Sponsored by:

Winmax WE1 - Endurance brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Winmax WE1 - Endurance brake pads

I've reached out to the North American distributor for pricing and availability of these pads. Based on the friction profile, lower initial with mild torque increase with heat (very similar to Pagid RS29 and PFC08), these look like another type of pad which may be ideal for track use, to avoid early ABS jump in.

They aren't known well in the US much, but they are well known in the Japanese racing market, and also in Europe. Highly respected outfits like RSR Nurburg (Ron Simmons Racing) who live on the Nürburgring outfit all their cars, including their track-special 991 GT3's with the Winmax WE1 enduro pads.

Just wanted to bring some attention to these. There seems to be a growing trend of 991 GT3 owners who, like I, have also not been thrilled with these ultra-high bite, high friction pads that don't allow the precision/control desired on the brake pedal. It's been said that stock pads work great, and we all know Pagid RS29's work great too, so hopefully this will be another good option for those who want increased modulation. Interested to see how they compare cost-wise as well.

http://winmaxusa.com/products/
https://www.standardvsmodified.com/
Old 12-17-2018, 06:52 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

I've since confirmed the pad numbers, and prices. I was quoted by Evasive Motorsports at $351 front, $297 rear (List price is $390 and $330). They have to import them, which will take a few weeks, but I'm going to give them a try as well.

These cost significantly less (about $200 less than Ferodo or Pagid) than any other comparable pad available, and are an endurance compound with a lower bite and Mu, similar to Pagid RS29. .

Winmax WE1
Fronts: 1401
Rears: 1402

Last edited by Mvez; 12-17-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:14 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

FYI from the mu curves it looks like it's only 10-15% lower friction coefficient than DS1.11 once warm. Interested to hear how you like them.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:31 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

It's actually a pretty big difference, especially at the initial brake phase (about 20% less). The friction of the DS1.11 is a stout .48-.49 all the time, where the WE1 is .35 at around 200C, and .39 around 300C, peak of .45 well into the brake phase. This will be a night and day difference on the initial application. The ultimate stopping power will be there, but will require some heat and pedal pressure. That modulation with pedal pressure is what I feel the DS1.11 lacks.

WE1 has a pretty decent rise in friction between 300-400C, but I don't think that's anything of concern, as it begins to trail off slightly as it gets hotter, which makes it super easy to trail brake on. The RS29 numbers are virtually the exact same from 300C to 700C, which is typically where track pads operate. I've never had a problem with ABS using RS29 pads, nobody does. I know these friction plots are just like hp dynos, they vary based on the setup and system used, so same numbers can still be different, but that's all we have to base it on besides actual testing.

I actually sent an email to Ron Simmons at RSR Nurburg about the Winmax pads, because they use them on literally ever track-rental modified car they have, so they should have some input as to how they compare to Pagid or Ferodo…..hopefully they will take time to answer me.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:29 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Ah good point on the initial bite after they’ve cooled between braking zones. My issue with the DS1.11 has been ABS triggering on initial brake application as well (which is one reason I prefer stock pad feel), especially in areas with a lot of weight transfer where the front wheels are less loaded and the pedal goes stiff with reduced stopping power.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Ah good point on the initial bite after they’ve cooled between braking zones. My issue with the DS1.11 has been ABS triggering on initial brake application as well (which is one reason I prefer stock pad feel), especially in areas with a lot of weight transfer where the front wheels are less loaded and the pedal goes stiff with reduced stopping power.
Exactly. We have some corners at my home track where the car is loaded up to one side a bit, or cresting hills in fast corners that always triggers ABS even with the slightest brake application. It's a legit problem. You nailed it precisely, because once you get into ABS or stiff pedal, it extends the brake zone, so the higher Mu the DS1.11 offers isn't actually being utilized optimally, thus the actual friction level would be lower in that situation. A slightly lower Mu should allow some better modulation and by avoiding ABS, you can still maximize the pad's available friction, stopping in arguably the same distance with more control. Same as why you feel better on stock pads. My guess is your ultimate lap times have not suffered much, if any, as a result of switching pads.

As they say, proof is in the pudding, so we'll see how it goes. RSR Nurburg did reply and said they reached out to their instructors about how the WE1 performed on their GT3's, so should have some decent input soon as well.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:20 AM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Have either of you tried to switch the brake profile to PCCB via the PIWIS?
Old 12-21-2018, 12:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by reuben991
Have either of you tried to switch the brake profile to PCCB via the PIWIS?
Does that affect servo assist level or just ABS tuning?
Old 12-21-2018, 01:14 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 512 Posts

Interesting I switched to Girodiscs from PCCBs on my GT4 and didnt really feel much if any difference. I used the Ferrodo DS2500 pads. No changes via PIWIS.

Quick Reply: Winmax WE1 - Endurance brake pads