991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Paint issues at delivery

Old 12-06-2018, 08:25 PM
AZFlat6
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZFlat6 View Post
OP - I'm experiencing the exact same issue with my tail lights digging into the rear bumper on my PTS 2018 GT3. Just showed my dealership last night and they have started looking into it. The car has only 1k miles. Not sure if it showed up this way or has happened while driving but the "digging" marks are way past the paint and into the bumper cover material at this point. I'll get some pics and post ASAP.
Here are the pics of the taillight gouging on my rear bumper cover...

Curious how many other cars out there are experiencing something similar?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's appalling, especially from a manufacturer consistently at the top of JDP's 'initial quality' ranking.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:13 PM
MovingChicane
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unacceptable.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:40 PM
2006m5
User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does this show with tail lights in place?
Old 12-06-2018, 10:03 PM
nxfedlt1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Curious how many other cars out there are experiencing something similar?
thanks for posting this, I'll shoot you a PM. This is exactly what is going on with mine, both sides.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:12 PM
MJG911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not PTS, but this is an area I will definitely check when I take delivery! Sorry you have this, that looks horrible
Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 PM
Lodi
User

My Arrow Blue GT3 had some areas that looked like crazing on the rear fenders when I took delivery. Looked horrible at the dealership. A couple days later I could not see them. I am guessing they flattened out. I think the PTS paint is very soft. The rest of the car looks pretty good. As it was explained to me, these cars are pretty much hand painted so the quality and consistency is not at the same level as standard colors.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:41 PM
Perimeter
Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
That's appalling, especially from a manufacturer consistently at the top of JDP's 'initial quality' ranking.
Keyword "initial"
Then you take a closer look....
Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 PM
porsche518
User

way more noticeable at night under light, was told it was the issue sometime seen with metallic paints. My car didnít have a a lot of the other paint issues seen by others. But still spent 170k on a car these issues shouldnít exist and I do not care that 300k plus Ferrariís have paint issues as well. This isnít a race to the bottom.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:17 AM
Lazyflatfoot
User

I too had problems with the protective wrap on the hood of my 2018 GT3 when I took delivery of it in January. I just took it to my detailer who spent a couple of hours correcting the issue.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MovingChicane View Post
Unacceptable.
Agree 100%.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:49 PM
CDinSing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had similar delivery issue with the RS. I helped take the factory coverings off and we found swirls on the hood and front bumper. My dealer had their detailers work on it for a day to remove it all before going for clear film. They did a great job at their cost. Even though I felt it was unacceptable to ship a car with swirled paint, apparently it is not unusual. I wonder how many people don’t look critically at their paint accept delivery and pay for paint correction later at an independent detailing shop?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:56 PM
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing View Post
Had similar delivery issue with the RS. I helped take the factory coverings off and we found swirls on the hood and front bumper. My dealer had their detailers work on it for a day to remove it all before going for clear film. They did a great job at their cost. Even though I felt it was unacceptable to ship a car with swirled paint, apparently it is not unusual. I wonder how many people donít look critically at their paint accept delivery and pay for paint correction later at an independent detailing shop?
Probably a lot, Carmen.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:16 PM
ChicagoWhale
User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your detailer did that when he pulled out the light.

There is ZERO chance a paint chip that large would not have been noticed by: the factory, by the port inspection, by the PDI process, by the salesperson, by you, and then by the detailer when he did his inspection before he pulled the light.

If you're suggesting it happened over time, why would the detailer not tell you about it before the light was pulled? Every detailer I know goes over the entire car with a microscope before he touches the car, so he can show you the most extreme before/after comparisons he can create. "See all these paint defects Mr. Customer... I'll fix them for only $4,000."
Old 12-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Perimeter
Super User

Originally Posted by porsche518 View Post
... way more noticeable at night under light, was told it was the issue sometime seen with metallic paints. My car didnít have a a lot of the other paint issues seen by others.
But still spent 170k on a car these issues shouldnít exist and I do not care that 300k plus Ferrariís have paint issues as well. This isnít a race to the bottom.
PTS in Ferrari Speak is ExtraCampionario where the car is sent off site to a separate body shop, Zanasi, for paint. The result is that these cars have signs of being properly sanded, not by robots, resulting in a far better paint job.

So no, a Ferrari PTS does not have these problems and you truly get a far better paint job

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: