Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 flip value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

Let me give you a killer deal on the Blockbuster stock that I've got. Best deal you'll find all year. Very, VERY smart move to make. Trust me.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:37 PM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
First of all the deal sucks. I got MSRP on mine after having it 3 months and about 1,000 miles.

There are also plenty of GT 3 cars at MSRP with good builds and low miles under 1,000.........that you may want to buy and save some money........

I'd tell dealer that I will buy a new GT3 spec at MSRP and show them your build from configurator........
I did that, and gave them my credit card too. The sales guy thought he could get the allocation assigned to me. The GM said no, showed me a stack of folders which he said was a waitlist of loyal customers. Then they offered me the cancelled order. I came up w/ the buy/trade if I could get the allocation. They came up w/ 20k below msrp. So these guys aren't letting a build go to someone with no history.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:40 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by victorc31
This is right. I get to spec my own GT3 at MSRP if I buy a cancelled order at MSRP and trade it back at $20k below sticker.
There really is not much more to it than that.
Oh, and this is my first Porsche, so I guess it's an initiation fee too :-)
So assuming you get it in writing what the deal is (not hard) and assuming there is no real adverse sales tax consequences, $20k ADM is ballpark average for a GT3 build slot so if it helps the dealer why do you care how they do it? Do you want to pay $20k over for a Gt3? If so, do it, if not, don’t.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist, victorc31, and potentially welcome to Porsche ownership.

You are getting responses all over the board, and I think it is because your initial question is confusing. Or maybe I'm confused. Let me see if I can get this straight.

You are buying an allocation, a car you can build to your own spec, at MSRP. You are also buying then re-selling another car, a cancelled order, back to the dealer for a net loss of $20K.

So, as I understand it, what others think the "flip value" is really doesn't make a difference. The cancelled order car doesn't really matter as well, since the dealer will buy it right back from you, with you losing $20K in the deal.

So, what it really boils down to is that you are buying an allocation to build a car to your specs at $20K over MSRP..

The correct question to ask, then, is "What is the current ADM for an allocation?". It seems this whole process is just a convoluted way for the dealership to get an ADM.

I suggest you negotiate on that $20K ADM, Once you get to a number you are comfortable with, I suggest you DO NOT yet buy the cancelled car order. Buy it if and only if your ordered allocation car is delivered. or at the very least in production with a VIN #.. You DO NOT want to get stuck with the cancelled order car and not have the car you built.
"
Old 12-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Don't forget - you will also be out the sales tax on the second GT3. Unless your state allows tax credit for a trade.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:50 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

So. To sum it up: OP is paying 20k to be able to spec his own GT3 and jump ahead of other customers.

That seems like it is par for the course. Too many people, not enough personally spec-able cars.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
So, what it really boils down to is that you are buying an allocation to build a car to your specs at $20K over MSRP.
...and the 'good guy MSRP only' dealer gets ADM on two NEW cars, one of which is guaranteed months in advance of delivery. This is why we hate Porsche dealers.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:02 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

I'll be the contrarian. Its not that bad. Everyone here is getting a little hysterical

Let me explain. There are very few brand new allocations available. And so if you want to spec your own car, the end of the road is here. That cost is around a $15-20K ADM. So if you want to spec a car, that is the price of admission. Of course you can do much better if you just buy something on the ground. AND that's why i dont think its such a bad deal. YOU obviously want to spec a car and for that you will pay $20K

Now why they are making you buy, sell, buy is beyond me - seems like they are just avoiding the "we are an ADM dealer". You may have to play that game only if you cant find an allocation for $20K over (would be far easier) AND you want a specced car.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:19 PM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. I'm trying to get a yellow with 18-way seats and PDK.. that is super rare.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:39 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 97 Posts

Why not get MSRP for your flip car and pay the ADM on the ordered car. Seems like that would be safer for you unless no new allocation happens
Old 12-12-2018, 05:57 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

I did that, and gave them my credit card too. The sales guy thought he could get the allocation assigned to me. The GM said no, showed me a stack of folders which he said was a waitlist of loyal customers. Then they offered me the acancelled order. I came up w/ the buy/trade if I could get the allocation. They came up w/ 20k below msrp. So these guys aren't letting a build go to someone with no history.
If the dealer has a bunch of "loyal customers" in the wings that he is willing to undercut for $20k then it says a lot about how you will be treated when you are a "loyal customer." Since market price is not $20K over MSRP this would be an ill-advised deal. As others have mentioned, lots of great GT3s out in the wild for decent $$. You might even find a PTS car. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2018, 06:07 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

What is the MSRP? Can you sell it to me as a private seller after you take delivery? I would pay 10k under sticker and you save $10k. PM build sheet if you can. Is it here? I'm just thinking about buying it for 3 months while I wait for my 3RS. Then I'll just trade it in and take the hit. Need something to drive (need might be a strong word. haha)
Old 12-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Hi,

Has anyone flipped a newly bought GT3 back to a dealer and what did they give for it?
Assume no miles added and you flip it back same day or right away.
Of course many will want to know why someone would do this... let's just say it's the price of admission.

Thanks
Based on your selection of "turning it back into the dealer", you've probably gotten a sense of how difficult it is to sell to this picky crowd.

GLWS and your GT3RS early arrival

Originally Posted by joejenie
What is the MSRP? Can you sell it to me as a private seller after you take delivery? I would pay 10k under sticker and you save $10k. PM build sheet if you can. Is it here? I'm just thinking about buying it for 3 months while I wait for my 3RS. Then I'll just trade it in and take the hit. Need something to drive (need might be a strong word. haha)
Yep, AZ and NV folks would be the prime targets with the private party sales incurring no sales tax.
My guess is OP is trying to establish a "relationship" with the dealership for future transactions
Old 12-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Sounds like a good way to inflate the dealers sales numbers.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:50 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Based on your selection of "turning it back into the dealer", you've probably gotten a sense of how difficult it is to sell to this picky crowd.

GLWS and your GT3RS early arrival

Yep, AZ and NV folks would be the prime targets with the private party sales incurring no sales tax.
My guess is OP is trying to establish a "relationship" with the dealership for future transactions
Yes, I figured this is about building a relationship, but figured I would make an offer. Need something to trade in on my 3RS to help against sales tax anyway. I'll find something but can't pay too much or it defeats the purpose! haha.

Personally, the relationship thing is probably a little overrated. All dealers love you as long as you keep writing checks and losing money. Those charging ADMs are not your friend. . It's a business deal.

Quick Reply: GT3 flip value?