Sponsored by:

Wife left me. This could get ugly.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 02:57 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
Rob, Scuderia for the win. My wife and I at High Plains Raceway.

Very cool!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:01 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Okay good to see that this forum is as conflicted as I am! Thanks for chiming in guys. I need to drive them both. I won't know until I do that. But the 458 is sexy. Prettiest F car of all time imo. I think the wife will get behind that one a lot easier. But the Scuderia is a keeper. That is a car that will always be special. Taking that thing out will always be an event. But will she hate it? Will the maintenance kill me?

Damn!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:02 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Also - check out a 360 CS ....that's the one I missed out on - - -really wish I bought one years ago
Old 12-10-2018, 03:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
That looks like lots of fun, Rob! Just my 2 cents, but if you're going to keep the PDK-S GT3 and want some contrast - how about a non-Scuderia F430 with the Gated Manual 6spd? The last of the Ferrari Manual sports cars...

I drove one once and it was fun! Of course, Sean's Scuderia is pretty awesome too! You'd have to get a Capristo or some mean exhaust for the F430...
Okay finally found one for sale. Not going to save anything over the 458. You manual guys are killing me.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Also - check out a 360 CS ....that's the one I missed out on - - -really wish I bought one years ago
Thanks for the help! Yeah I looked at those too, and they are pretty amazing as well. I just think this decision comes down to 458 vs Scuderia. These are two major want cars.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:12 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Okay good to see that this forum is as conflicted as I am! Thanks for chiming in guys. I need to drive them both. I won't know until I do that. But the 458 is sexy. Prettiest F car of all time imo. I think the wife will get behind that one a lot easier. But the Scuderia is a keeper. That is a car that will always be special. Taking that thing out will always be an event. But will she hate it? Will the maintenance kill me?

Damn!
She will hate it.....maint won't kill you if you use an indep shop.....the 458 is the prettier, take it out on the town, show it off, prance it around.....Scud you take behind closed doors and abuse the f*&% out of it and it just keeps smiling and screams for more.....easy choice in my mind
Old 12-10-2018, 03:12 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Manual 430s are exactly the bargain bin, so don't view it as saving money, more a different experience.

I'd vote for the Scud or a V12 (599, F12, etc). 458 is interesting but not nearly as much as the Scud. If you want something more comfortable embrace the F car heritage in full and get a 12, have to do it at least once.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:15 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Buy scud and 458 and sell there one you don't like.

I am of know help. Don't know which one I would get. Can't really loose
Old 12-10-2018, 03:40 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
She will hate it.....maint won't kill you if you use an indep shop.....the 458 is the prettier, take it out on the town, show it off, prance it around.....Scud you take behind closed doors and abuse the f*&% out of it and it just keeps smiling and screams for more.....easy choice in my mind
Yeah, her hating it is a show stopper. It is a lot of money, and it is her car too. Maybe not as far as driving is concerned, but enjoying being out in it. I just can’t buy a car she will hate. That would be too selfish.

Originally Posted by signes
Manual 430s are exactly the bargain bin, so don't view it as saving money, more a different experience.

I'd vote for the Scud or a V12 (599, F12, etc). 458 is interesting but not nearly as much as the Scud. If you want something more comfortable embrace the F car heritage in full and get a 12, have to do it at least once.
I just can’t get past the looks of the F12 or 599. I need a car that i look back at every time i walk away from it. The GT3 still does it for me. I am pretty sure the 458 would as well.

Originally Posted by tasman
Buy scud and 458 and sell there one you don't like.

I am of know help. Don't know which one I would get. Can't really loose
You write the checks and i am good with that!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:43 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rob--
Love the 458 driving experience and the noises it makes. Almost picked one up myself, but don't like the F-car service experience, etc...Ferrari is no Porsche when it comes to standing behind product. At the time I was looking to purchase a 458 after spending so good seat time in a couple, the whole issue with the transmission failures (Not serviceable, only replaceable at around $45K...F430 is serviceable and have issues....maybe different now... https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/th...issues.527441/ ). The Spyder may be the way to go....but again if the top mechanism has issues...$$$$...the California had issues and it was a $50K-60K fix.....Don't mean to rain on your parade, as I do enjoy driving the cars (PDK is so much better than F-car transmission....so much better)....For me the deciding factor was the replacement cost for 458 wiper blades: get this. after market is $21, but through Ferrari: $150 .... yes $150. It's not the $150, its that I don't readily enjoy being bent-over and getting screwed with such ludicrous BS.
All that being said, no F-cars for me anymore or ever again. Period. If I go that way, McLaren it is. You'll enjoy it (at times) just know what you are signing up for. Best of luck!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Rob--
Love the 458 driving experience and the noises it makes. Almost picked one up myself, but don't like the F-car service experience, etc...Ferrari is no Porsche when it comes to standing behind product. At the time I was looking to purchase a 458 after spending so good seat time in a couple, the whole issue with the transmission failures (Not serviceable, only replaceable at around $45K...F430 is serviceable and have issues....maybe different now... https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/th...issues.527441/ ). The Spyder may be the way to go....but again if the top mechanism has issues...$$$$...the California had issues and it was a $50K-60K fix.....Don't mean to rain on your parade, as I do enjoy driving the cars (PDK is so much better than F-car transmission....so much better)....For me the deciding factor was the replacement cost for 458 wiper blades: get this. after market is $21, but through Ferrari: $150 .... yes $150. It's not the $150, its that I don't readily enjoy being bent-over and getting screwed with such ludicrous BS.
All that being said, no F-cars for me anymore or ever again. Period. If I go that way, McLaren it is. You'll enjoy it (at times) just know what you are signing up for. Best of luck!
Yeah, that is pretty ugly. I would do as much service as possible myself, as lng as it didn’t void any warranties. But i will read up on that llnk. No worries. I don’t mind my parade being rained on if i can avoid a hurricane down the road!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

everyone has some great input, here is mine.
I put about 1000 miles on 458 speciale and more Thant that on scud.
both shifting system are done by HS kids. they just don't shift right, fast or slow, all bad. just terrible.
but they are Ferraris, so I put up with that.
the speciale sounded nice, like any redheads... oh, this one is blonde however.
but you know how I judge a car. if I have the itch to cut a check then it's a good car. not that doesn't mean I can afford the cars I wanna buy, it only means if I have the interest to cut a check. well with speciale, ZERO interest. after the extended loan and drive (friends car and I abuse it like my own), I send it back to him. tell him pls send me something else that's interesting. it really did nothing for me.

scud was more fun. slow but fun.

so u might want to find someone who can give you a ride or let you drive it a bit b4 you spend the $

if you ignore depn, I cannot see how one will take fiat over Mac.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:02 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Had fun with my F-car for a short time - in Estes with friends. Now only non-911 that tempts me is Mac 600LT...

Old 12-10-2018, 04:11 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
If 430, go with manual, so Scuderia is out. The Magneti-Marelli F1 system in the 599, 430, 360, 355 and every car before the German Getrag found in the 458/F12 and forward is disastrous, fragile, and expensive to maintain. It is annoying that a street driven car requires a new clutch every 5,000 miles, or less than 1,000 miles if you track it. The transmission alone says runs away. I had a $19k bill to repair the F1 actuators at 11,000 miles in my 599 HGTE, and never tracked the car.....
Sad to say, not a unique bill. The Scud/16M also had this SuperFast 2 , single clutch transmission with 60ms shift speeds, excitingly violent but must cause huge wear and tear.

The 458 went with a dual clutch.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

thank God i don't fit in the 430 or 458, I have even had the dealer lower the seating in the buckets and still don't fit, at least to the point of enjoying it. The 458 is money, sound, design and quality (reliability wise over past models) I would love to have a 458 and keep my 991.2gt3 manual., I just need a 3rd pedal to be happy, so this would be my goof off car, dinners out, around town, trips etc, but the gt3 would be my kill it car.

Quick Reply: Wife left me. This could get ugly.