Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta crash

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 04:46 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

awful to hear about accident but thank god no one hurt and thanks for sharing. my hpde is similar to those posting here. 20 yrs from beginner to instructor. never had accident but spun 3 times, all in gt3 due to mechanical issues. I too used to chase lap times last one being under 1 minute at limrock in gtr about 5 yrs ago. since then ive been tracking a stock street lotus elise. initially I had to give up on lap times bc car was so low hp and wasn't happy about it. now that ive gotten used to it, im more than satisfied driving around track with top off giving plenty of point byes. I get about10 track days out of tires and pads along with about 3000 street miles/yr. its very different driving a 180 hp car at 7 to 8/10s than pushing 500 hp to your max ability but it doesn't have to any less fun or rewarding.

im not sure what to make of the idea to have a dedicated race car for hpde due to safety reasons. obviously, it is safer for the driver than a street car but is that really what hpde is about? im don't think I want hpde drivers pushing to their max with a feeling of invincibility inside a full cage. that is what competitive time trials are for, in addition to obvious wheel to wheel racing.

I went to nring about 5 yrs ago and couldn't believe no one used helmets on track. the germans thinking was the helmet would lead to over driving accidents more than it would help in head injuries. thought they were crazy back then and I used a helmet the 1st day myself. then 2nd day I started to understand where they were coming from and drove without helmet. maybe that philosophy to have less safety equipment along with more driving within limits is better than the converse.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:17 PM
uberm3
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Two types of drivers who track their cars. Those that have crashed and those that will.

Truth - We have the same saying road racing motorcycles. After nearly a decade of competitive racing (bunch of podiums, 23 crashes from 30mph to ~140mph, a couple of broken bones, half a dozen race bikes - breaking one bike in half), I don't bring anything on track I'm not willing to walk away from on fire after throwing the match myself. Often when the SHTF (and it will) that's the best possible outcome. For some people thats a GT3. For me its a dedicated track car (a swapped E30 BMW with a full cage cheap and safe). My GT3 will be used for spirited drives and street enjoyment.

Glad all were safe. Cars can be replaced. People can't.

Last edited by uberm3; 11-30-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:35 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Rich, glad you are ok, like others have mentioned, that is the most important thing.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:43 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Glad to hear that you are well. A scary incident, indeed. Thank you for the very sober and analytical discussion of your incident. Food for thought. My track buddies and I have often discussed how much we want to push a street car. A couple of us stopped running Daytona because it was just too damned fast, and the consequences of an off at the speeds a modern GT3/RS is capable of at that track without a real roll cage and safety equipment were deemed just too much of a risk. For the most part HPDE's are a safe and fun way to exercise your car within limits, but there is a point of diminishing return regarding risk and reward in a street car, and peer/personal pressure can often obscure the difference.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:31 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
HMMM

most dangerous for the car or you

Road Atlanta has guard rails

Roebling has trees....trees kill people
True RR had trees and WG has Blue guard rails but I tolerate RR and love WG. Just never bonded with RA.

PS Welcome back and we need to have a brew next time we are at the same track.

Peter
Old 11-30-2018, 08:55 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Everyone contemplating at buying a GT3 for the track and a new hobby should be required to read this post so they can make a better informed decision for that purchase so they know the real story.

Glad the OP is okay and no one was hurt.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:57 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a really difficult transition, I feel, at the spot where I believe the OP encountered trouble (if it is the same as the posted video). The tendency for the rear to come loose unnerves me. I have been able to take the preceding turn full throttle and hang on but I have never felt comfortable at the bottom of the hill.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:05 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
basic cup car is $5K an hour no matter how you dice it up....assuming you dont insure or crash it. and you need a shop

Clubsport is only cheaper on motor re-builds....all the other stuff times out the same.

Race cars are pay to play....and burn money.....ive raced 996 cup, 997 cup and a vintage RSR clone.....Burned $120K in a year to run vintage car in HSR (and got a watch LOL)

Race cars are safer...as I crashed the 996 cup HARD into T1 sebring (right axle snapped at Apex into outside wall at full speed) and Vintage car HARD into wall at Savannah Harbor (braided brake line blew and lost brakes into wall). Walked away form both with wife watching.

Street cars, not caged are not safe...they are designed for street car speed wrecks with crumple zones.

Street cars still have time outs on items....and the higher grip tire you run the faster your car times out

DE is fun....but keep your car stock and drive it 8/10ths

Stability control is great if you are under its limits....as soon as you get above them it takes skill most don't have

Im going back to DE...leaving my car bone stock...drive it 8/10ths.....its really about drinking beer with friends after and telling lies. I dont care how fast I am anymore

Rich...sorry to hear about your wreck...as I dont know you but have been in your shoes. I quit for a few years after my last wreck...problem is I love cars....just not enough to risk loosing them anymore
And I thought I had a bad year with 5 wrecks, one that ended in fire and another fire due to an engine blowing (for all the gory details check out my racing blog in my sig)- but I still spent less than that!

To the OP an off with my 997 GT3 sent me to a full race car and like others I have no regrets even with a bad year like this last one. Safer, more intense (x10), and if you go spec racing ultimately cheaper or at worst same cost. Check out SCCA Spec Racer Ford- probably the most equal series out there, sealed everything, parts controlled, it’s all about driving, full fields and tight competition up and down the field. As they say, when one door closes another one opens- it did for me.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:47 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Best statement I read above (by Izzone):

Im going back to DE...leaving my car bone stock...drive it 8/10ths.....its really about drinking beer with friends after and telling lies. I dont care how fast I am anymore.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:05 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Best statement I read above (by Izzone):

Im going back to DE...leaving my car bone stock...drive it 8/10ths.....its really about drinking beer with friends after and telling lies. I dont care how fast I am anymore.
I rarely track anymore and had the hit the wall experience which made me reevaluate the whole thing like many others. Never timed myself because i wasn't doing it for that reason and didn't want to be pushing for that last tenth.

Just want to hang out and do the above. No illusions though anytime you are on the track even at 8/10's stuff happens. Cant control others, fluids, etc. Bottom line if you can't leave it on the track don't bring it and have the insurance. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Obturate
Racer

Everyone on the track are high achievers with a competitive spirit. It's hard to dial it back and be content with others being quicker.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:04 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
Everyone on the track are high achievers with a competitive spirit. It's hard to dial it back and be content with others being quicker.
This. Especially when you are in a slower car trying to keep up with the big boys. Or at least keep out of the way...
Old 12-01-2018, 02:55 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Obturate
cannot disagree more and this is exactly where hpde goes wrong. you cannot 'win' a track day so there should be next to no competitive spirit. competition is for time trials and racing not hpde. as i said earlier, ive been at this for 20 yrs from novice to instructor and i used to get the red mist in my eyes all the time but ive learned to put it away. i might be slowest car in instructor group w my lotus but im have just as much fun and very confident my greatest chance for a mishap will be on the highway driving home afterwards.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:01 PM
Obturate
Racer

I guess I should clarify. I race.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:03 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

oh ok for sure in racing. btw, thats a really nice cayman

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta crash