Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did race car drivers have to be more skilled in the old days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Another factor that makes me say the older ones were better: the ballz you need to go flat out when every third weekend someone dies or gets gravely injured in a fiery crash are much bigger than those you need with all the safety features.
I disagree. Willingness to take excessive safety risks because that's part of the macho warrior culture doesn't make you a better athlete or reflect bigger *****. Good pros aren't like DE driver or club racers; they're all driving as close to the limit as they can, and aren't dialing it back out of concern for safety. It's just that, these days, they fortunately have much less chance of being seriously injured or killed.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:30 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

At least more skills and much more *****, not necessarly more skilled. I do believe modern drivers are more skilled at what they know tho, especially precision, but I do recall Walter Rohl talking how he was able to just pick almost by inch how much he wanted his 037 to cut a corner on Monte Carlo rally (?) when Lancia won the WRC. This to say they where pretty precise with the tools they had.

One thing is for sure, there are world class drivers that can't do heel and toe to save their lives, it's just a skill they don't need to possess in their job.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
Had I known you were going to say what I said I wouldn't have bothered posting my response
LOL...track drivers think alike! I like how you stated it.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Akunob

LOL...track drivers think alike! I like how you stated it.
Thanks, but you said the same thing with fewer words...that has to be better
Old 12-11-2018, 02:21 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

No.

Easier to drive a slower car fast than a faster car faster.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:54 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No.

Ding ding ding. If nothing else, current drivers are better just by having data to learn from and being able to operate at such faster speeds. Not to mention the need to manage the electronics and then the need for marketing prowess on top of that.

If you look at a current drivers skill set, just pushing the pedals and turning the wheel is 10% of their total paxkage.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

No.

I agree in a general sense, but I think there can be exceptions. Assuming driving at the limit, a slow car with mediocre handling characteristics could be harder to drive than a fast car with excellent and intuitive handling.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

No.

Originally Posted by Manifold
I agree in a general sense, but I think there can be exceptions. Assuming driving at the limit, a slow car with mediocre handling characteristics could be harder to drive than a fast car with excellent and intuitive handling.
I don't disagree with that assuming we are talking about just driving alone on a circuit.

But in a race, where because of the faster cars (and thus higher speeds) everything happens faster, which requires more mental dexterity and physical and physiological reflexes, makes being a race car driver today more difficult than yesterday.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:51 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't disagree with that assuming we are talking about just driving alone on a circuit.

But in a race, where because of the faster cars (and thus higher speeds) everything happens faster, which requires more mental dexterity and physical and physiological reflexes, makes being a race car driver today more difficult than yesterday.
I think it depends. A lot of cars are faster now not just because of power, but because of aero and technology (ABS, traction control, yaw control, whatever). High-power cars with good aero are easier to drive fast than cars with little aero that have good power. They have higher limits, and are more forgiving of errors. So while driving at the absolute limit is always work, it's a little less work in that type of car. And typically a less severe price to pay if/when you screw up. Same thing with technology like ABS, traction control, yaw control...again, it's the same amount of skill to drive at and keep the car at the limit, but the technology will help save you if you screw up. If you go a little over the limit under braking with a non-ABS car, you end up with square tires and effectively end your race in a lot of cases. With ABS, you will still blow the turn, but your tires will be ok (unless you're so far off in your braking that you explore unplanned areas of the track ). With TC, if you're a bit heavy-footed coming out of a turn, the TC system will help save the tires and help keep you from breaking the back end free. Without TC, you're probably getting sideways or enjoying the sight of all the cars behind you coming at the front of your car. So I think with a lot of race cars today, some aspects of driving are a little easier and a little more forgiving. But then you potentially have all the extra controls to deal with in the car...TC settings, ABS settings, diff settings, fuel maps, hybrid settings...it can go on forever. And that's a level of complexity that old-time drivers never had to deal with. So there's a lot more to think about, and less time to do it when you're going even faster.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:28 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
Interesting topic. I think a good driver is a good driver, regardless of era. To drive at the limit all the time is about feel, and some of that comes from natural ability and some from practice. That said, with less advanced cars you have less technology helping you....no downforce, no ABS, no traction control, etc., so driving at the limit and staying there is harder to do than with a more current car with a ton of downforce and electronics to help you out. I think the people who raced 30+ years ago probably had better feel for the limits in those cars and better ability to control them compared to a current driver. At the same time, current drivers have a better feel for driving high downforce cars with ABS, TC, etc., which the guys from 30+ years ago would have a hard time with. But in either case, if you took a great driver in his prime from 1970 and put him in a current car, after some practice time he'd become a great driver in that car. And if you put a great driver from today in car from 1970 and give him some practice time, he'll be a great driver in that car. I think the guys who are truly good can drive anything. I agree completely, though, that drivers currently are in better shape physically and have better training available. It would take the guys from 30+ years ago awhile to catch up with that. And I think dealing with all the settings, switches, *****, etc. in a current race car would add another level of complexity which guys 30 years ago wouldn't have had to deal with. I can't figure out how current F1 guys handle navigating through menus and options in the middle of an F1 race. I need to wait for a decent length straight just to make a brake bias adjustment
^ This is perfect explanation
Old 12-11-2018, 10:35 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

