Sponsored by:

It’s going to be in the 30s...Dunlop Sport Max tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 11:43 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Palting
The roads are salted, the car is in the garage with the trickle charger connected, but I'm giving this winter driving thing some thought since I'm getting severe withdrawal symptoms. Setting aside the idea that road salt will get all over, under and inside the car chassis for the moment.

Most of us who want to and do drive in the winter will do so on regular surface roads, roads that are plowed and salted. So long as we are smart about it, we can use our standard tires. The issue is that the cold can make these R compound tires hard as rocks permanently, and can crack or damage them.

So, why not just regular, non-R compound tires in the correct sizes, rather than snow tires that are the wrong size? Here's an all season tire in the right size: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ndard%20Brakes. Nothing beats the R compounds in the summer for performance, but these all seasons should be better in the winter, likely also a better deal than snow tires on cold but plowed and salted roads. Even the summer tires, like the Mich 4S may be better No?
Obviously just my opinion, but I think you're better off with a winter tire. All-season tires are a compromise that attempts to give you a year-round tire, but at the expense of maximum performance in the summer and best possible grip in winter. They "mostly work" in all normal conditions, but with trade-offs. Given that you have summer performance tires to use from April - November, why not go with a tire specifically designed for cold weather in the winter? They have a better compound for cold temps and will maintain flexibility to lower temperatures than an all-season tire. Plus they'll have better grip if you do find yourself on snow and ice. I think the all seasons will probably work fine if you're driving on warmer winter days in dry conditions, but for me I'd go with a tire that will handle all winter conditions. Quick example: I had all season tires on a car at one point and frequently had to drive up a not too steep hill that would ice up in the winter. A lot of times I had to turn off traction control on the car to make it up the hill, tires spinning all the way . Once I switched to winter tires, it was never an issue again. Also, different magazines have done tire tests over the years, and the conclusion is always the same: any car/truck, regardless of drive configuration (RWD, FWD, or AWD), with winter tires will have better grip in the winter than any car/truck, regardless of drive configuration, with all-season tires. So in other words, you're better off with a GT3RS with winter tires than an AWD SUV with all season tires .
Old 12-09-2018, 11:39 AM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 67 Posts

There’s a lot of discussion regarding temperatures (e.g. winter v summer). How about humidity v dryness ... I live in the desert and I wonder what’s the impact to the tires, if any, of the dry weather. Also, how about apparent temperature (e.g. wind chill effect / dry heat) ... anyone volunteer?

Cheers!
Old 12-09-2018, 11:42 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
There’s a lot of discussion regarding temperatures (e.g. winter v summer). How about humidity v dryness ... I live in the desert and I wonder what’s the impact to the tires, if any, of the dry weather. Also, how about apparent temperature (e.g. wind chill effect / dry heat) ... anyone volunteer?

Cheers!
Wind chill means nothing, dryness shouldn’t be a big issue either. Cool (not cold) dry place best for tire storage. Leaving in sun not good...
Old 12-09-2018, 06:27 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

Wind chill means nothing, dryness shouldn’t be a big issue either. Cool (not cold) dry place best for tire storage. Leaving in sun not good...
Grant, is there anything you do not know about cars? As always, a great source of information. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2018, 06:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Grant, is there anything you do not know about cars? As always, a great source of information. Thanks!
Yeah, list of stuff I don’t know is much longer 😀

If using GT3 properly, tires should be getting replaced pretty often so things like humidity shouldn’t come into play.

Last edited by GrantG; 12-09-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:30 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

No there isn’t.

Quick Reply: It’s going to be in the 30s...Dunlop Sport Max tires