Sponsored by:

TPC valved side bypass pipes- From raw material to the installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 06:41 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 513 Posts
Default TPC valved side bypass pipes- From raw material to the installation

I had a customer called today to order his second set since he loved the first set that was installed on a 911R that he had sold. He was going to transfer the first set on to his new GT3 but the buyer of the R wanted the pipes to go with the car. So he ordered a second set and I humbly thanked him for being a repeat customer. And then I thought it would be proper to say thanks again to all the TPC side muffler bypass users out there! I remember begging my boss to put this product in production back in 2015 using his personal 991.1 GT3 to test the prototype. So glad he gave it the green light. Three years later it has become a strong product in our lineup. We still don't claim any increase in horsepower. Just a static weight reduction of 39-40 lbs from the back end of the car, less heat retention in the area, and no drone. Anyway, thought it would be neat to share these photos from having the X-ray tested USA stainless steel tubing on welding table to installation on the car. Hope you guys enjoy the photos.

https://www.tpcracing.com/product/ra...r-bypass-pipe/
Old 12-01-2018, 09:55 AM
box986
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I like the side muffler bypass over rear muffler bypass but worry about the factory rear muffler cracking/blowing up.

TPC, please advice based on customer feedback. Thx
Old 12-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by box986
Personally I like the side muffler bypass over rear muffler bypass but worry about the factory rear muffler cracking/blowing up.

TPC, please advice based on customer feedback. Thx
The 991 GT3 shares the same part number steel center muffler as the 997.2 GT3 (which is part # 997.111.027.92 ). Over the course of a decade we have seen some stock 997 GT3 steel mufflers crack, the ones we've seen cracked were mostly the 997.1 GT3 version (which is part # 997.111.027.90 ). The 997.2 GT3 version steel muffler has shown to be less prone to cracking. This may be a result of the updated part number design or the application that's in or the surrounding environment. The stock center muffler can crack for a number of reasons. Some of the attributing factors are the rpm range frequently being subjected to, accumulated time riding the rev limiter or hanging around near the limiter, how tight or loose the muffler straps are(the straps can be over tightened pinching the muffler body with excessive pressure or can be loose enough causing excessive vibration during higher revs), in colder climates there's rapid temperature change from sitting near freezing sitting in the paddock to full track temp, certain tracks have certain engine loading characteristics, condition of the cats(if any), fuel octane that causes anti-knock ignition timing retard that results in higher exhaust temp, corrosion, and etc.

As a data point, I have 40+ track days on my 997 GT3 with side delete pipes and #92 steel muffler. So far zero crack and no sign of fatigue on any part of this muffler. I do expect my muffler to crack at some point in time so I purchased a spare one. The current price of a new #92 steel muffler is $2K so if I can get 50 or even 60 track days out of one muffler then to me its not a bad deal at all as far track consumables are concern. Other data points, some of my local customer has gotten 80+ track days and still going on one steel muffler. For street use and occasional track use muffler cracking is a rare occurrence, at least it is for the cars that we service in our area.

Titanium muffler for track is a different story. I have seen them cracked from extensive track use but not all of them do. Some of our local RS customers elect to replace their Ti muffler with steel muffler and preserve the Ti. As more of them do that the data for Ti becomes less active. The part # for Ti muffler did supersede from 997.111.027.99 to 991.111.027.90. I don't have sufficient data for the new part # Ti muffler.

In short, from my experience, the risk of #92 steel muffler cracking is low.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I have a double exit valves side muffler delete system.

Just be be cautious I added a steel GT3 center muffler and put the Ti in a box.
So far it’s fine after a lot of track miles.

Seems like the most bang for the buck.
No artificial valve open and closed with the key fob, always-on-always-off / open-closed.
You can also leave it operational with OEM button and OEM open-closed program.
More weight reduction where it matters.
Less heat around the engine and rear tires.
Sounds a bit better to me.
Cheap.

Only bit of downside is the torque loss under 2000? RPM but who cares in automatic and on track or spirited, fun runs, you’re never that low in the band.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:06 PM
tshih
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Are these TPC side mufflerbypass pipes easy bolt on with no need to reflash engine management software or chip to avoid throwing any check engine codes? Thinking of putting them on a 997.2 GT3
Old 12-27-2018, 09:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

No need to alter ecu with a reflash with side muffler deletes. Easy to install too.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tshih
Are these TPC side mufflerbypass pipes easy bolt on with no need to reflash engine management software or chip to avoid throwing any check engine codes? Thinking of putting them on a 997.2 GT3
The installation is very straight forward. The rear bumper needs to come off for the purpose of removing the bulky original side mufflers. No CEL and no flash tuning is required.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
No need to alter ecu with a reflash with side muffler deletes. Easy to install too.
^^ Cheers!
Old 12-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,386 Likes on 720 Posts

These look very well made.

If I do decide to do side deletes these will be my first choice
Old 12-28-2018, 10:23 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

I appreciate automotive art so I just can't stop taking pictures of these pipes no matter how many sets we have made. This set is newly made and will be shipped out today making a nice New Year present for a GT3 owner.

Quick Reply: TPC valved side bypass pipes- From raw material to the installation