Old 12-01-2018, 08:33 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I have had my:
GT3.2 PDK since September 2017 (14mths) and clocked up 16,500kms
GT3 Touring since February 2018 (10 months) and done 6,500 kms
GT3.2 RS since July 2018 (5 months) and done 9,500kms.
AMG GTR since September (12 months) and done 11,000kms

So thats 42,000kms in 14mths across 4 cars. As you can see, the least driven car is the Touring. As mentioned above by Chriss88, it's just too noisy for taking on any long distance drives and yet I have happily taken the GT3.2, the GT3 RS and the AMG GTR on drives to Italy and the South of France. From my place that's almost a 4,000kms round trip for each car. I would never contemplate doing this in the Touring. Not even for a second. For me, it's pretty much confined to city work and short drives. Pity. I wanted to like it so much.
Wow Chris, that's a lot of driving! I had no idea the Touring is that much louder than the other GT cars. I wouldn't hesitate to do any of those drives you mentioned in my Touring, as I don't think it's that bad. It was just crossing Idaho, Utah and Nevada (over 1,000 miles) in 2 days that got to me. As I said before, I was cruising between 80 & 90 MPH the whole time and it got old.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:37 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Juggy
Is the GT3T actually that much louder than the 991.2 GT3?
Don’t get me wrong. it’s not a bad car, it’s just a loud car inside. The noise outside is no different to a regular GT3. The Touring just seems to have different acoustics.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:55 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I have 2000 miles in 3 months, and just put snow tires on. Bring on the cold weather.....
Old 12-02-2018, 02:41 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Great topic, I have put 500 miles on (2) trips in the last few weeks and I am not sure I purchased the right car. I sold my Turbo S to get the GT3 Touring and it is not as good of a touring car as I has hoped. For me the GT3 does not bloom until it is on the track and at speeds I could never drive on the street. I am debating on selling for a GTS or T before the 991's are no longer. My wife and I will put 15K miles on a year and with the most extreme example being our Turbo S and 10K miles in (2) months.

Specifically I am not thrilled with the lack of sound insulation, vibration of the engine at low load, lack of torque, single mass flywheel and lack of 7th gear.

I do love the car but am torn now to look at more standard model for Touring.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:47 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
Great topic, I have put 500 miles on (2) trips in the last few weeks and I am not sure I purchased the right car. I sold my Turbo S to get the GT3 Touring and it is not as good of a touring car as I has hoped. For me the GT3 does not bloom until it is on the track and at speeds I could never drive on the street. I am debating on selling for a GTS or T before the 991's are no longer. My wife and I will put 15K miles on a year and with the most extreme example being our Turbo S and 10K miles in (2) months.

Specifically I am not thrilled with the lack of sound insulation, vibration of the engine at low load, lack of torque, single mass flywheel and lack of 7th gear.

Hmmm:

Old 12-02-2018, 08:33 AM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
I have 2000 miles in 3 months, and just put snow tires on. Bring on the cold weather.....
I picked mine up April 28th and it had it's 12,000 mile service the Tuesday before Thanksgiving I'd put my winter wheel/tire set on before then. It'll accumulate miles at the same clip year round...

We wouldn't hesitate to hop in it and drive cross country. We'd just need to pack light
Old 12-02-2018, 09:08 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I have had my:
GT3.2 PDK since September 2017 (14mths) and clocked up 16,500kms
GT3 Touring since February 2018 (10 months) and done 6,500 kms
GT3.2 RS since July 2018 (5 months) and done 9,500kms.
AMG GTR since September (12 months) and done 11,000kms

So thats 42,000kms in 14mths across 4 cars. As you can see, the least driven car is the Touring. As mentioned above by Chriss88, it's just too noisy for taking on any long distance drives and yet I have happily taken the GT3.2, the GT3 RS and the AMG GTR on drives to Italy and the South of France. From my place that's almost a 4,000kms round trip for each car. I would never contemplate doing this in the Touring. Not even for a second. For me, it's pretty much confined to city work and short drives. Pity. I wanted to like it so much.
Wow, what a selection of vehicles. Seems somewhat redundant. If you have all of these vehicles could you comment on the ride quality (street) of the touring vs non-touring vs RS?
Why would you not contemplate driving long distances in the touring?
Old 12-02-2018, 10:41 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

No shame in moving on from a car that doesn't connect with you, otherwise what's the point of spending this much money if we aren't enjoying it..GT3 is a great car but the other 911s would definitely make for more comfortable tourers

Originally Posted by scb997
I picked mine up April 28th and it had it's 12,000 mile service the Tuesday before Thanksgiving I'd put my winter wheel/tire set on before then. It'll accumulate miles at the same clip year round...

We wouldn't hesitate to hop in it and drive cross country. We'd just need to pack light
I remember your thread with your blue '14, that is awesome. Fingers crossed you beat your .1 GT3 mileage!!
Old 12-02-2018, 12:03 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Winged - 6K miles in 5 months :-)
Old 12-02-2018, 12:23 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

It's a GT3 for heavens sake.... WTH did you expect??

It's not, nor was it ever intended to be, the marshmallow on wheels (comparatively speaking) that new Turbos are...

6,200 kms logged to date and for my application it's "my" ideal Porsche!!
Old 12-02-2018, 01:30 PM
Dr. Z
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
Default GT3 Touring

The GT3s actually do have a dual mass flywheel....
The sounds and feel of my Touring are very reminiscent of my 1981 911SC and 1991 964.....but with a lot more power.....
The sound of the NA flat six at 9,000 RPMs is incredible....
I had a 2012 997.2 Turbo and it was very smooth with a ton of torque....
It all boils down to what you really like and what fits your needs....
Old 12-02-2018, 02:08 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
It's a GT3 for heavens sake.... WTH did you expect??

It's not, nor was it ever intended to be, the marshmallow on wheels (comparatively speaking) that new Turbos are...

6,200 kms logged to date and for my application it's "my" ideal Porsche!!
I could not exactly test drive it, every car was sold and accounted for. I have driven the .1 on track and on the street and it was good just a bit austintatious with the wing and I am a manual guy. Right after test driving I purchased my GT4 and was very happy with it overall, if it only had more power and better gear ratio’s.

Looking for more power I switched to a GTR, not good, then Z06 which was at the dealer for service. The Z06 looked good, comfortable, made a good noise but was not reliable. So naturally the Turbo was next I was happy with the power and of course it was dead reliable! I even ran that car on OLOA with a strong finsh. The more I drove it the more I missed light weight and the manual. The Touring checked all the boxes, revised gearing, more power than the GT4, fantastic suspension and even had Sport Tex which I love so I found a ADM allocation and ordered the car.

If I could have a fleet it would stay but I already have too many cars!
Old 12-02-2018, 02:20 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Z
The GT3s actually do have a dual mass...
Good to know, I assumed with the first gear chatter, lightened clutch pedal and bucking if you allow the RPM to dip to low was from a single mass. They must have lightened it substantually versus the 991.1’s.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:53 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by scb997

Well, we know who will have the highest miles touring going forward.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:56 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
Wow, what a selection of vehicles. Seems somewhat redundant. If you have all of these vehicles could you comment on the ride quality (street) of the touring vs non-touring vs RS?
Why would you not contemplate driving long distances in the touring?
Touring and GT3 ride the same. GT3 RS a tad firmer. AMG GTR is the firmest of them all. A bit of a bucking bronco by comparison.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who actually tours in their touring?