991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Paint issues at delivery

Old 06-28-2019, 11:46 PM
Porsch
User

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM View Post
PTS is a different process than the robots and is probably being handled in a sloppy way.
yep
Old 06-29-2019, 12:37 AM
chance6
User

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand View Post
I respectfully disagree with that, at least from the circle of GT owners that I know of (myself included). We tend to be somewhat ****. If anything, I feel we hold PAG to an even higher standard (than say the plethora of 911 buyers that just pick a car from the showroom availability, with a lease/short term ownership POV).

In this round especially, when PTS spiked not by a percentage but by multiple (#13K), I absolutely expected flawless craftsmanship. What I didn't expect is to have to wait for it for 9 months (Feb prod moved to Oct with radio silence in between). Luckily little to no imperfections other than an occasional transport cover blemish, that was addressed during paint correction.
I concur, count me in the very meticulous and particular category. That said, my carrara white metallic paint is fantastic. Car was wrapped from new- but just looks beautiful.

Me personally, I'd rank GT silver up there too in my experience. Gloss black is on the pooper end of the spectrum...just easy to get swirls and the like.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:47 PM
Detailed Designs
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand View Post
I respectfully disagree with that, at least from the circle of GT owners that I know of (myself included). We tend to be somewhat ****. If anything, I feel we hold PAG to an even higher standard (than say the plethora of 911 buyers that just pick a car from the showroom availability, with a lease/short term ownership POV).

In this round especially, when PTS spiked not by a percentage but by multiple (#13K), I absolutely expected flawless craftsmanship. What I didn't expect is to have to wait for it for 9 months (Feb prod moved to Oct with radio silence in between). Luckily little to no imperfections other than an occasional transport cover blemish, that was addressed during paint correction.
I completely agree with you and would like to rephrase my comment as I should have said the majority of 911 owners. GT owners do seem to have higher expectations but there are far more non-GT 911s produced and that appears to be the foundation the QA process is built upon. With that said, I believe the gist of QA being a numbers-driven choice remains.
Bespoke paint protection film services • Modesta Pure Glass Paint Coating Systems • Restorative Detailing & Paint Correction
Let us improve your Porsche Experience Center delivery Read HERE
770.648.6030 -by appointment only
[email protected]
Old 06-29-2019, 02:35 PM
C5driver
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve regretted tagging this post prior to taking delivery of our PTS Carbon Grey Metallic GT3 for the untold amount of stress it generated. Hearing and seeing the paint issues some people were having, one forgets the statistical sample size of this forum relative to the general Porsche population, but I am glad in a way that it forced us to meticulously inspect the paint when we first saw the car.

Ultimately, there were no egregious imperfections and nothing approaching that which OP saw. In fact, even with the flashlight I brought, there were no visible swirl marks.

That being said, it will be going in for paint correction and PPF and he will he measuring the paint depth all around. I’ll be curious to hear what he thinks.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:07 PM
GiuseppeM
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
I’ve regretted tagging this post prior to taking delivery of our PTS Carbon Grey Metallic GT3 for the untold amount of stress it generated. Hearing and seeing the paint issues some people were having, one forgets the statistical sample size of this forum relative to the general Porsche population, but I am glad in a way that it forced us to meticulously inspect the paint when we first saw the car.

Ultimately, there were no egregious imperfections and nothing approaching that which OP saw. In fact, even with the flashlight I brought, there were no visible swirl marks.

That being said, it will be going in for paint correction and PPF and he will he measuring the paint depth all around. I’ll be curious to hear what he thinks.
Color is spectacular do you have more pics?
Old 06-29-2019, 04:57 PM
chance6
User

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Carbon gray metallic was a Panamera color is that right? In this case, since it was so recent, I wonder if that helped matters for you in terms of paint quality...possibly not.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:25 PM
C5driver
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM View Post
Color is spectacular do you have more pics?
Thanks! Color is arguably the most subjective of all the options, but we think it's a wonderful choice for our needs and quite transformative.

Here are pics from our delivery: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...very-done.html

Old 07-11-2019, 03:36 PM
C5driver
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chance6 View Post
Carbon gray metallic was a Panamera color is that right? In this case, since it was so recent, I wonder if that helped matters for you in terms of paint quality...possibly not.
Yes...for about 3 years, IIRC.

The car is back from paint correction and the depth across all panels ranged from 6.7 to 8.5 mils. There were no thin spots and definitely none of the issues that OP found on his.

The person prepping the paint is currently working on one of the Pebble entrants and is a local Porsche SME. He said the quality largely depends on the experience of the person applying the paint. Maintaining a consistent angle is important, FWIW. Most of the technical stuff went right over my head.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: