View Poll Results: GT3 touring future classic
Yes
35.78%
No way
30.28%
Maybe-ish
33.94%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Let's discuss - GT3 touring future classic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 08:47 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 511 Posts

The touring value is a temporary thing for a few years. The touring is produced in higher numbers than each of the Targa iterations...and the GTS models.....

The 992 will take care of the collectibility factor as the car will basically be the same in Touring mode and with more power.........in 2018 close to 500 Touring delivered so far and as a previous contributor mentioned it is a trim of the 2018 GT3 of which they made 2500 for the US......Close to 8500 world wide.......

The Speedster trumps it.........same model more desirable and less production...........
Old 12-04-2018, 08:51 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Of any car I’ve owned...and I’ve owned too many to admit. It’s my favorite

but I’m daily driving it, don’t care what it’s worth because I won’t sell it

pretty much the perfect car

in the long run 20 years from now they might be collectible

as Jerry Seinfeld called it...dead guy car...only trades hands when owner dies

Between my touring and defender I really don’t ever need any other cars
I will buy a 911R one day thou, have a “high” mileage one I’m in line for....4,000 miles high lol
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (01-05-2021)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:07 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

This is another Value threat but I will bite-

The R will be collectible not the Touring. No plaque, not numbered- just a trim package of it's Big Daddy- (The Wingey gave birth to her- )

There will be a 992 Touring and I bet a Convertible version some time.

But - if the 992 iterations are FI - they will all be instant classics especially because of the Manual.

Now - I hope this does not happen because I do not want my car to appreciate. Then I might start being too careful with her and then it will be no longer fun to drive. If She depreciates slowly- a bonus.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:45 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone

Between my touring and defender I really don’t ever need any other cars
I know or a NAS 110 that sold in the teens when it was a few years old. I owned a 94 D90 POE which sat on the lot well into 1995. I was offered an ECR rebuilt hella edition NAS D90 (want to talk about rare there were only 4 made in unique colors) in the mid-50s with a blown 4.6 in the depths of the recession (still kicking myself on passing on that one). I thought for sure the importablity of ROW trucks would kill the NAS value, but if anything the opposite has happened.

Bottom line, you can never predict what will be collectible with any certainty (I am not bad at it as I got in on defenders and lotus early and air cooled fairly early, but only because I liked them) and if you actually want to drive the thing, collectibility is a mixed bag. On the plus side, people valuing them creates a market for parts so people start reproducing things and cars tend to be well cared for, on the downside parts get expensive/unobtainium, insurance is expensive and you worry when you are out you are going to bin something very valuable. I mean how many NAS defender 110s see off-road or 73RS see a track?

For now, the GT3T is a nice car with some potential for collectibility. But I don’t think it will be anything special for a couple decades if ever barring something like it being the last 6MT GT car which seems highly unlikely. So drive the thing.

PS drifting, the guys tracking the builds are pulling the build sheets for each car. So while there is some margin for error, if anything, there numbers are probably a bit low. Estimate sure, but a very accurate one.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:50 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Best looking 991
when winged i do prefer 997
Old 12-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

I know or a NAS 110 that sold in the teens when it was a few years old. I owned a 94 D90 POE which sat on the lot well into 1995. I was offered an ECR rebuilt hella edition NAS D90 (want to talk about rare there were only 4 made in unique colors) in the mid-50s with a blown 4.6 in the depths of the recession (still kicking myself on passing on that one). I thought for sure the importablity of ROW trucks would kill the NAS value, but if anything the opposite has happened.

Bottom line, you can never predict what will be collectible with any certainty (I am not bad at it as I got in on defenders and lotus early and air cooled fairly early, but only because I liked them) and if you actually want to drive the thing, collectibility is a mixed bag. On the plus side, people valuing them creates a market for parts so people start reproducing things and cars tend to be well cared for, on the downside parts get expensive/unobtainium, insurance is expensive and you worry when you are out you are going to bin something very valuable. I mean how many NAS defender 110s see off-road or 73RS see a track?

For now, the GT3T is a nice car with some potential for collectibility. But I don’t think it will be anything special for a couple decades if ever barring something like it being the last 6MT GT car which seems highly unlikely. So drive the thing.

