over decals but not that factory qtr panel POF piece.

On my 991.1rs, my car had cxx 997-style side skirt decals and no factory qtr panel PPF. So, i didn't have this issue. Although, I didn't order it with decals; it just showed up at the port with them on the car, in a matte finish, not on the build sheet and no factory qtr panel PPF (strange all around). So, i didn't have this issue on the last RS.

I'm taking this car to London before it hits the US. So I don't have my typical go-to PPF guys I know in the states. Doing a little research on my own.
At our shop, we like to retain the OEM appearance...we remove existing decal, paint correction, apply ppf, then apply new OEM decals, or aftermarket decal if client requests, then we nano

Personally, not a fan of ppf OVER decal...you get an air pocket around the edge of the letters

Hope that helps
Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a pic of a replacement OEM side decal on top of PPF. It retains the factory matte finish. Only downside is, the decals are taking a beating from pebbles. Several micro tears already. I will have to eventually replace decal down the road.
Attached Images   
Old 12-14-2018, 04:09 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
At our shop, we like to retain the OEM appearance...we remove existing decal, paint correction, apply ppf, then apply new OEM decals, or aftermarket decal if client requests, then we nano

Personally, not a fan of ppf OVER decal...you get an air pocket around the edge of the letters

Hope that helps
This gen decals a LOT cheaper and available. So I'll replace and go over top of PPF.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:26 PM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
This gen decals a LOT cheaper and available. So I'll replace and go over top of PPF.
Good choice. That’s what my guy did plus provides an opportunity for customization both now and down the track without removing the PPF...

Old 12-16-2018, 01:46 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Out of curiosity, for those who know more about PPF than I do... Doesn't leaving an air bubble caused by overlaying the PPF on top of the decal reduce the integrity of the PPF? Over time, won't that bubble cause issues?
Old 12-16-2018, 02:41 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Out of curiosity, for those who know more about PPF than I do... Doesn't leaving an air bubble caused by overlaying the PPF on top of the decal reduce the integrity of the PPF? Over time, won't that bubble cause issues?
Yes
And
Yes
Old 12-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Ive never had it cause problems. Film has needed to be replaced for yellowing or corner/edge lifting long before any decal bubble line causing anything.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:42 PM
GT Venum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I wrapped over my drivers stripe on my ACR and have an air line on both sides. It has not caused any issues after 6 years. Xpel Ultimate film
Old 12-16-2018, 08:12 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Other than the air pocket halo around vinyl edge, shouldn’t have any further problems as the adhesive will be activated

Quick Reply: PPF question on 991.2 3rs