Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did race car drivers have to be more skilled in the old days?

Old 12-07-2018, 11:09 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Did race car drivers have to be more skilled in the old days?

Saw this video on the PCA website. Just look at the hand/foot action. Before the days of PSM PTV ABS. Less speed but way fewer safety features.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,478 Likes on 2,268 Posts

YES
Old 12-08-2018, 04:14 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, but more important have bigger *****
Old 12-08-2018, 04:28 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 936 Likes on 430 Posts

I wouldn’t say so, this is a current driver in an old car, I don’t think he looks like he’s struggling or lacking in any way

Check out Goodwood Revival, a bunch of current and ex drivers racing old machinery to the limit.

If you can drive, you can drive

JC
Old 12-08-2018, 05:48 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Resounding YES.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:00 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by FelisMalicious
Yes, but more important have bigger *****
Let's agree to disagree.
Example:
https://youtu.be/cTCT7FIaf4U

This is not the same job anymore, but the basic needs are still the same.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:03 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

The bigger difference was how fragile the cars were

Today's 24 hour races are a sprint
Old 12-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Resounding No from me. Everything went much slower and pressing a clutch and moving a gear level is not where the real skill of a racing driver lies. In the old days the pool of racing drivers was much smaller. With the amount of data analysis and because the sport has become more accessible to a broader section of the population, it takes more skill and training now to really stand out. Higher speeds and gforces also mean fitness levels and concentration levels need to be much higher.

We are all speculating of course, but I reckon if your took a random selection of current top drivers and ported them to the ‘70 they would cream the rest of the field once familiar with the controls. Vice versa I reckon the old era drivers wouldn’t stand a chance in a modern race series.

Still amazing though how they risked their lives and for sure the sport was more spectacular to watch back then.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:20 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 938 Likes on 420 Posts

Is there any sport on earth where the athletes are less talented now then say 40 years ago? Uh no.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika911
. Vice versa I reckon the old era drivers wouldn’t stand a chance in a modern race series.
i don't know. I'd love to see someone like Gilles Villeneuve drive a modern car. I think he would puke in the face of pretty much everybody. He wouldn't finish half the races but he'd win the other half.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:08 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika911
Resounding No from me. Everything went much slower and pressing a clutch and moving a gear level is not where the real skill of a racing driver lies. In the old days the pool of racing drivers was much smaller. With the amount of data analysis and because the sport has become more accessible to a broader section of the population, it takes more skill and training now to really stand out. Higher speeds and gforces also mean fitness levels and concentration levels need to be much higher.

We are all speculating of course, but I reckon if your took a random selection of current top drivers and ported them to the ‘70 they would cream the rest of the field once familiar with the controls. Vice versa I reckon the old era drivers wouldn’t stand a chance in a modern race series.

Still amazing though how they risked their lives and for sure the sport was more spectacular to watch back then.
So....I have quote a lot of seat time in 996 cup, 997.2 cup and 73 RSR spec historic car

24 hour endurance races used to take finesse...the cars were fragile. you were putting 350 ish HP thru a 915 gear box. if you didnt have finesse the car wouldnt last

The modern cups you can beat the crap out of them and they just keeping going....they are faster, but much much easier to drive at the limit. ABS and TC make it REALLY easy....and all you have to do is repeat data

In the 60s and 70s...up until early 90s if a few guys wanted to campaign a car in an endurance race it was possible on a reasonable budget

These days the best drivers are not the ones running....the ones running are the ones with the largest checkbook / trust fund ect.....pro racing doesn't pay....its a sport for the wealthy.

Pro racing parallels the same path as Rolex Equestrian....its for the "haves" not the "nots"
Old 12-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

You have to be skilled and a brave MF to race cars, whether today or back in the day.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:48 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Hard to know

what I do know is that all the old timers in racing I know tell awesome stories of getting hammered the night before races and all sorts of cool fun stuff

i can’t ecen have a beer the night before a race

now maybe they they were just that good that it didn’t matter but it’s interesting to ponder
Old 12-08-2018, 07:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
Hard to know

what I do know is that all the old timers in racing I know tell awesome stories of getting hammered the night before races and all sorts of cool fun stuff

i can’t ecen have a beer the night before a race

now maybe they they were just that good that it didn’t matter but it’s interesting to ponder
When I was driving recently at Spa in Belgium, they served all the drivers beer with lunch (just one) between sessions. I thought pretty civilized, but can only imagine the outrage if they did that here...
Old 12-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
i don't know. I'd love to see someone like Gilles Villeneuve drive a modern car. I think he would puke in the face of pretty much everybody. He wouldn't finish half the races but he'd win the other half.
Really wish it would have been possible as he was a phenomenal driver. But I reckon if he stepped into a current F1 car with was then the accepted level of fitness, he would pass out from the g forces. I cannot think of any driver in those days that was hyper fit, whereas many of the drivers in top and even medium levels do very well in triathlon, marathons, etc. And the training these days goes well beyond fitness, dealing with mental strength, reaction speed, strategic thinking, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did race car drivers have to be more skilled in the old days?