PS drifting, the guys tracking the builds are pulling the build sheets for each car. So while there is some margin for error, if anything, there numbers are probably a bit low. Estimate sure, but a very accurate one.
i found my defender in a barn, 21k miles, nas spec...looked new...paid well under market . No rust anywhere

sent it to safari hp, and it is like new now

people pay crazy money for them...weekly I get six figure offers for it...I just treat it as a normal car. They are numbered trucks thou. Not for everyone but very special

i wisj is I bought a 110 nas, they are rare gems
Old 12-04-2018, 10:13 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone

i found my defender in a barn, 21k miles, nas spec...looked new...paid well under market . No rust anywhere

sent it to safari hp, and it is like new now

people pay crazy money for them...weekly I get six figure offers for it...I just treat it as a normal car. They are numbered trucks thou. Not for everyone but very special

i wisj is I bought a 110 nas, they are rare gems
They are numbered, but there are close to 7000 of them.

My NAS 110 is the never ending project. Part of the reason I decided to get into new Porsches now. Less wrench turning. Put it in perspective, the number of GT3T will be about the same as NAS 110 (there were 535).
Old 12-04-2018, 10:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,732 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The Touring is a spayed GT3
Old 12-04-2018, 11:19 PM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The Touring is a spayed GT3
Hilarious. Guess the R is an even more spayed version as the Touring is better, though more numerous.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:31 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
This. I may even exclude the GT2s from last list with the pace they keep cranking out more of them.

If Singer 30 yrs from now does a recreation based on the 991.2 body - there is a chance - otherwise can't see a good reason.

Too many produced, at the end of the day it is a trim package, and I wouldn't consider it 'rare' in the sense that there are still a lot of them built to be considered 'exclusive' or limited. On that note, - if you look at the NA statistics, there are just as many Tourings as manual Wing cars (literally just 10 cars difference), I don't see a deviation between one and the other in terms of price movements.
I only considered the GT2 has it has a unique engine and is being produced in fewer numbers than GT3’s and GT3 RS’s. The ultimate 991 combo would be a 2RS and Speedster. As a pair, you’d have access to most of the best experiences offered within the 991 range. Throw in a new 935 and all bases would be covered

Old 12-04-2018, 11:46 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

The market for collectible cars is dynamic. This means that each year the number of players IN THE MARKET changes and on average over time gets larger although can shrink along the way. By this I mean car collecting ebbs and flows depending upon many market factors. However The number of TOTAL potential players gets larger every year because every single day there are approx 227,000 (growing exponentially) more people on earth than the day before. Over time demand overtakes supply of collectibles causing prices to rise or at least not fall. So while Porsche produces more cars today than it did 10 years ago, its still produces very few GT cars relatively speaking and the size of the active pool of buyers continues to increase along with the supply. With that said I would bet on the 997 GT cars. Beautiful, well built, fast, analog and more rare. Regardless 991.2 GT cars will hold their own. They are still super rare relatively speaking. I have not seen one in a month and I’m in H Town.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:00 AM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Most collectible cars these days most mechanics can work on. Wait 15 or 20 years and see what these electronic wizard machines that we have now are like to work on. They will be a complete nightmare. All of the electronic suspension bits, the rear wheel steering, crazy computer activated transmissions. These are not things that collectible cars are made of. Plus there won't even be 93 octane available.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:06 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 511 Posts

Plus one
Old 12-05-2018, 12:09 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 197 Posts

I have one coming that will be my daily driver. Driving it yields the best value to me.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:12 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maspirito
Most collectible cars these days most mechanics can work on. Wait 15 or 20 years and see what these electronic wizard machines that we have now are like to work on. They will be a complete nightmare. All of the electronic suspension bits, the rear wheel steering, crazy computer activated transmissions. These are not things that collectible cars are made of. Plus there won't even be 93 octane available.
All the more reason the GT3T with 6MT is better. The suspension, RWS can be swapped out to no tech/delete as needed. No big deal.

Quick Reply: Let's discuss - GT3 touring future classic?