Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

delete
Old 11-29-2018, 12:34 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Wow. Turn 4 at RA is a rather innocuous turn, I wonder what caused the rear to let go like that. Thanks for sharing your story, its a sobering reminder of what can happen.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by RossP
Wow. Turn 4 at RA is a rather innocuous turn, I wonder what caused the rear to let go like that. Thanks for sharing your story, its a sobering reminder of what can happen.
Were the nannies (ESC, TC) left on or turned off? Any reason to think tire issues or anything slippery on the driving surface?
Old 11-29-2018, 12:52 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrantG
Were the nannies (ESC, TC) left on or turned off? Any reason to think tire issues or anything slippery on the driving surface?
Nannies were on. I never shut them off in my GT3s. Nannies can only do so much against the laws of physics. The driving surface was fine. Turn 4 is usually innocuous, but if you overdrive it and then try to get to an ideal position for the start of the esses, you get in trouble. I believe it was a recoverable event if I had just keep the wheel open a bit more before I started to bring the car back to the right. Part of the reason I shared the details is because I think it is easy to get overconfident in turns like this that seem "safe." The other variable that might have been relevant is that I had been driving my Cayman after my first GT3 caught fire, and prior to getting back into my .2 GT3. I built up a lot of kinesthetic memory for that mid-engine platform, which I believe would have been more forgiving in this particular scenario. That may have skewed my perception of the limits of the .2 GT3.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:55 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by RossP
I have never been to this track but in a simulator I have crashed on that turn a crap load of times. Probably my most crashed turn, because the final turn I was always super careful about, and turn 4 and 6 were critical to carrying speed. So I can definitely see it happening there, especially the way the S before it can destabilize the car if you go in too hot.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:03 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

On a race track, none of the turns are inoccuous when the car is at the limit. Some turns are ‘safer’ to go off at than others. At Road Atlanta, there is none like that!
Old 11-29-2018, 01:16 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Glad you and passenger are safe and you had insurance on the car.

I had a bad, high speed incident a couple of years ago riding shotgun at VIR in a street car with street car level safety. since then i wear full suit, hans, etc on track and am always (if driver) in a race prepped car or a factory built race car (when i have the pleasure of driving my GT4 CS).

Folks buying GT3 for 95% percent track use should really consider a factory built race car. plenty of really fun/just as fast cars with full safety and factory build for less money. use money saved to run said car.

Hope your back driving on track sooner than later. Incidents happen, just be prepared for them as best you can...
Old 11-29-2018, 01:17 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

It’s always sad to hear these stories but I am glad no one was hurt which is always good. I liked reading your insights and track reports and considered you a very competent and safe driver. It can happen to any of us. My track friends drive a mix of full race cars and street cars and we have the debate you describe all the time. Each of us has our own answer based on how we weigh risk, our need to find the limit or have fun at 7/10, cost, and value of a dual purpose vehicle. What we agree on is we love the hobby and enjoy the track experience.

Glad you are ok and enjoy whatever decision you make.

Last edited by CDinSing; 11-29-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

rich

thank god u and passenger got out ok. track
is both fun and dangerous. like u , I tracked for a loooong time in street cars then modified street cars the built race cars and finally factory race cars. the safety issue cannot be over emphasized.

many believe HPDE is innocuous but if u had an incident (u will sooner or later believe me) u know.

thanks for sharing and let’s all be safe.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:41 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

thank you for sharing this story, and I am glad everyone is ok, it takes courage to share such incidents but for me its a timely reminder, its easy to get over confident as you build speed. One of my good friends recently crashed and he unfortunately did suffer some injuries and that convinced me to add all the correct safety equipment, although I am still tracking a street car I too have the internal debate re purpose built racer.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:45 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Thanks for sharing and glad everyone is OK....Very impressed you can set your ego aside on a board that has an overabundance of it to share what is a story for many in the past and many in the future....

I'm sure once things settle in your head you'll be back in a prepped car....I don't know you but know your type.....the quest to have fun and go fast don't disappear....it sounds like you did it safely before and likely will be safer moving forward.....
Old 11-29-2018, 01:51 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
Nannies were on. I never shut them off in my GT3s. Nannies can only do so much against the laws of physics. The driving surface was fine. Turn 4 is usually innocuous, but if you overdrive it and then try to get to an ideal position for the start of the esses, you get in trouble. I believe it was a recoverable event if I had just keep the wheel open a bit more before I started to bring the car back to the right. Part of the reason I shared the details is because I think it is easy to get overconfident in turns like this that seem "safe." The other variable that might have been relevant is that I had been driving my Cayman after my first GT3 caught fire, and prior to getting back into my .2 GT3. I built up a lot of kinesthetic memory for that mid-engine platform, which I believe would have been more forgiving in this particular scenario. That may have skewed my perception of the limits of the .2 GT3.
Its a good reminder to respect all corners. Admittedly, after hundreds (maybe thousands) of laps at RA, I go into autopilot at some areas of the track which can lead to mistakes. I am interested in seeing any videos if you are comfortable sharing.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:03 PM
tcracing
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a very similar incident in my 993 RS CS some years back, same turn at RA and with my pro coach also in the right seat. Only difference is we stopped one inch short of the wall, and had no damage (except for all the red clay that covered the car). So good hear that both you and your coach suffered no injuries and that you had insurance!
Old 11-29-2018, 02:12 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Rich, and glad you and the coach are ok. This type of incident is always on my mind when I am on my favorite frequented track. I feel that track moreso than others frequented can present a problem. The, I've done 1000 laps here mindset and yet I need to focus focus focus. The other tracks I am already hyper sensitive an cautious.

Had a friend with a similar incident and the next time I saw him he was driving a GT4 clubsport - nice ride.

Glad your ok.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:19 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Most importantly, glad everyone came through unscathed.

Your last paragraph is so true. I think everyone with a fully prepped race car likely started in a street or street/track prepped car. I for one will rarely ever take a street car on the track anymore. They just do not feel safe to me on the track as a fully caged car, (or as fun and/or as fast). Take a break from the track. If you haven't been in a fully prepped race car feel free to reach out to me as I am local and can potentially point you in the right direction depending upon if you want to race or track a race car.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta crash