Sponsored by:

Seat Electronics of LWB's vs Sofas

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 02:15 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Seat Electronics of LWB's vs Sofas

I am sure this has been covered at length but I can't seem to find the answer.

If I order a car with LWB's but am able to find a set of used 4 way or 18 way sofas, will the electronic functions of those seats work with the power supply?

Its hard to not order the car with LWB's but I really want a set of sofa's for daily use. I would even like to see if I could get an upholstery shop to replace the sofa seat inserts with houndstooth like can be done with the LWBs.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!
Old 12-06-2018, 02:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrett

If I order a car with LWB's but am able to find a set of used 4 way or 18 way sofas, will the electronic functions of those seats work with the power supply?

Its hard to not order the car with LWB's but I really want a set of sofa's for daily use. I would even like to see if I could get an upholstery shop to replace the sofa seat inserts with houndstooth like can be done with the LWBs.

With all your other cars "Now in the garage", do you really think you'll drive RS daily? But, I know some people don't find the LWB's comfy (I love them)...

Sorry, don't know the answer to your question. I think the sofas that come with RS are the 18-ways and I imagine those could have different demands than the 4-way sofas or LWB's.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:25 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Its not for the RS. I have buckets in it and the GT4 and love them on the track and on the weekends, but not everyday. I am thinking of trading the GT4 for a GT3T and at the end of the day want sofas in the GT3T.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:31 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

As I understand it.

If you have LWBs stock, it's a pain to swap in sofas because you must add functionality to the wiring harness.

Much easier to go from stock sofas to LWBs as it's simply a subtraction of functionality.
​​​​​
Old 12-06-2018, 02:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Its not for the RS. I have buckets in it and the GT and love them on the track and on the weekends, but not everyday. I am thinking of trading the GT4 for a GT3T and at the end of the day want sofas in the GT3T.
Ah, ok
Old 12-06-2018, 02:35 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
As I understand it.

If you have LWBs stock, it's a pain to swap in sofas because you must add functionality to the wiring harness.

Much easier to go from stock sofas to LWBs as it's simply a subtraction of functionality.
​​​​​
That's what I figured. I think I'll stick with the basic 4 ways unless I can find a good reason for the 18 ways. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2018, 02:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's what I figured. I think I'll stick with the basic 4 ways unless I can find a good reason for the 18 ways. Thanks!
Many people actually find the 4-ways more comfortable than 18's...
Old 12-06-2018, 02:44 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Thanks for the info Grant. That's the way I am leaning.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:42 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

I had my dealer swap 4ways into my touring. It was successful, but he charged me more than I thought
Old 12-06-2018, 03:52 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
I had my dealer swap 4ways into my touring. It was successful, but he charged me more than I thought
Thanks. Where did you pick up your 4 ways? Would you mind PM'ing me the cost so I have an idea?
Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
As I understand it.

​​​​​
This is not correct. Assuming you start with LWB the only thing that isn't in the harness from the factory is the seat heating. The power, airbag, occupancy sensor, and seatbelt components of the harness are common to both cars. Since the GT cars don't get the fancy keyless entry and memory programs all of the controls other than seat heating are local to the seat and powered off the 12V in the harness. When I pulled my 18 ways out of my .1 GT3 I adjusted them with a 12V supply out of the car and used them as lounge chairs in my office...
Old 12-07-2018, 09:25 AM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

thanks a ton for the info!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:13 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts
Default I am considering the same thing (thanks, CBrett)

Originally Posted by loopsandsounds
This is not correct. Assuming you start with LWB the only thing that isn't in the harness from the factory is the seat heating. The power, airbag, occupancy sensor, and seatbelt components of the harness are common to both cars. Since the GT cars don't get the fancy keyless entry and memory programs all of the controls other than seat heating are local to the seat and powered off the 12V in the harness. When I pulled my 18 ways out of my .1 GT3 I adjusted them with a 12V supply out of the car and used them as lounge chairs in my office...
Checking with dealer now. Apparently one of the dealer owners did this same thing (ordered car with LWBS and then stored them and swapped in black leather 4 ways for easier daily use). Of course, that is a dealer so the cost was probably zero.

I will report back what I find out.

Thanks for the great info re: the harness. Encouraging.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Wasnt hard for me to order a car without LWBs; saves me money, saves my back, and plus I’m not taking my car to the track regularly (I use it for everything). However, I can’t deny that LWBs with houndstooth look beautiful.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:23 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Hear, hear!

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Wasnt hard for me to order a car without LWBs; saves me money, saves my back, and plus I’m not taking my car to the track regularly (I use it for everything)
+1

Quick Reply: Seat Electronics of LWB's vs Sofas