Sponsored by:

Paint issues at delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 01:16 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AZFlat6
I can see how my original post may have been confusing. My apologies for not elaborating.

Although it appears that the tail lights are gouging/digging into the paint in these areas, I've looked into this from every angle and the edges of the lights are not physically touching the paint that I can recreate. This seems to strictly be some type of paint peeling at the exact location where the edge of the taillights come in close proximity to the bumper cover. Even pushing on the edge of the taillights they do not come in contact with the bumper cover.

My only conclusion is that the paint did not cure properly in these areas (or had surface contamination prior to paint) and somehow peeled off. Whether this was from some type of plastic wrap covering that peeled the paint upon removal, or from some type of high speed airflow around the edge of the tail lights causing the area to be ultra exposed, I have no idea. It definitely needs a resolution though.
I have seen this on a few 991.2 cars and I agree. The tail lights do not touch the body but it's clearly exactly where the lower inside corner of the tail light resides. The best I can figure out is that the tail light corner bumps the rear bumper upon original installation. I am really not 100% sure how someone is doing it but it's definitely from the tail light corner.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:19 AM
AZFlat6
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on rear bumper paint / taillight "rubbing" problem

I took my car into Porsche North Scottsdale today for further inspection. Rick Perkins, Porsche's Field Technical Manager flew in from Las Vegas specifically to look at my rear bumper cover problem. While there I was told that PNS had seen another car in inventory with the same taillight rubbing issue as well (in addition to the original 991.2 that had come back to the dealership some time ago for the same issue).
Rick was service oriented and took lots of pictures and said that he would be filling out some information to submit back to corporate. I have also emailed my rep at PCNA Exclusive who helped with my PTS order and informed her of the situation. She responded back that it would now become a Porsche customer care issue. If I heard Rick correctly, (at least PTS orders) have rear bumper covers, deck-lids, and mirrors painted off-site. Not sure if this is related to the rubbing problem or not. Would seem to be a bumper cover fitment issue at this point.

If anyone else has seen these marks on 991.2 models, please post pics. My marks look nearly identical, and in the exact same spot, as the marks on the OP's car.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:56 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
These days paint is less than 300micron (0.2millimeters)
very easy at any scratch to get to the primer
try 100-150 microns on a Porsche...hence why we clear bra full vehicles routinely
Old 12-20-2018, 09:58 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Starting to check more often now and a current GT3 had these on it
Old 12-20-2018, 12:55 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry

Moe, was that a PTS car or lizard?
Old 12-20-2018, 06:32 PM
AZFlat6
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry

Interesting. Exactly the same spot. Thank you for looking and reporting back.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:01 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. Exactly the same spot. Thank you for looking and reporting back.
not a paint issue, fitment issue.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:08 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

whatever it is, the paint wasn't even cured on the green one before the issue happened. I almost wonder if its the process in which they are handled while being painted.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:07 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

If you want to see what 'bad' looks like from the factory, search no further than this:

Old 12-22-2018, 12:20 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
10:59. Look at all the FOD/Debris under the paint (lower right)...wow. You weren't kidding. Brand spanking new 488 Pista with a Maaco paint job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnvuHd86380&lc=z232vfzhyqa1xlkkhacdp43ayoymktzzdtxbpafv5wpw03c01 0c
This is not an ex-Campanario color for Ferrari, this is a standard factory paint job performed by the robots - you are not comparing apples to apples.

Great move forward. Porsche North Scottsdale is tops, had my last GT4 service there and was very happy. Best wishes for resolution
I took my car into Porsche North Scottsdale today for further inspection. Rick Perkins, Porsche's Field Technical Manager flew in from Las Vegas specifically to look at my rear bumper cover problem. While there I was told that PNS had seen another car in inventory with the same taillight rubbing issue as well (in addition to the original 991.2 that had come back to the dealership some time ago for the same issue).
Rick was service oriented and took lots of pictures and said that he would be filling out some information to submit back to corporate. I have also emailed my rep at PCNA Exclusive who helped with my PTS order and informed her of the situation. She responded back that it would now become a Porsche customer care issue. If I heard Rick correctly, (at least PTS orders) have rear bumper covers, deck-lids, and mirrors painted off-site. Not sure if this is related to the rubbing problem or not. Would seem to be a bumper cover fitment issue at this point.

If anyone else has seen these marks on 991.2 models, please post pics. My marks look nearly identical, and in the exact same spot, as the marks on the OP's car.
Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
whatever it is, the paint wasn't even cured on the green one before the issue happened. I almost wonder if its the process in which they are handled while being painted.
​​​​​​​Solvent
Old 12-23-2018, 06:44 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, PTS, Green yellow / Gelbgrün (color code 137)
Old 12-23-2018, 02:26 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I was curious ... searched and "How to remove tail-lights / turn-signal lights on 991.2 GT3" :

youtube watch?v=bDLfmD5avh4
Old 06-19-2019, 12:07 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,475 Likes on 948 Posts

Searching on rear bumper damage issues- my 991.2 GT3 has an odd little small indentation on the rear bumper cover, just above where the wrap covers, very near where the bumper meets the vehicle body. Paint isn't affected, but there are two little tiny ~ 1/32" indents, like if you took the tip of a fork and pressed in...very odd. Just noticed it. A rock chip doesn't make sense there...only things I can figure is from the factory or a service tech on bumper removal? Will try and get a pic of it...I will likely just put a little wrap over it...it's not too noticeable at all unless you know what you're looking for...

If it's a fitment issue maybe this is part of it, or when bumpers are painted off-site. Mine is carrara white metallic.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:38 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

My side view mirrors had thin paint upon delivery. I would have never noticed. This factory painting deficiency was picked up thanks to Moe and his team, who took my car upon delivery for paint correction and wrapping. I notified PCNA and they gave me a $500 gift certificate to cover the cost of re-painting the mirrors in PTS light ivory. The flaw was on the top of the mirror, where that ridge runs in parallel with the mirror. The paint was thin and uneven in that area. For $13,000, one would THINK that Porsche would provide an A+ paint job. Not.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I had no idea so many others had problems with their PTS paint jobs. I’ve had significant issues on my last two. I thought I just had bad luck.

Quick Reply: Paint issues at delivery