Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
911s are great in the snow with the right tires
Both effective and tons of fun!
Old 12-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Was out last night in 31 degrees on MPSC2's. All the fun stuff happens at lower speeds, which is a good thing on public roads.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:31 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 185 Likes on 103 Posts

I've got Pirelli winters on my stock GT3 wheels, no issues . 911s are great in the snow with the right tires
Tire rack refused to mount the 295 pirelli or Michelin N-spec 295 section rears on 12" wheels for the GT3. I am going to have it done at third party shop since people seem to have good luck with either 295 rear section n spec winter pirelli and Michelin in 12" rears.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:25 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT325
Tire rack refused to mount the 295 pirelli or Michelin N-spec 295 section rears on 12" wheels for the GT3. I am going to have it done at third party shop since people seem to have good luck with either 295 rear section n spec winter pirelli and Michelin in 12" rears.
My Porsche dealer mounted the Pirelli 295s Sottozeros for me with no issues at all..tires fit on the stock rims fine. So if all else fails maybe try your local dealer?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:09 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

My Touring has the Dunlops. Today was sunny but in the low 30s. Has to take her for a drive. No problems. Better for her than leaving her sit in the garage for weeks and weeks.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:36 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

This is what can happen on a Pirelli DH in the cold...

Old 12-08-2018, 01:20 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Performance tires are designed to work in warmer temps...60 degrees and higher generally. The tread compound is designed to handle heat and to provide maximum grip at higher temperatures. When the temps drop, the rubber gets harder and less flexible and you lose grip. When it gets cold enough for long enough, the rubber can become so hard that it cracks under stress, which ruins the tire. Obviously as you use the tire it warms up, but cold pavement and cold air can suck the heat out of the rubber faster than you can put it in, especially if you're just driving on the street. Winter tires are just the opposite...the rubber compound is designed to stay soft and flexible in cold conditions, so they maintain grip. But, as temperatures get higher, the rubber is too soft and can't handle the heat and deteriorates quickly. All-season tires are somewhere in between...ok in the heat, ok in the cold, not great in either.
Originally Posted by GrantG
Supposedly can crack the rubber at -10C (or +14F) or below. This happens whether driving or just storing in a place where they are exposed to this cold.

Tirerack says not to store below 32F:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=221

Michelin info:

Thanks for the knowledge!!
Old 12-08-2018, 02:40 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
This is what can happen on a Pirelli DH in the cold...

Ouch! Just out of curiosity, how cold was it and how long were they out in it?
Old 12-08-2018, 08:06 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

Ouch! Just out of curiosity, how cold was it and how long were they out in it?
Overnight temps were in the 20s. I tracked them at Barber in the 30s. Ended up with some outstanding lap times in the 40s and kept an eye on them all day. I didn't notice any cracks until late in the afternoon Figured I had pushed my luck enough already and called it a day.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:54 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

My vote - order the snows from Porsche and never think twice - 0 degrees, sunny, and dry - I am all in for driving the RS. More power too.

Sorry - nose lift was up (Winter wheels/tires)

Sorry - nose lift was up (Winter wheels/tires)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:52 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

The roads are salted, the car is in the garage with the trickle charger connected, but I'm giving this winter driving thing some thought since I'm getting severe withdrawal symptoms. Setting aside the idea that road salt will get all over, under and inside the car chassis for the moment.

Most of us who want to and do drive in the winter will do so on regular surface roads, roads that are plowed and salted. So long as we are smart about it, we can use our standard tires. The issue is that the cold can make these R compound tires hard as rocks permanently, and can crack or damage them.

So, why not just regular, non-R compound tires in the correct sizes, rather than snow tires that are the wrong size? Here's an all season tire in the right size: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE980AS&frontTire=435WR 0RE980ASXL&rearTire=03WR0RE980ASXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&a utoMake=Porsche&autoYear=2018&autoModel=911%20GT3&autoModClar=Standard%2 0Brakes. Nothing beats the R compounds in the summer for performance, but these all seasons should be better in the winter, likely also a better deal than snow tires on cold but plowed and salted roads. Even the summer tires, like the Mich 4S may be better No?
Old 12-08-2018, 03:04 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Supposedly can crack the rubber at -10C (or +14F) or below. This happens whether driving or just storing in a place where they are exposed to this cold.

Tirerack says not to store below 32F:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=221

Michelin info:

Thank you Grant!
Old 12-08-2018, 03:04 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

It is time.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
The roads are salted, the car is in the garage with the trickle charger connected, but I'm giving this winter driving thing some thought since I'm getting severe withdrawal symptoms. Setting aside the idea that road salt will get all over, under and inside the car chassis for the moment.

Most of us who want to and do drive in the winter will do so on regular surface roads, roads that are plowed and salted. So long as we are smart about it, we can use our standard tires. The issue is that the cold can make these R compound tires hard as rocks permanently, and can crack or damage them.

So, why not just regular, non-R compound tires in the correct sizes, rather than snow tires that are the wrong size? Here's an all season tire in the right size: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ndard%20Brakes. Nothing beats the R compounds in the summer for performance, but these all seasons should be better in the winter, likely also a better deal than snow tires on cold but plowed and salted roads. Even the summer tires, like the Mich 4S may be better No?
Don’t be fooled by the size. Nearly all 305/30/20 do not fit (as recommended) on a 12” wide rim. The N rated 305s for the GT3 are wider than usual to work with the car and its wheels.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:18 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Overnight temps were in the 20s. I tracked them at Barber in the 30s. Ended up with some outstanding lap times in the 40s and kept an eye on them all day. I didn't notice any cracks until late in the afternoon Figured I had pushed my luck enough already and called it a day.
Thanks. I'd have called it a day on those tires too . I'm actually a little surprised they cracked given those temps and the fact that it got into the 40s and presumably you got some heat in the tires in order to run decent lap times. I ran some Michelin slicks in the high 20s(!!), and they actually did ok. But (and it's a big but), I borrowed some tire warmers to get the tires up to 150 before I went out and I kept moving pretty much the entire time I was out, so while the tires definitely cooled off they didn't get as cold as they would have if they'd sat outside for an hour or two between track sessions.

Quick Reply: It’s going to be in the 30s...Dunlop Sport Max tires