Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO: Three Kings - 2RS vs 3 RS vs GT3 manual

Old 12-13-2018, 11:54 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Golden Boy

i want what i want and 9000 rpm is a minimum. I want NA exhaust and engine noise 2rs cant supply this at any price

only thing it can do better is use distilled water every 3 laps
2rs passenger seat below on track day for reference.

Fake reference picture...those aren't distilled.....
Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Real picture, shopping for a morning at Spa

Old 12-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, after 4000 miles in 2RS including trackdays with drivers who can max out 3RS, the delta is 2-3s on a circuit like Spa or Silverstone, which are pretty fast and laps of say 2m15-2m40s. On same rubber (Cup2)

The 2 is not as well balanced and basically pulls away a lot down the straights, (or more accurately, as soon as it’s wheels are straight), then loses a bit under braking and in the turns. In that way it gradually pulls away over the lap.
As I’ve said before, the Turbo is much heavier, and therefore weight distribution is worse, and more rear-biased, with handling like an older 911.

The 3RS is ‘better’ to drive, as it does what you want, more of the time. The 2RS is, for some reason much more of an ‘event’ than any other 991. It just feels like a monster as soon as you start it up, and continues to try to beat you up every time you lose concentration. It’s the first road car in a long time that is flawed enough to call the bluff of everyone who says cars have become too easy to drive.

After the initial culture shock, the 3 is great, relatively unthinking fun on a track day, but I much prefer the scale and challenge of the 2; in the way that Paintballing is exciting, but the Hunger Games are meaningful.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:56 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
FWIW, after 4000 miles in 2RS including trackdays with drivers who can max out 3RS, the delta is 2-3s on a circuit like Spa or Silverstone, which are pretty fast and laps of say 2m15-2m40s. On same rubber (Cup2)

The 2 is not as well balanced and basically pulls away a lot down the straights, (or more accurately, as soon as it’s wheels are straight), then loses a bit under braking and in the turns. In that way it gradually pulls away over the lap.
As I’ve said before, the Turbo is much heavier, and therefore weight distribution is worse, and more rear-biased, with handling like an older 911.

The 3RS is ‘better’ to drive, as it does what you want, more of the time. The 2RS is, for some reason much more of an ‘event’ than any other 991. It just feels like a monster as soon as you start it up, and continues to try to beat you up every time you lose concentration. It’s the first road car in a long time that is flawed enough to call the bluff of everyone who says cars have become too easy to drive.

After the initial culture shock, the 3 is great, relatively unthinking fun on a track day, but I much prefer the scale and challenge of the 2; in the way that Paintballing is exciting, but the Hunger Games are meaningful.
LOL. Yeah, but you get to go home after paintballing.
Don't doubt those deltas on longer faster tracks like Spa. That's what 160 more HP and 200lbs more torque will do. Two different cars in two different classes.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:37 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

having driven 3RS and 2RS back to back many times (roads only), i decided to sell the 2RS and keep the 3 a bit longer. Ultimately the sound and the sharpness of the naturally aspirated engine is better to my ears and preferences for the street and i imagine on track too. The 2RS is noticeably quicker back to back but to me this difference is a novelty rather than correlation to driving enjoyment. The notion that the 3RS would need any more power to make it more fun doesn't compute for me.

Further, there are other interesting turbo engines in competitive cars available now and soon, but there is nothing else like the 3RS engine available, and even less likely in the future. I am more excited by my incoming 600LT at 100k less than the 2RS ..

to each their own!

Old 12-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
having driven 3RS and 2RS back to back many times (roads only), i decided to sell the 2RS and keep the 3 a bit longer. Ultimately the sound and the sharpness of the naturally aspirated engine is better to my ears and preferences for the street and i imagine on track too. The 2RS is noticeably quicker back to back but to me this difference is a novelty rather than correlation to driving enjoyment. The notion that the 3RS would need any more power to make it more fun doesn't compute for me.

Further, there are other interesting turbo engines in competitive cars available now and soon, but there is nothing else like the 3RS engine available, and even less likely in the future. I am more excited by my incoming 600LT at 100k less than the 2RS ..

to each their own!

Amen!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EVO: Three Kings - 2RS vs 3 RS vs GT3 manual