Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LA auto show - red rims, 200 units, 991

Old 11-27-2018, 07:25 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Are there really 200 people who want a non-street legal race car with no series to race in? Given the price on used cup cars I am somewhat dubious.
197 will be wrapped in bubble wrap and stored for RM auction 2043
3 will actually see track time
Old 11-27-2018, 07:29 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
197 will be wrapped in bubble wrap and stored for RM auction 2043
But I need the downforce now.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:37 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

This is boring. AMG GTR Pro is more interesting.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Let's guess how much ADM. Half a million?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

BTW with only 200 made, thats not even enough for 918 VIPs.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:11 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Dude you are not suppose to post that yet........

It only came out not 14hours ago.
whoopsy doodle....
Old 11-27-2018, 08:14 PM
Raucky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much before adm? Or do I have to wait till tomorrow to find out?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:26 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

I do see the need and business case with this recent development of track-only performance cars (GT2RS CS, AMG GTR Pro, some offers from McLaren).

There is not enough safety in all street cars to be used at their limits on racetracks. The speeds street cars are achieving on racetracks are getting or exceeding professional race cars. Adding the necessary safety at the factory automatically makes the cars ineligible to be street legal.

Things to consider:

1) A proper full cage (not a rollbar)
2) Harnesses
3) Fire Extinguisher system
4) Racetrack oriented brake pads and brake fluid
5) Race tires
6) Additional brake cooling
7) Additional transmission and differential cooling
8) Stiff springs that can manage a true track tire
9) Stiff bushings that won't flex in excess when using true track tires.
10) Race wheels (because real track tires don't come in 21"+ wheels)
11) Race seats with enough support for track use
12) HANS compatible with the race seats

Some people address these 12 items, by adding them to their street cars. They would be adding +/- $25k on parts/labor, the car are still street legal because they have a license plate, but don't be involved on something serious with a passenger on the streets, as things could turn ugly due to these track oriented changes.

At the same time, the option should not be to buy a Pro-level or Pro-Am level race car, which are normally built for rules and regulations in the corresponding racing classes (GT4, GTE, GT3, GT2, and similar), and they need the support of a race shop, use special fuel, etc. The costs of running a GT3 Cup and similar offerings from Audi, Mercedes, McLaren, Ferrari are well documented.

So, there is a void between high performance cars that can be used for track days and true race cars. This is where these GT2 RS CS and AMG GTR Pro can play. Based on their street cars, with safety and track oriented modifications to serve the track enthusiasts that just want to DE their cars safely, not go into AM or PRO racing.

What I disagree with is the limited number. Let people order them and not place an artificial cap (or production number), deliver them with a limited warranty or no warranty at all, and build them so they can be maintained easily, without complex Motec and/or data acquisition, just oil changes, tires and brake pads, transported on open/enclosed trailer by any decent towing SUV. Most street cars I see on track days arrive in trailers anyway, so it is no different than transporting these track-day only cars.

At least on U.S. roads where most speed limits are fairly low, and roads are mostly flat, there is really no way to enjoy a GT2 RS, GT3 RS or something similar unless you are breaking traffic laws.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:42 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

LINK
Live Stream

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 11-27-2018, 10:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Are there really 200 people who want a non-street legal race car with no series to race in? Given the price on used cup cars I am somewhat dubious.
I don’t see a giant demand in race cars.
So much choice, de few series to race in.

On the other hand, its very safe and a race car with PDK could be coat effectieve to run in DE’s.

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
LINK
Live Stream

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Thanks!!
Old 11-27-2018, 10:18 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

there are more cars that I'm surprised haven't been discussed, which are coming...or should I say variations. I don't think this will be in high demand. The limited edition cup car didn't even sell out, and was barely mentioned on this site.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:36 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
I do see the need and business case with this recent development of track-only performance cars (GT2RS CS, AMG GTR Pro, some offers from McLaren).

There is not enough safety in all street cars to be used at their limits on racetracks. The speeds street cars are achieving on racetracks are getting or exceeding professional race cars. Adding the necessary safety at the factory automatically makes the cars ineligible to be street legal.

Things to consider:

1) A proper full cage (not a rollbar)
2) Harnesses
3) Fire Extinguisher system
4) Racetrack oriented brake pads and brake fluid
5) Race tires
6) Additional brake cooling
7) Additional transmission and differential cooling
8) Stiff springs that can manage a true track tire
9) Stiff bushings that won't flex in excess when using true track tires.
10) Race wheels (because real track tires don't come in 21"+ wheels)
11) Race seats with enough support for track use
12) HANS compatible with the race seats

Some people address these 12 items, by adding them to their street cars. They would be adding +/- $25k on parts/labor, the car are still street legal because they have a license plate, but don't be involved on something serious with a passenger on the streets, as things could turn ugly due to these track oriented changes.

At the same time, the option should not be to buy a Pro-level or Pro-Am level race car, which are normally built for rules and regulations in the corresponding racing classes (GT4, GTE, GT3, GT2, and similar), and they need the support of a race shop, use special fuel, etc. The costs of running a GT3 Cup and similar offerings from Audi, Mercedes, McLaren, Ferrari are well documented.

So, there is a void between high performance cars that can be used for track days and true race cars. This is where these GT2 RS CS and AMG GTR Pro can play. Based on their street cars, with safety and track oriented modifications to serve the track enthusiasts that just want to DE their cars safely, not go into AM or PRO racing.

What I disagree with is the limited number. Let people order them and not place an artificial cap (or production number), deliver them with a limited warranty or no warranty at all, and build them so they can be maintained easily, without complex Motec and/or data acquisition, just oil changes, tires and brake pads, transported on open/enclosed trailer by any decent towing SUV. Most street cars I see on track days arrive in trailers anyway, so it is no different than transporting these track-day only cars.

At least on U.S. roads where most speed limits are fairly low, and roads are mostly flat, there is really no way to enjoy a GT2 RS, GT3 RS or something similar unless you are breaking traffic laws.
You are being reasonable and logical. What does that have to do with limited Porsche cars? What they really want is for the 918 owners to feel the same anxiety and pain that us mere mortals feel when wanting to buy a GT car. PTS will be 50K over!! And then after ordering it they will be told "sorry, not for the first 62.375 buyers. Sofa seats for them too. But they will get mag wheels. Sized perfect for a key chain.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:41 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

If you can't drive it to Cars and Coffee to show off to your friends, Porsche will miss 98% of that market.
When the remaining 2% are smoked in their first HPDE by a GT3 Cup Car at half the price, their goes the rest.
Only the Bubble Wrappers will remain.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:49 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^thanks for the morning belly laugh LOL
Old 11-28-2018, 12:09 PM
JonA85
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/la-...-turbo-racecar

Search this Thread