Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPC PFC Cup caliper kit info/review?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 09:56 PM
Raucky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPC PFC Cup caliper kit info/review?

I'm curious if there is any info out there about these cup car brake kits installed on GT cars?

TPC installed them on their turbo, but no real review or info that I can find.

I want to track my GT car more and looking for more clearance on 19" wheels from my pccb calipers. On my last GT car I ran 19" wheels with pccb and small rocks etc really took a toll on them and the inner barrel of the wheel.. My largest concern is the use of the factory brake master cylinder/booster/abs systems. I have no idea if the cup brake system is the same or even close to the street going system. I defiantly don't want to solve a problem and create a much larger one.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:39 AM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts

I think a better choice would be AP Radi-Cal kit from Essex.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:20 AM
zoran
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wind911
I think a better choice would be AP Radi-Cal kit from Essex.
Why?
I really would like to understand why AP Radi-Cal would be a better choice.
I would imagine that something like Porsche Cup car calipers/brakes have been tested and abused so much in last say 5 years.
I haven't heard of anybody complaining about the cup cars
STOPERS. They are winning races aren't they?
Well proven of the shelf product that is probably in a same price range, if not even better priced. They also will clear 18's.
Please explaine, Anyone.
I am in the market of buying better brake application for 991 gt3rs.
Thank you,
Zoran
Old 12-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Raucky
Instructor

I second your thoughts Zoran.......none of my cup car buddies complain about stopping power. I also know that the cars have "braking system's", so it's not always about the individual parts but the improvement of the whole. I'm not going to overhaul the entire street car system for the cup race system, as that's not realistic imho. I'm sure it could be done but at what cost, etc?

More of my interest is can and does the cup calipers work better than oem with std abs, master cylinder volume, and booster? Obviously still need to have modulation and pedal feel, etc etc.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by zoran
Why?
I really would like to understand why AP Radi-Cal would be a better choice.
I would imagine that something like Porsche Cup car calipers/brakes have been tested and abused so much in last say 5 years.
I haven't heard of anybody complaining about the cup cars
STOPERS. They are winning races aren't they?
Well proven of the shelf product that is probably in a same price range, if not even better priced. They also will clear 18's.
Please explaine, Anyone.
I am in the market of buying better brake application for 991 gt3rs.
Thank you,
Zoran
Cup's PFC brake system should perform great but as OP stated no one knows about how well it will work with street GT3/RS's MC and ABS system. Radi-cal kit is designed for GT3/RS so the bias/fitment is already figured out . If cost is not a concern I am sure one can install the CUP brakes and tune to make it perform better.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:38 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,381 Likes on 637 Posts

Be careful what you wish for- most cup car crashes are due to braking issues- front/rear Bias and lack of ABS make it very hard to feel the real edge, it takes a while to develop it.

Cup car brakes feel like wearing clogs and stepping on a rock.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:36 PM
Raucky
Instructor

The wahoo pedal is just as dangerous, as the loud pedal when used wrong.......and I'm not perfect.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:52 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

I'll second CJ's comments on this as I've had both - not something I would want in a street car. There are a lot more service intervals involved, track only/race pads are the only pads available for the PFC calipers as well. The braking the in the 991 Cup is the hardest component to learn in my view and that isn't something I see being of value in the street GT3's when that current calipers and braking system is great.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 972 Likes on 535 Posts

As of Dec 2018, we have done only one 991 Cup PFC brake conversion at this time. It is on our shop car. We paired the PFC 991 Cup calipers onto street car uprights by custom machining the parts to fit. By engineering calculation the 991 Cup brake conversion had shown to be a substantial upgrade in braking performance. The purpose of our custom conversion was to test the real world performance and feel with OEM GT3/RSstreet car "fixed" (non-adjustable) master cylinder and power brake booster maintaining the same braking bias and power assist ratio of a GT3/RS street car. The stopping power and balance is phenomenal as you’d expect. This car was built for the OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Challenge where each car is judged by the lap times, build presentation and uniqueness, and streetability. The point system in this series prevents competitors from taking a Cup car and put an interior in it then call it a street car. This series is intended for taking a real street car and modding it up to competitor's best creativity using current high performance technologies.

(Update) As of Jan 2020, TPC has been working closely with the PFC engineering team to bring to the market true bolt-on brake kits (available in 405/380mm and 380/380mm) for all 991-platform cars featuring the same ultra-rigid monoblock caliper forging and all other performance features as the highly-praised 991 Cup brake system designed and manufactured by PFC. Product link- https://www.tpcracing.com/product/tp...ke-kit-by-pfc/

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 05-10-2021 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Updated answer
Old 12-03-2018, 08:55 PM
Raucky
Instructor

Thanks for clearing this up for us.....neat sounding competition.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 972 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by Raucky
Thanks for clearing this up for us.....neat sounding competition.
No problem. Our Optima car did extremely well this year but didn’t attend all the races due to scheduling conflict with IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge. Zero braking issue. We are working to get the package to be competitively priced.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 12-07-2018 at 12:37 AM.

Quick Reply: TPC PFC Cup caliper kit info/review?