Sponsored by:

OEM center muffler reinforcement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:51 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile OEM center muffler reinforcement?

I realize the titanium center muffler is prone to cracking/failure. Is this a matter of not if, but when?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to decide on an exhaust setup for my RS. Currently leaning towards Dundon headers with side deletes. What I am trying to avoid, if at all possible, is having to pay another $4k for a Dundon/Akra center muffler. After going through the coolant pipe issue with my old 997 GT3, I must admit I am a little fed up with paying out of pocket to "fix" an issue Porsche should've fixed at the factory, particularly with a car under warranty.

Which leads me to ask if there's any reinforcement methods for the OEM muffler? I see Fabspeed has a reinforcement brace which, in their words, is "designed to extend the fatigue life of the factory muffler."

Does anyone have any experience with this who cares to share their feedback? Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:20 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

My question on the muffler band-aid is if you brace one area what is the resultant on the rest of the shell? The force on the shell wasnt changed. Will a new area become the problem? Only time and miles will tell. I didn't see any warranty on the brace. Maybe there is.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:32 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Get a Dundon Street system (long tube with cats) and the OEM Ti muffler can "take" it for a while. Have quite a few customers that have had no issues...

Race headers are a different story...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 12-08-2018, 06:53 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Get a Dundon Street system (long tube with cats) and the OEM Ti muffler can "take" it for a while. Have quite a few customers that have had no issues...

Race headers are a different story...
Jaime- your LT w/ Cats, coupled with the OEM rear on a .2 GT3, and for some one that only street drives- would one expect that the rear would last a good time?
Old 12-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Jaime- your LT w/ Cats, coupled with the OEM rear on a .2 GT3, and for some one that only street drives- would one expect that the rear would last a good time?
What we’ve seen with the 991.1 RS, yes that’s correct.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:19 AM
exedra68
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Titanium Muffler strength

@Jamie@dundonmotorsports Sorry to revive an old thread but I’m planning on doing a titanium RS muffler conversion for my 991.1 C2S. Do you know whether the same effects would be seen on this motor? I’m currently running race headers which got me a little concerned…

Quick Reply: OEM center muffler reinforcement?