Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO: Three Kings - 2RS vs 3 RS vs GT3 manual

Old 12-05-2018, 12:12 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Not at Angelsey. Re-read the article. The more high speed a track is the greater advantage 2RS.

The less high speed and more technical a track advantage 3RS.

This is clear.

Even at at one of the highest speed tracks on the planet, the Ring only 9 seconds separated them.

Regardless, we know which one came out on top with Evo and which has genisis and Motorsport derived. Winner.
Same to you. Gt3 RS did a 1:14 on standard cup 2 the gt2 rs 1:12 on the same tires. The gt2 rs is always faster than a gt3 rs, tight or not, same chassis (even tho alignment is ****tier on gt2 rs), similar weight, similar traction, much more torque to help on those short bursts of accelaration, same brakes, ***** and similar skill is the only things required.
And on the ***** matter, look at the graph, the arrival at 'rocker' corner (I think) the driver of the gt2 rs got scared that he coasted for a while before braking. That's half a second or more there.
GT3 RS is an hell of a car, very fun, very fast but the gt2 rs is just faster, at any track, a gt3 rs being faster just doesn't make any sense.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Pretty impressive run for .2 RS. Now its obvious why Porsche hasn't really released any to compete against the 2RS in comparos.
Put the 2RS on R cup tires and the 3RS will see nothing but tail lights as demonstrated by Porsche's records on the Ring. However, it is still quite remarkable that the 3RS gets as close as it does to the 2RS with almost 200 HP less. These are both truly phenomenal cars, but when push comes to shove the 2RS is king.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Same to you. Gt3 RS did a 1:14 on standard cup 2 the gt2 rs 1:12 on the same tires. The gt2 rs is always faster than a gt3 rs, tight or not, same chassis (even tho alignment is ****tier on gt2 rs), similar weight, similar traction, much more torque to help on those short bursts of accelaration, same brakes, ***** and similar skill is the only things required.
And on the ***** matter, look at the graph, the arrival at 'rocker' corner (I think) the driver of the gt2 rs got scared that he coasted for a while before braking. That's half a second or more there.
GT3 RS is an hell of a car, very fun, very fast but the gt2 rs is just faster, at any track, a gt3 rs being faster just doesn't make any sense.
the 1:14 was said to be on a damp track. that's why it was even slower than the regular GT3, so that time is not relevant.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Pretty impressive run for .2 RS. Now its obvious why Porsche hasn't really released any to compete against the 2RS in comparos.
Originally Posted by Waxer

Bingo. Zactly.

The .2 3RS is a comparative steal and should be fetching much higher ADMs. Go figure.
Thank you for the amusement, gentlemen.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

A good read to be sure. One can just about determine the product management charters for each car and what the design targets were. They're all fantastic bits of engineering and certainly have their niche.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:31 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks, great read. We are lucky to own any of the 3.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Id buy all 3 if I could.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Show me where I said the 3RS was faster? Pretty sure that’s not what I said or implied.

My my point is simple. The performance delta is not is great as you would expect from a car that has 170 hp advantage and certainly not what you expect for $200,000 Delta .

In fact while Bamber, Pilet, Vanthoor and Estre have the ability to turn faster lap times in a 2RS than a 3RS the fact of the matter is in the real world 3RSs turn faster lap times with mortals behind the wheel. Read some of the threads dealing with European deliveries and track events at spa and other tracks.

I think the 2RS is an amazing car but the fact that the 3RS comes damn close with less and was chosen as the king of kings by Evo for that reason and others makes at least to me the more amazing car. .. and you can get one for $200,000 less.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:17 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
A good read to be sure. One can just about determine the product management charters for each car and what the design targets were. They're all fantastic bits of engineering and certainly have their niche.
Originally Posted by drdonger
Thanks, great read. We are lucky to own any of the 3.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Id buy all 3 if I could.
Yup.... they are all great. I feel fortunate to have one. Fun article....
Old 12-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

There is a direct correlation between then number of units to be produced and the size of the ADM. Having owned the .1 and.2GT3 and now own the .2GT3RS and can say with confidence they are all great cars. The .2RS is too much car for me and I'm not afraid to admit it.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Great read. Thanks Chris!
Old 12-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Dot23RS
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
There is a direct correlation between then number of units to be produced and the size of the ADM. Having owned the .1 and.2GT3 and now own the .2GT3RS and can say with confidence they are all great cars. The .2RS is too much car for me and I'm not afraid to admit it.
i respectfully disagree. To date there are only about 10% more 3RS (~1k) then 2RS (~900) in NA. The average ADM is about $30k versus $90k. There won’t be three times as many 3RS yet ADM’s have always been around triple.

I agree with Waxer, the $200k difference in cost for a minimal performance improvement makes the 2RS difficult to justify.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Gitana991
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Being the lucky owner of both, these are two very different cars, both so special in their own way. The GT2 RS is an event and truly unique: I don’t know if saying it is a step forward from the GT3 RS is accurate but it looks, sounds, feels and drive that extra special. Interestingly also it has more mechanical noises than the 991.2 GT3 RS, similar to the noises one had in the 991.1 3 RS. This is another reason I am happy to have it and I have to say I am missing the noises in the Gen 2 3 RS. But where I feel so blessed to also have the gen 2 3 RS is that 9K revving n/a engine! And the car is so accurate, planted, easy to position with the smooth engine delivery and throttle control which, my average driving skills acknowledged (!) is not as achievable in the GT2 RS.

the GT3 RS is a perfect track car and I am happy Porsche made it a bit less everyday GT than the previous gen.

But what a unique car the GT2 RS is and what a smile it puts on my face each time I get close to her!
Old 12-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dot23RS

i respectfully disagree. To date there are only about 10% more 3RS (~1k) then 2RS (~900) in NA. The average ADM is about $30k versus $90k. There won’t be three times as many 3RS yet ADM’s have always been around triple.

I agree with Waxer, the $200k difference in cost for a minimal performance improvement makes the 2RS difficult to justify.
From the outset Porsche made it clear that the 2RS is a very limited production car certainly more so than the 3RS. I believe all the 2RS's have be allocated and produced. Not the case for the 3RS.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:18 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Definitely a great read

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EVO: Three Kings - 2RS vs 3 RS vs GT3 manual