Lease Question regarding "Rent Charge"

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 02:18 AM
Sanjaghak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lease Question regarding "Rent Charge"

Hi,
I heard that you have "Option to Purchase" your leased Porsche and do not need to go to the end of the contract.
The part that I want to understand is the "Rent Charge" area of the payment and how it get calculated at the end.
Imagine my "Adjusted Capitalized Cost" is $100k and and the rent charge is $30k for entire lease terms and I am paying $2K per month before tax.
1) If I want to buyout the car after 8 months and I already paid $16k what will be my buyout cost? will it be less than $100k but more than $84k because portion of my payments went toward "Rent Charge" or it will be still $100K because all of your payment will go toward "Rent Charge" until it goes to zero?
2) Is the "Rent Charge" equally distributed between every months or it is higher at the beginning and goes down? Is there a way to calculate or estimate how much of your each payment will go toward rent charge?
3) Is there any rule about how soon you can exercise your "Option to Purchase" with Porsche finance?
Regards,
Old 12-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjaghak
Hi,
I heard that you have "Option to Purchase" your leased Porsche and do not need to go to the end of the contract.
The part that I want to understand is the "Rent Charge" area of the payment and how it get calculated at the end.
Imagine my "Adjusted Capitalized Cost" is $100k and and the rent charge is $30k for entire lease terms and I am paying $2K per month before tax.
1) If I want to buyout the car after 8 months and I already paid $16k what will be my buyout cost? will it be less than $100k but more than $84k because portion of my payments went toward "Rent Charge" or it will be still $100K because all of your payment will go toward "Rent Charge" until it goes to zero?
2) Is the "Rent Charge" equally distributed between every months or it is higher at the beginning and goes down? Is there a way to calculate or estimate how much of your each payment will go toward rent charge?
3) Is there any rule about how soon you can exercise your "Option to Purchase" with Porsche finance?
Regards,
Never leased a Porsche but should work like most leases. Your rent charge is the portion of the car you’re buying for X term which you have to satisfy = 30k. To purchase the car that would be the residual value stated in your contract .....in the end sometimes you can negotiate that. Most cases the residual sucks and you can get a better deal vs the forecasted residual. You can buy the car anytime you want no downside to the lease company.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:51 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

In the eyes of the lender, a lease and a loan are very similar. You can call Porsche Financial at any time and ask your payoff amount. There should be no issue with paying it off at any time if that's what you choose to do.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:37 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Not sure how Porsche financial works but some unscrupulous banks will charge the market rate of the car if trying to purchase before the lease is up.

Every payment should theoretically be weighted the same
Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

I checked on the lease for fun a few months ago. Quite frankly, Porsche's lease percentages were horrible. Money factor was something like 9% interest. I was trying to work out a clever deal where my company leases the car for my daily driver (haha) and then I would buy it at the end of the lease. It was going to cost me almost $30k more than just paying cash. I decided it wasn't worth it, but might be to someone. My dealer would have been happy to make that deal.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:17 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Rent factor is distributed equally per month, as are the mileage allocated to your lease.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:31 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Every lease payment is made up of depreciation, rent, and tax. Depreciation is the fixed monthly principal reduction, which is the capitalized cost minus the residual value, divided by number of payments. Rent is the fixed monthly finance cost based on the money factor, so basically your interest payment. Tax is your sales tax (if applicable in your state).

Just so its clear, all three values are fixed for every payment. You make the same depreciation, rent, and tax payment every month. It's not like a conventional loan.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:20 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 535 Posts

there is no rule as when to buy your lease
I leased a boxter S three years ago from PFS and sold the car 4 months later to the dealer
basically the dealer paid off the car for me and I paid them the difference between the actual value of the car and the payoff amount
Old 12-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Sanjaghak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Rent factor is distributed equally per month, as are the mileage allocated to your lease.
Originally Posted by Serge944
Every lease payment is made up of depreciation, rent, and tax. Depreciation is the fixed monthly principal reduction, which is the capitalized cost minus the residual value, divided by number of payments. Rent is the fixed monthly finance cost based on the money factor, so basically your interest payment. Tax is your sales tax (if applicable in your state).

Just so its clear, all three values are fixed for every payment. You make the same depreciation, rent, and tax payment every month. It's not like a conventional loan.
Thanks for the replies:
That was my understanding too, but then I found this segment of lease contract regarding buyout:

“ Minus unearned Rent Charges calculated according to the actuarial method ... inder this method a Base Monthly Payment is applied first to accumulated Rent Charge and any reminder is subtracted from, or any deficiency is added to, the adjusted Capitalized Cost. Rent charges are earned on a set of monthly schedule regardless of when a Monthly Payment or Single Payment is received. Rent charges are at their maximum at the beginning of the lease term and decrease to thier minimum at the end of the lease term”

My understanding from above is that the Rent Charge portion is not the same every month (last sentence) and it is possible that it will be even more than all the monthly payment that your paying early one (the part that mentions any deficiency will be added the adjusted cost.

what am I missing here?

Quick Reply: Lease Question regarding "Rent Charge"