I disagree. Willingness to take excessive safety risks because that's part of the macho warrior culture doesn't make you a better athlete or reflect bigger *****. Good pros aren't like DE driver or club racers; they're all driving as close to the limit as they can, and aren't dialing it back out of concern for safety. It's just that, these days, they fortunately have much less chance of being seriously injured or killed.
Having a safer car makes it easier to drive to/beyond the limit. Guess we all can agree that a great deal of respect to best drivers of any “era”. They all lay it out while we play.....
Old 12-11-2018, 10:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheSilverFox

Having a safer car makes it easier to drive to/beyond the limit. Guess we all can agree that a great deal of respect to best drivers of any “era”. They all lay it out while we play.....
My point is that good pros are driving at the limit to the extent they can, regardless of the safety or lack thereof. They just happen to be taking more risk if there's less safety. It's us non-pros that dial it back based on perception of safety risks.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:13 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

My point is that good pros are driving at the limit to the extent they can, regardless of the safety or lack thereof. They just happen to be taking more risk if there's less safety. It's us non-pros that dial it back based on perception of safety risks.
Yes, Agree. My point was we should all agree that the best of best of the “era” were the “best”.

Now we can all proceed to continue to play cars and have fun driving as fast as we can on track

Definitely an interesting topic
Old 12-11-2018, 11:42 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika911
Resounding No from me. Everything went much slower and pressing a clutch and moving a gear level is not where the real skill of a racing driver lies. In the old days the pool of racing drivers was much smaller. With the amount of data analysis and because the sport has become more accessible to a broader section of the population, it takes more skill and training now to really stand out. Higher speeds and gforces also mean fitness levels and concentration levels need to be much higher.

We are all speculating of course, but I reckon if your took a random selection of current top drivers and ported them to the ‘70 they would cream the rest of the field once familiar with the controls. Vice versa I reckon the old era drivers wouldn’t stand a chance in a modern race series.

Still amazing though how they risked their lives and for sure the sport was more spectacular to watch back then.
I think you error here in one respect. Seat time. Modern drivers don’t get near the seat time the top pros did in the 60’s and 70’s. They were racing every week of the year in vastly different series and cars. The top 20 drivers then probably raced 3 to 5x the races in their career as today’s top drivers. If you believe it takes 10,000 hours to be an expert at anything then older pro drivers logged more hours faster. And simulators are not a substitute for seat time. Mario Andretti was famous for running mid week sprint car races while crossing the globe running various top formula cars. I would expect the top 20 from that era- Jimmy Clark, Mario, Dan Gurney etc, in their prime would match the best of this era.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:07 AM
Nate2046
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Is there any sport on earth where the athletes are less talented now then say 40 years ago? Uh no.
Pretty much sums it up right there.

Good example for the ‘modern race cars drive themselves’ crowd

Quick Reply: Did race car drivers have to be more skilled in the old days?